Paint scraper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KDA

Veteran Member
I always threatened to take a picture of it but....
I have been using a paint scraper to remove the varnish along with a heat gun. It worked great until today when it went overboard
I can't find another, maybe someone can help me.
It is about 12" long, has a round shaft with a round wooden handle. The scraping end is attached to the shaft at a 90 degree angle making it a push/ pull motion. The scraping end has a number of different profiles making it perfect for moulding and trim.
I don't know who makes it or what it's called.
Any ideas?

Not sure if it is. The same kind or not but Jamestown Distributors has several scrapers that use the triangle blades.

Sounds like the old Red Devil scraper,still around but composite handle with interchangeable blades.

Sandvic and Bahco carbide scrapers are the best with replaceable blades.

They come in various sizes and shapes.

Attachments

• 00002088.jpg
    00002088.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 806
Sandvic and Bahco carbide scrapers are the best with replaceable blades.

They come in various sizes and shapes.

I fully fully agreeeeeeeee
Tungsten Carbide scrapers is all I’ll buy.
I always get the blades that have a slight curve to the cutting edge. Very resistant to accidentally gouging w the corners.

Problem with traditional scrapers are the hardness of the blades. Carbide scrapers are harder and stays sharper longer. Also scrapes hard coatings.

Traditional scrapers require resharpening when the blade gets dull.

Traditional scrapers can be reshaped easily for custom profiles. They can be heat treated to make them harder too.

....I have been using a paint scraper to remove the varnish along with a heat gun. It worked great until today when it went overboard
A hole drilled in the end of the handle with a line attached might save the replacement from taking a swim.I like the 3 profile type scraper.

A hole drilled in the end of the handle with a line attached might save the replacement from taking a swim.I like the 3 profile type scraper.

I have a huge magnet on a line for retrieving non floating items. So far I have not lost anything that is magnetic. Don’t ask about S/S or aluminum items though...

I can’t find a brand name on it but I’m pretty sure I picked it up at Lowe’s because that the only hardware store we have here. It’s nice and has a lot of profiles . Each knife has a different profile on each end.

Attachments

• F7025810-865D-4E35-8B11-53FCCAA20E9F.jpg
    F7025810-865D-4E35-8B11-53FCCAA20E9F.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 65
I can’t find a brand name on it but I’m pretty sure I picked it up at Lowe’s because that the only hardware store we have here. It’s nice and has a lot of profiles . Each knife has a different profile on each end.
I just looked it up. The brand is Hyde.

Thats the one I always reach for. The only blade I still possess is the basic flat one, and if it’s old thick varnish, I like to put a sharp burr on it with a file and just let it cut. As I get down to the wood I’ll dress it a bit nicer, at which point the smoothness of the carbides are quite a bit better, but I still often grab for the old reliable just the same. I just like the ergonomics and the blade angle.

Comodave made a good suggestion regarding a manet on a longline. I was able to recover my scraper and this time I took a few pictures. I would like to buy a spare so I still need to find out who makes it.
I have a picture now but I can't figure out how to copy it to my post
Thank you everyone who took the time to reply to my request for help

Coincidentally, today I was doing some painting on the boat. My wife was carrying the paint roller frame off the boat, dropped it and it floated to the bottom. I got the magnet out and it picked up the roller frame on the first try.

Paint scrapper

Check the wooden boat store online. They sell exactly what you are looking for.

I have a set like PacMule's. A great tool, good steel, and easy to sharpen. I have a couple of the Osborn's but they make a godawful noise when using them.

Paint Scraper

Harbor Freight Tools - buy extra blades, also.

I always threatened to take a picture of it but....
I have been using a paint scraper to remove the varnish along with a heat gun. It worked great until today when it went overboard
I can't find another, maybe someone can help me.

I think it is available on Amazon. IMG_1087.jpg

Back
Top Bottom