How ofter do live aboard leave the dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:Old Stone wrote:
Since answering over a year ago, things have changed a bit with our plans to relocate to the Keys in the fall. Because of that, the anal part of me (that would be the larger part of me) will be taking runs every day this summer to (hopefully) shake out anything that could go wrong..........I know, it will anyhow............So the only real modification to be done, since most the the interior renovations are finished, is to Velcro the bottom of everything that moves. I love my dragons and cars and boat models and crap around (below), so won't have to think about them before casting off. I also am moving one slip over to the head slip, where I will have only one side to tie. Much easier to leave and return from, and gives the marina the ablilty to put two boats between fingers in my old space.

From the pics, as you can see, I am the boy who never grew up!
*Carl, is that an XK120 roadster? *Did you own a 120? *I owned a coupe. *If you love working on cars, they are the car for you. *Between Girling and Lucas I was kept quite busy.

Ah! I will always remember with such great fondness
no.gif
adjusting the valves on my 3.8S, outdoors, in the wintertime, in Boston, and dropping a camshaft timing chain bolt down into the innards of the beast. Not to mention those bloody tappet spacers.

*Ah yes the tappet spacers.* Folks haven't lived unless they have done a valve adjustment with the box of spacers.* And then there was the trick of turning them over to get past the groves worn in them by the spring retainer when you didn't have the correct spacer needed.

How you get that little bolt out?

For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy.

JD wrote:For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy.

Balanced your Stromberg's lately?*

BaltimoreLurker wrote:JD wrote:For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy.

Balanced your Stromberg's lately?*

SU's and Zenith Strombergs.* With the correct tool it was fairly simple.* The good old Uni syn.* I liked the SU's better than the Strombergs.* They were simpler than the Strombergs.* Actually used the Uni syn on Porsche quite a bit.* The old 356's had two two barrel Solex's, one on each bank and the 66*911 had two three barrel really simple Solex's one on each side.* Then it all went to hell and we got Weber's on both the 912 and the 911 and*911S hand Bosch mechanical injection.* That all changed by 72 when all Porsche's were injected with electronic fuel injection called the K type.* The Porsche engines had a way*better valve adjusting system than the JAG and even the*cam timing was a lot easier.*

Those were the days for sure.

Old Stone wrote:
Don - I forgot to ask - Is the 120 coupe in the picture the one you owned?Just beautiful!!!!!!!!

-- Edited by Old Stone on Monday 5th of March 2012 03:22:31 PM
*Yeah, it was a black coupe that was fitted out with polished wheels. *It was before we set it up for racing with no bumpers and "chicken wire" grill and stone guards over the head lights. *It was more car than I needed to drive at that point. *That was also before I stripped the splines on the front wheels braking so hard because I entered a curve too fast. *That was at Ocala I think. *When she was dressed up, she was a gorgeous car. *Loved the wire wheels, but they weren't great to race with. *Never should have started novice class with a car that powerful. *I started out running with the big guys after just a few classes. *Crazy.

JD wrote:

As I recall, I think it involved having the car towed to my local private practice Jaguar mechanic (an automotive surgeon who would not operate on your engine unless the engine and engine compartment were spotless and the valve covers polished to a reflective shine. Hard to do with the typical, cleverly engineered, exterior self-oiling British car) and a rather convoluted process ending up with a dropped pan. A "simple" tuning procedure that turned expensive and time consuming due to the bumble fingered ineptitude of, well, me. Did I mention that British cars of that era were also cleverly engineered to shed sacrificial parts along the wayside?

dwhatty wrote:JD wrote:

As I recall, I think it involved having the car towed to my local private practice Jaguar mechanic (an automotive surgeon who would not operate on your engine unless the engine and engine compartment were spotless and the valve covers polished to a reflective shine. Hard to do with the typical, cleverly engineered, exterior self-oiling British car) and a rather convoluted process ending up with a dropped pan. A "simple" tuning procedure that turned expensive and time consuming due to the bumble fingered ineptitude of, well, me. Did I mention that British cars of that era were also cleverly engineered to shed sacrificial parts along the wayside?

*Yes, we too had one of those. *Waverly Denim at Classic Motor Car Service in Orlando. *Absolutely a pure snob. *However, he had all the little special tools to get the job done.

I miss my correspondence with the Jaguar factory in Coventry. *The letters would always come addressesd to Mr. Donald Moon, Esq. *Being a college student, this was heady stuff.

This is a photo of my Mark V drop head that Waverly called "the beast". *Also a little nostalgic racing day. If you look closely, you can see the '59 Tennessee license plate.

Attachments

• don's day job.jpg
    don's day job.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 96
  • don's mkv jag.jpg
    don's mkv jag.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 99
Boy, you guys sure are bringing back some memories from the late 60s and early 70 for me. Best friend in college (66-70) had a 56 Jag. Sedan. what a great way to go from Seattle wa. to Pullman wa!
Later in life when my girlfriend, now my wife, needed a car, I bought her a 70s xj-6. Never buy your girlfriend a Jag!!! She won't be looking at chevys when she needs a newer car! Next one was a 91. I loved them both, but living aboard ya don't have a place to work on them so when it was time for the next car, she's driving a Suburu.

My junior year I bought a 63 mgb. Uni-sin!! and topping off the oil in those SU carbs! LOL After grad I lived in a house in the U-district in Seattle for a year. One of the guys had a Morgan. I rebuilt the tranny for the mg on my bedroom floor using "The complete MGB" shop manual.
"Lucas, the prince of Darkness" !!

Lotta fun times,
thanx for the memories

Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:JD wrote:

*Yes, we too had one of those. *Waverly Denim at Classic Motor Car Service in Orlando. *Absolutely a pure snob. *However, he had all the little special tools to get the job done.

I miss my correspondence with the Jaguar factory in Coventry. *The letters would always come addressesd to Mr. Donald Moon, Esq. *Being a college student, this was heady stuff.

This is a photo of my Mark V drop head that Waverly called "the beast". *Also a little nostalgic racing day. If you look closely, you can see the '59 Tennessee license plate.

A good looking male friend of mine who had a "Big Healey" back in his, long ago, high hormone days was referred to, in later reminiscence by a former female admirer, as "That Hunk With the Healey". I was/am a bit envious of both him and the Healey. (He has now lowered himself to owning a late model Porsche 911).

From your picture I don't think I would describe you, Don, as "That Hunk with the Jag"*
smile.gif
but I am envious of your Jaguar(s).

dwhatty wrote:M
From your picture I don't think I would describe you, Don, as "That Hunk with the Jag"*
smile.gif

*Au contraire mon ami. *I owned those cars 50 years ago. *Surly it wasn't the cars that were getting the girls. *I just know it was me.
biggrin.gif
* Suave, yes sir, absolutely sauve.
eyepopping.gif

Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:M
smile.gif

*Au contraire mon ami. *I owned those cars 50 years ago. *Surly it wasn't the cars that were getting the girls. *I just know it was me.
biggrin.gif
eyepopping.gif

*"Au contraire?" you say? French, eh? You must have been one of those sauve Zouaves. The girls must have loved you in those pants. Nice color too.
biggrin.gif

download.spark

dwhatty wrote:Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:M
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
eyepopping.gif

*"Au contraire?" you say? French, eh? You must have been one of those sauve Zouaves. The girls must have loved you in those pants. Nice color too.
biggrin.gif

download.spark

*Yes, yes. *My Breton red knickers. *I would wear them at Newport during the "season". *Drove the girls wild.

Old Stone wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

dwhatty wrote:M
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
eyepopping.gif

Dear Mr. Donald Moon, ESQ.

We are not generally in the habit of correcting folks posts, but we have to point out a possible typing mistake of yours.

Your comment "Surely it wasn't the cars getting the girls. I just know it was me." seems to be accidently reversed. "Cars"should be "me" and vice versa.

Always at your service,

Jaguar of Coventry

*I say, is that you Sir William Lyons? *I certainly meant no offense. *Your cars are so svelte and sexy that they must have had the desired affect on the ladies. *Zooming off with to the soft purr of the Jag was a pleasure indeed. *In the evenings riding through the brick paved streets under the palm trees of Winter Park was quite special indeed.
nirvana.gif

capt jerry wrote:
the jag was a good hobby car?
*If you are into masochism and an empty wallet, yes.

I owned this E type Series II for 40 years while living in CA and drove it frequently. In my opinion, this was the best of all the E types ever built. It was the last with the covered headlamps, toggle switches on the dash, tail lights over the rear bumper, and no smog controls. It was a head turner...

Attachments

• p1010015.jpg
    p1010015.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 108
  • p1010016.jpg
    p1010016.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 100
Great Laker wrote:
I owned this E type Series II for 40 years while living in CA and drove it frequently. In my opinion, this was the best of all the E types ever built. It was the last with the covered headlamps, toggle switches on the dash, tail lights over the rear bumper, and no smog controls. It was a head turner...
Compared to the E Type, the newer cars have the styling of a Mack truck.*

"Compared to the E Type, the newer cars have the styling of a Mack truck. "

There was something very seductive about these cars. My E Type had a 4.2 liter racing engine, tripple SU carbs, 4 speed stick with fully independent suspension and a deep throaty dual exhaust. The dash included a keyed ignition, but a push button start. You pushed the button and timed the release just as the engine came to life. What a thrill. No electic seats or windows and who cared. It was always satisfying just to know you could go out and take it for a spin. You sat low, cornered hard, and people looked with envy.*

One time on the way up to Marina Del Rey on the 405, a to die for blond pulled up beside me and motioned for me to follow her and get off on the next off ramp. That is a story for another time.*

Great Laker wrote:

One time on the way up to Marina Del Rey on the 405, a to die for blond pulled up beside me and motioned for me to follow her and get off on the next off ramp. That is a story for another time.*
*Does anyone know where I can buy one of those E Types now? *I need it quickly. *Not much time left.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

"I need it quickly. Not much time left."

Just purchase a photo , it will still be OK in the rain, unlike most cars with a Prince of Darkness electrical system.

Old Stone wrote:
Not sure it would help Don! :no:
*dwhatty said it would, so there Mr. Smarty Pants.
nana.gif

Old Stone wrote:
If we're breaching the subject of problems in the rain, or a cloudy day, let's not forget to include FIAT! Lucas did not have the totally exclusive hold on worthless systems. Had a brand new 124 Sport Coupe on a coast to coast trip. Even a hint of clouds and a spray of wire dry was needed. Sorry to even mention FIAT when we are talking Jags, but bad is bad.
*Carl,

Back on page one or two here is a qoute from me "For the record Girling brakes were no where near the PIA that Joesph Lucas electrical systems were.* His only rival was Marelli out of Italy."

That was the electrical system in your Fiat, as well as the rest of the Italian cars until they got over being mad at the Germans and went to Bosch which fixed almost all of the problems Jag had*as well as some of the Italian cars.

A little known fact is that the Type I electronic*fuel injection system in VW and later in the 914 Porsche was originally developed by Bendix in this country and they could not get it to work.* Bosch bought the rights to the system and had it up and running a couple*years later.

Old Stone wrote:
JD - I had a set of those Girling brakes on my trawler for a while - They were worthless, as you say! Got rid of them! :no:
Girling had high temp brake fluid before any of the US folks did.* The only problem I ever ran into that was a*PIA was their double cup calipers* on the rear of the E Jag.* The problem was that the pads were so hard that there was little wear*so little movement and up north in the snow with salt on the roads the calipers would freeze up.* The whole rear assembly had to come out to replace them.* On one car the customer did want to pay for the time required to remove the rear assembly so he cut holes in the body sheet metal removed the two calipers, brought them to me to rebuild*and then covered the holes with new sheet metal and sealed it with body mastic.** Worked fine but I couldn't do that to a customers Jag.*

JD wrote:Old Stone wrote:
JD - I had a set of those Girling brakes on my trawler for a while - They were worthless, as you say! Got rid of them! :no:
Girling had high temp brake fluid before any of the US folks did.* The only problem I ever ran into that was a*PIA was their double cup calipers* on the rear of the E Jag.* The problem was that the pads were so hard that there was little wear*so little movement and up north in the snow with salt on the roads the calipers would freeze up.* The whole rear assembly had to come out to replace them.* On one car the customer did want to pay for the time required to remove the rear assembly so he cut holes in the body sheet metal removed the two calipers, brought them to me to rebuild*and then covered the holes with new sheet metal and sealed it with body mastic.** Worked fine but I couldn't do that to a customers Jag.*

*My Jags had big drum brakes. *They excelled at locking up. *I found if you went into a curve too deeply with a little under steer, that the wire wheels could still spin with the brakes locked. *Bummer. *

Great Laker wrote:

*No love for the new XKR's?

Attachments

• jaguar-xkr-4.jpg
    jaguar-xkr-4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 111
BaltimoreLurker wrote:Great Laker wrote:

*No love for the new XKR's?

*I think that I wrote that remark. *The XKR had a good design going until they put that vertical chrome strip on the side of the front fender. *It looks like (are you ready for this?) the heat extractor on the side of a Mack Truck. *Then they added those awful bling wheels. *Here is a little something that seems to have followed the purity of design spirit except they are all into pimp wheels. *The 6 series BMW coupe that Marin drives is a good example of a classic, enduring design.

The XKR had a beautiful, curvacious design going. *Why they thought they would put an absolutely vertical piece of trim in the middle is a conundrum. *It in effect cuts the car into two sections. *I just don't get it.

rga_astonmartin_cars_beauty_db9coupe_01-medium.jpg

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 09:04:34 AM

Agree 100% on the stupid chrome strip!* Blackening the wheels would be a big improvement.* And Jags should be in British Racing Green.

Here in San Diego and when I was in Alameda, Ca. We loved taking our new toy out as much as possible.. In SF bay we were close to the open water from our marina, but WE made a mistake coming to the back bay of San Diego.. Lots of boat cops, lots of Military cops, coast guard and Navy traffic, so it's a hassle...Looking forward to a place where gunkholing will be a possibility, maybe Mexico somewhere..Oh and how many boats CANT leave the docks? We've our share here. Floating condos/hulks...

"No love for the new XKR's?"

The manufacturer of an enduring classic should be immediately recognizable. This car could be from almost anyone... What a shame! *

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom