Winter solar charging of batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mheitner

Solar panels for onboard battery winter storage I have four size 74 liquid cell batteries that are connected in series on my Mainship 30 and would like to attach a solar panel and controller to preserve the batteries with a trickle through the long winter storage season. Obviously a novice, I would like to know if I use a single solar panel (what size?) and a single controller (what size). Do I then just clip one cable to the positive post of battery #1 and the second cable to the negative post on battery #4?

Go to the Library/Systems link found in the upper right corner of this page and read the article Solar Panels for Your Boat.

A 100 watt panel will work for you even in the winter, connected to a 10 amp or larger controller. The new Victron MPPT controller is a good choice. See https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Blue...s=gateway&sprefix=victron+mppt,aps,309&sr=8-4

Connect the controller's output to the + and - terminals of your battery, but put a 10A fuse in the + wire near the battery to protect it.

David

Last edited:
You could upgrade to AGM batteries and simply turn the battery switch off for the winter. I turn my battery switch off and 6 months later, I turn it on and then turn on the lights and the stereo.

AGM loses a ridiculously small amount of amperage per month. No need to trickle charge them.

Solar panels for onboard battery winter storage I have four size 74 liquid cell batteries that are connected in series on my Mainship 30 and would like to attach a solar panel and controller to preserve the batteries with a trickle through the long winter storage season. Obviously a novice, I would like to know if I use a single solar panel (what size?) and a single controller (what size). Do I then just clip one cable to the positive post of battery #1 and the second cable to the negative post on battery #4?

In VT...

#1 Charge to 100% SOC in the late fall / EQ if possible
#2 Physically disconnect all batteries from the vessel
#3 Disconnect each battery from any other batteries
#4 Come back in the spring and reverse the process

We've seen far too many banks ruined by unattended charging including batteries left with solar charging. In cold weather the self discharge rate is almost nil.

Winter Battery Storage & Self Discharge Characteristics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom