Head conversion to bathtub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our Selene came with 2 heads. The master en suite included a full tub with shower, and the guest/day head included a stand-up shower stall. During 8 years of ownership neither nor my wife even once used the tub except to shower. The only practical use of the tub was to store provisions (mostly beer and wine) when packing for the Bahamas. We had it stacked about 5 ft deep! When considering a tub on a boat, first consider where you will get the water to fill it, especially if you want it hot - our (relatively large) water heater held about 20 gallons and many hold far less. In short, I would have far preferred a better stand-up shower and more storage in place of the tub.

My Bayliner 4788 has a wonderfull full size bathtub in the master head :)

We had a tub in a previous boat. We cut the front side down to about 6” tall so it was easier to get in and out of. My wife kept skinning her shins climbing in and out. We never had a thought of using it as a tub because of water conservation and lack of hot water. It was great as a shower.

We have a tub. Never used it for bathing, just showering. But it's a great place to put wet clothes, shop vacs, buckets, etc. until they dry. Oh, and cleaning off the dog after he's rolled around on the beach. Having more space to shower in is nice.

If you're considering removing a toilet to expand the 2nd head for a tub, I'd recommend against that. That's a single point of failure which could ruin your whole trip.

Also if you remove the 2nd head you will kill the resale value. Not many people are willing to give up the 2nd head in favor of a tub.

Also if you remove the 2nd head you will kill the resale value. Not many people are willing to give up the 2nd head in favor of a tub.

Unless someone wants a tub......

I LOVE my small tub in my Mainship and it has been used a LOT. I've thought about turning it into a jacuzzi!

A tub is awful nice when the air is cool or you just want to soak with a beer.

As for water.... sure you have to plan. With my 130 gallons the tub takes about 50 of that or less. The hot water heater is small so I'll pre fill and a bit later when the heater catches up, top it with hot water. Good for at least one tub full between marinas.....

Has anyone converted a second head to a bath tub?

Does someone have a yen to sit in dirty water? Last time I had that urge was October 1991 in Sydney, Australia because the tub was so unique. But then I had to get in the shower to rinse off the residual grunge.

When I long-term cruised the crew always used a sunshower on deck to have hot water & keep from having to clean the teak grate in the real shower. I'd long ago removed the hot water heater to make more room for provisions. It's amazing how hot a sunshower can get & that it will clean & rinse you from head to toe. It's also great fun to shed clothes on deck.

It's also great fun to shed clothes on deck.

Agreed, just maybe not for everyone else within view.

I can't see ever wanting to use a tub on board. The amount of water needed, yikes. That and bringing all of it up to a reasonable bathing temperature would take a pretty serious water heater. That and there's no view, stuck down below in a tub? That seems awful.

Tangentially, I've always wondered how large yachts handled filling hot tubs. They aren't keeping them full under-way, are they?

As most hot water tanks on boats are also heat exchangers. I would just start which ever engine is looped in. Let it warm up and then fill the tub. Granted I wouldn't fill the tub unless one of two things, 1. At a marina with a good water supply ready to refill the tanks. or 2. Have a water maker able to re supply.

Yes larger yachts do keep the hot tubs filled. Covered sometimes while underway and with less water in them.

I agree with everyone so far, changing out the second head for a tub could be a serious hit in resale value. However, if that is of no concern and your ok taking it in the shorts when it's time to sell. Forge ahead. Sometimes we make changes in our homes, boats, RVs, etc that have no value other than to ourselves and there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy!

IF the tub is mostly to be used dockside , to preserve tank water, a metal animal tank or an inflatable tub might suffice?

Dale - I also enjoy a good soak in a bathtub!

But sorry - not in a half-sized bathtub located in the claustrophobic space of most heads.
You lost me as a buyer as well.

We pulled the tub out of our master bath at home and I'm installing a comfy claw foot out on the deck instead. I'm sure we'll lose buyers on the house because of it but that's ok.

Do it any way you like it!

While I also wouldn't install a tub in the second bathroom, having a smaller one on the upper deck to relax in, drink a beer, and enjoy the scenery at a calm anchorage, certainly has a lot of appeal.

Ok, that thought has passed.

Ted

We looked at a Gulfstar when we were buying our current boat. The PO had removed the forward head and made a radio room. The boat had been for sale for about 1.5 years. The price was way below the market for that model. We passed on it due to only one head, as had a lot of people apparently. The last time I saw it listed the price was about 1/2 of the same model on Yachtworld. Someone bought it for 1/2 price.

My spouse wanted a bath tub, so I converted the forward head, which had/has a shower wand/faucet...wet head. I pulled out the toilet and fabricated a tub from two large plastic utility sinks (Home Depot). There were some complex cutouts and shapes in order to make the unit completely removable without causing damage to the surrounding cabinetry and teak trim. It was "plastic welded" together (Harbor Freight plastic welding kit)....very sturdy. The original shower drain in the floor of the standing area was modified so that the tub drained into the original shower sump/pump under the floor. Worked great, but my spouse found it to be a little claustrophobic even with the door open. So I carefully removed it and reinstalled the head. By the way, I had mocked it up in carboard to be sure I could get it through that door, twist it, and slide it in at an angle. It was about 3' X 4.5'. The gaps on the sides were addressed with wood trim. Looked nice. Can't tell it was ever there...

Tubs use way too much water to even be a consideration on our boat. If someone wants to soak, the ocean is conveniently located just aft of the swim platform. If someone needs a shower, there is one located in the head. Military showers only on our boat. Violators lose their showering privileges.

I always figured if I or someone wanted/needed a tub....I would build one under one side of the vee berth. Still could use it for out of the way storage of light/clean things that could be quickly moved if the tub is needed.

The little built in tub was handy for things but getting rid of it, putting in a 5" shower pan which is still useful and made the shower almost home like, got 3 thumbs up from all who have seen/used it.

Last edited:
We cut it with a jigsaw and a sawsall. No I don’t have any photos, that boat was 5 boats ago and I tend not to keep photos of the old boats. We just cut the front side down and put a piece of wood in between the front of the tub and the inside of the tub. Then we glassed over and faired the new glass. We also glassed the top and sides of the area which had been vinly. After the glass work was done we painted with Awlgrip. We also sloped the bottom of the tub so it would drain properly. Before it would hold about a quart and a half of water that had to be mopped up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom