Engine Room Insulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

I'm thinking of re-doing my engine room insulation. Has anyone tackled this project?* What material did you use?
MT

Which of the reflectix products did you use?

I used Reflectix also. The one I used had two layers of foil on each side and a double row of bubbles. It took about 3 days including stripping all the old fiberglass insulation off and cleaning up the mess. I used cantact cement when against the fiberglass hull and screws and fender washers against wooden bulkheads, the overhead and doors. Sealed the seams with a heavy metal tape.
One of the additional benefits I got was a lighter and brigher engine room. Not to mention getting all the old dust from the fibergalss insulation away from the engines.

I would like to rework our ER insulation in the future but would like to keep the same style as I have. Is this a panel for a ceiling? How would you fasten it?
Steve

I used ceiling tile and used liquid nails the quick contact stuff about 10+ years ago with no problems.* On the tanks and some of the ceiling had large flat areas the rest of the engine room is filled with stuff.* We installed a new high rise muffler system which also quieted down the 671 and gen set.* Carpeting the*salon floor*also quieted and insulated the engine room.

Heck If i installed bubble wrap the grandchildren and I would probable pop them.* There is something addicting about those bubbles.*
wink.gif

No Noise from Soundown 2#sq ft lead is on all the upper hell hole surfaces.

*The top side of the PH sole is covered with a similar product , but no lead,that removes to access engine spaces.

This has a fitted heavy carpet , and conversation is easy at 1500rpm.

We will be rolling on one of the anti noise products (yes USCG ok) on as much of the vertical surfaces as can be done on the next go thru. Greymarine 6-71 directly under foot in PH.

The USCG aproved will resist fire to some extent.

FF

-- Edited by FF at 05:47, 2008-01-13

FF, do you know how much fire retardant is in the sound paint? Intumescent paint seems like it would be a great product to use on any flammable surface, in and out of the engine room on a boat. While you're there painting the sound paint, does it make sense to put intumescent paint on top? I mean it is a boat and money is no object, right?

Ken Buck

When I get the next big boat mag in the mail I will post the addresses of both mfg.

Too be in a commercial hell hole the product must not support combustion .

FF

Great I'd like to learn more about it. The intumescent paint actually expands and insulates the surface behind it to reduce transmission of heat, as opposed to just not supporting combustion. It may be that the sound paint already expands and deadens sound that way?

I'm eager to learn.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom