Rubber heat exchanger gaskets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Had 10 heat exchanger gaskets arrive today and they are made from rubber or black rubber like material.

The old ones were a heavy paper type material that tore when removing.
I'm thinking the rubber ones have got to be better yes?

The ones used in my Lehman SP225s are a rubber type gasket. They are maybe about 1/8” thick from memory.

The ones used in my Lehman SP225s are a rubber type gasket. They are maybe about 1/8” thick from memory.

Yeah, I would think it would be a better thing, for an owner, as they would be pretty much reusable.

Was pretty amazed. These were from Cummins China.
Arrived in Australia in 5 business days coming across on a jet plane with tracking every step of the way.
Total cost for 10 was $96

Cummins dealer here were approx 2 weeks wait and $2600 + freight.
Yes, $260 each +

Good deal Simi. Not as big a saving, but I bought a genset stop/start solenoid from Cummins Onan, proudly boxed as a genuine Cummins part, about $400 delivered from Adelaide,and made in China. Picked up an identical made in China spare from a Chinese supplier on ebay.au.$60,delivered in 24 hours from stock held in OZ.

]
Good deal Simi. Not as big a saving, but I bought a genset stop/start solenoid from Cummins Onan, proudly boxed as a genuine Cummins part, about $400 delivered from Adelaide,and made in China. Picked up an identical made in China spare from a Chinese supplier on ebay.au.$60,delivered in 24 hours from stock held in OZ.

Yeah, I knew Australia was from criminal stock but........:banghead:

Now that I've proved to myself it works I'll get a list together of bits for our big motor and genset and load up.

Many of the "Onan" diesel marine generators are actually powered by Kubota. The Onan/Cummins manual will list parts with Onan/Cummins numbers. When you receive these parts, the original Kubota numbers are removed or otherwise made unreadable. After figuring out which Kubota Diesel is used, it was possible to find the parts at much more favorable prices and get them faster. My Onan MDKD 8kW generator uses the Kubota D950, a very common and very good engine. This engine is also known to sailboaters as the Universal M25XP.

Daniel

To add to Dvarholy’s post, I found the exhaust overheat sensor, aka bimetal snap disk for my Onan MDKD - which is the same one used on cars to control electric radiator fans - for $15 instead of $112.

How in the world do you Oz guys get so screwed on pricing? Looks like some room for entrepreneurs to carve a niche.

Simi,

Rubber gaskets are common in industry HEs. Obviously the "rubber" used varies depending in the coolant and process fluids.

They are very long lasting and can often be reused. It's common for disassembly for plate cleaning to do more damage than the time the HE is actually in use. Take care with any retaining tabs or sections that tear easily.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom