The long, rambling thoughts of an indecisive man.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My kid brother, (ten years younger than me) worked until he was 65 and bought a house in Florida after spendin' all of his life in New York (Long Island.) He died before he spent one night in that house.

Well, Wayfarer is only waiting 3 years and he's in his mid thirties now so it's a little bit of a different situation than your brother.

While I do find it tragic when I read of one who died and never got to enjoy retirement, there's another situation I find far more sad. That is those who never made time for themselves and their families and ultimately died without ever truly living. They just survived. I could have been one of those had my wife not come into my life and given me new perspective and priorities. Saving and planning for retirement are important, but enjoying life along the way is also extremely important.

There's one course I think should be taught in high school and college and required for everyone, a course in striving for and in how to be happy in life. We discuss goals with young people, but the one I think is key is happiness. Money, jobs, other things should be geared toward that happiness, but they should be means of achieving it, not the goals themselves. In our society in the US today, we have a terrible shortage of family time. Parents don't know their kids. Couples grow apart as they never have quality time together. The stress builds up in people leading to mental illness and abuse of drugs including alcohol.

Well, Wayfarer is only waiting 3 years and he's in his mid thirties now so it's a little bit of a different situation than your brother.

And Wayfarer has a plan that seems very right for him. Doesn't need to be right for anyone else.

When I retired at 55 my fellow workers thought I was nuts and should keep on workin' to enhance my retirement. In one month I'll be 83 years old with 28 years of retirement under my belt. My only regret is that I couldn't afford to retire even earlier.

Hopefully, at least! Fingers crossed! I think I'll have a salad for lunch today... lol.

When I retired at 55 my fellow workers thought I was nuts and should keep on workin' to enhance my retirement. In one month I'll be 83 years old with 28 years of retirement under my belt. My only regret is that I couldn't afford to retire even earlier.

There's nothing nuts about that! They're all just jealous. Well, technically envious, but that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well. Good for you, sir.

Wifey B: People think retiring means you don't do anything. No, it means you do what you want when you want. I retired when I was 33. Hubby was 42. We do a lot of boating but then I can also help a school or help a community center or help others with the design of a reading program on a volunteer basis or look into options for elementary education in a community that is doing it poorly. Then, of all the crazy things, I've learned some business. We started a small business (well small was our plan) and hubby said I was co-owner and co-Chairperson and it had to be real, not just on paper so he taught me to read financial statements and I've been involved in business decisions. I've worked on training programs with HR. I've had the freedom to go to hurricane areas after the storms. I've had the freedom to help an individual who I run across who needs it. I've had the freedom to work serving at the soup kitchen and get to know some of the homeless. I've learned about arts and crafts in many different places. I've learned history by doing so when visiting places. I've had time to mentor. Oh, and I learned to captain a boat and got license after license after license. And, not much mechanical but basics like checking fluids and belts and filters and changing fuel filters. :ermm:

Every day there's far more I want to do than I can possibly do. Yes, you can retire and stagnate, but most retirees are as active as their physical health allows. We go into the office when we want. We go to the music room in our home and sing when we want. We boat when we want and the seas allow. There are bazillions of things I want to do still. :D

I enjoy life, every day of it. It's awfully cold right now, only 68 degrees at 2:00 pm. Still, we're braving it and going kayaking around the canals in a few with the young crazy girls of our extended family. Tomorrow, we've had a request to go to South Beach for lunch so going there by boat. We leave Friday for our NC trip and orphanage time and get extra time this year due to the calendar, then by Myrtle Beach on the 25th and 26th and home for Florida Christmas which is the 29th this year. Last week we went into the office for three days. One day last week it was two hours on the phone with educators in SC talking about a local school system and then the rest of the day working on a plan for a charter school. If they won't fix the ^#%$$# school then I'll build my own. :angry::angry::angry:

I play a little game with myself sometimes called "I'd love to." I make myself dizzy cause there's so much I'd love to do.

Did I stop working when I retired? Well, I do less of it, but then I'm not sure I ever worked. I had the wonderful opportunity to help young kids learn. Yes, administration was a royal pain, but the kids always made up for it. I loved what I did. Hubby loved his job. So that's the final words for today. If you can't retire yet, find work you can love. Oh, you won't love it 100% of the time but at least that brings you satisfaction. And don't work for ^##%$^'s. :)

Quick question, Wayfarer...

If you are planning on financing approx. 1/3 of the purchase of the boat in 3 years... how much would you figure you'd have to finance if you bought it this time next year...?

Half? 2/3rds?

My point...

No time like the present.

:whistling::thumb:

BTW... I'm in the same boat (I kill myself!!!) :rofl: literally... but should be on the boat by May first this year. Unfortunately, for another 4 or 5 years I'll be land-locked on an inland lake while still working, although it's 65 miles long... :)

Quick question, Wayfarer...
BTW... I'm in the same boat (I kill myself!!!) :rofl: literally... but should be on the boat by May first this year. Unfortunately, for another 4 or 5 years I'll be land-locked on an inland lake while still working, although it's 65 miles long... :)

If you are in a land locked lake, no matter how much you try, you cant outrun your mortgage

If you are in a land locked lake, no matter how much you try, you cant outrun your mortgage

Not sure I get what you're saying there... but I will be pining away until I can ship the boat to the Mississippi and get on the Loop... :)

Dave,

Sylphide looks like a lovely vessel, with a beautiful layout and fit-out. Congratulations, and I'll be interested in hearing about her motion at sea, and how she turns.

Best wishes, KL

Dave,

Sylphide looks like a lovely vessel, with a beautiful layout and fit-out. Congratulations, and I'll be interested in hearing about her motion at sea, and how she turns.

Best wishes, KL

Thanks Kit! There will most certainly be updates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom