Maniship 400 Door Key

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Our new to us Mainship 400 only has one key to the aft door, went to 3 places where keys are made today and everybody said the could not duplicate it.
Is there a recommended source to have spares cut?
Jeff

Post a pic? Southco and/or Mobela might have been OEM suppliers...

-Chris

I have a 400 and ended up going to a lock Smith to get keys cut. Lowe’s or local hardware stores didn’t have them.

I have a 2004 400 and I wanted to make extra keys. The key I had was a "Y1" blank. The I went to a hardware store and they told me they didn't have the blank, but had something close. The keys they made in the machine didn't work. The problem seemed to be the point of the blank was too long and therefore the key wouldn't go all the way into the lock.

So I ordered some Y1 blanks online and went back again.

When they put the blanks in the machine it didn't line up correctly but they made a few anyway that didn't look right. Then, another of the employees came by and made me several, virtually by hand, using the key grinder but not clamping it in the machine. Voila, they all worked.

Bottom line is to see if you need the Y1 blank and get some and ask a competent key person to do it by hand and maybe you'll get lucky.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 44
Oy! Gary! You got a new boat! Didn't remember that...

-Chris

Yale Italy

Our new to us Mainship 400 only has one key to the aft door, went to 3 places where keys are made today and everybody said the could not duplicate it.
Is there a recommended source to have spares cut?
Jeff

The locks on our Mainship 390 were made by Yale in Italy. The Yale number for the blanks is E8E1R. Blanks are not normally sold in the US, but you can an Ilco equivalent online.

I used Ilco Y220 999b (from EBAY) but the Y1 999 should also work (blade is just a little longer). Once you have the blanks, any machine should be able to cut them.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 50
Yep, got it last September. So far enjoying the sloooow lane.

Very nice, congrats. The 400 was on our short list when we were last shopping... Nice boat, but then we went the different direction.

With apologies to OP for the brief digression. :)

-Chris

Our 07 Pilot 34 uses Southco for the sliding door latch. If yours is a Southco, Boatoutfitters.com has pre-cut keys. You just need the code number off the existing key, or the latch.

Brett

Here is a picture of the key..says triovingIMG_20190725_101632.jpeg

Thanks for all the input..I found a old locksmith here in Savannah who made me 2 keys for $20....

I quit using local home improvement stores for keys. The kid behind the counter doesn't understand how lock tumblers work and therefore can't be sure a key is cut right. I almost always have to return keys that are not done by a pro locksmith that understands locks. My other option is to see below.

Marshalltown Burke Bar

31UGi6e7RsL._US500_.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom