New Mainship 400 Owner Silly Questions -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,.

We just bought a 2006 Mainship 400 and brought her home to Savannah from Punta Gorda Florida. It took us 11 days to travel across the Okeechobee waterway and then up the East coat of Florida but all went well. We stayed and a few marinas, used mooring balls and anchored mostly.

Had 2 days of offshore trips (St Augustine to St. Simons Island and then St. Simons to Savannah.) Ran about 8.5 knots at 2000 RPM..

Now that I have her safe in a local marina slip I have a few questions.

1. What seacocks do you guys close when not at the boat ..if any.

2. Do you leave your AC on and in Humidity mode and if so, do you keep both AC packs in that mode or just one?

3. Do you leave a light on on the inside?

4. If the two engine gauges do not necessarily agree, upper and lower helm locations...for engine temp mainly...which one would you consider correct?...meaning I noticed the engine temp went up to about 175 today shortly after going offshore at the brifge display, not sure why, I watched it pretty close there for a while but when i went below for a snack i noticed the lower helm gauge was were it has been normally,.. at about 160F...(Single Yanmar 6LY2AN-STPC)

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I used a dehumifier instead of the boat ACs when way for an extended period. In part because constant running increases growth in the raw water plumbing.

never closed seacocks.

lights off.

Thoroughly check the ER each time you return and leave the boat.

Last edited:
Answer to last question: Check your real engine temp with a calibrated IR gun. By calibrated I mean: heat up a pot of water (blackish pot preferably) to boiling. Then shoot the side with the IR gun. In those conditions the side of the pot should be near 212, probably a few degrees lower. If not then mentally use the difference to calibrate the reading below.

Then shoot your thermostat housing at the front of the engine while underway and the temp has stabilized. Then compare that temp to the two gauges. I wouldn't bother trying to fix them, you just need to know what the calibration factor is.

FWIW the two Yanmar 6LYs I had on previous boats ran about 180 at moderate load, rising to 185-190 at full wot power.

David

160 is pretty low, but the reading doesn't have to be perfect. You just need to know if the engine is actually running at the correct temp. I would use an IR heat gun on critical parts of the engine while underway to determine what temps you have. Thermostat housing area should be about exactly what the thermostat is rated for. Oil filter will give you oil temp. I also check alternator, transmission and stuffing box. Get the temp gun very close so its not affected by other items. After a few times, you'll get to know what's normal. For your temp gauge, you can check connections. But at least the IR gun will tell you if you're really in the right range.

Ken

1. What seacocks do you guys close when not at the boat ..if any.

]If I am away from the boat for short periods, I do not close the seacocks. If I am away for an extended period of time, I close all but the AC seacock.

2. Do you leave your AC on and in Humidity mode and if so, do you keep both AC packs in that mode or just one?

Here in Florida, we leave our AC on, set to 78, all summer. I turn on both units.

3. Do you leave a light on on the inside?

I don't leave a light on.

4. If the two engine gauges do not necessarily agree, upper and lower helm locations...for engine temp mainly...which one would you consider correct?...meaning I noticed the engine temp went up to about 175 today shortly after going offshore at the brifge display, not sure why, I watched it pretty close there for a while but when i went below for a snack i noticed the lower helm gauge was were it has been normally,.. at about 160F...(Single Yanmar 6LY2AN-STPC)

175 is about right. 160 is low. It's probably the gauge.

Back
Top Bottom