Surveyor recommendations - LaConner, Washington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantsitstill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Tee
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen Manatee
My wife and I are looking at a boat being sold by a private party in Laconner. I know typically an offer is made then the survey is done and price adjustments happen after the survey. We want to survey before we make the offer.

Anybody have a recommendation for both a hull surveyor and a good engine surveyor? Not necessarily the same person but the would be easier. I was thinking of using Berg Marine Surveys.

Recommendations are appreciated.

For hull survey Matt Harris - Marine Consultants Inc in Bellingham WA.

He is the best. Passage Maker magazine featured an article about him. He has extensive experience in boatbuilding.

He is especially effective surveying TaIwan boats because of his experiencing overseeing boat construction in Taiwan.

I would not want him as a surveyor of a boat I was selling. He is very thorough.

My wife and I are looking at a boat being sold by a private party in Laconner. I know typically an offer is made then the survey is done and price adjustments happen after the survey. We want to survey before we make the offer.

Anybody have a recommendation for both a hull surveyor and a good engine surveyor? Not necessarily the same person but the would be easier. I was thinking of using Berg Marine Surveys.

Recommendations are appreciated.

why survey before the offer?
you dont know what they will sell it for and you will be down a couple grand ..
What is gained doing it backwards?
HOLLYWOOD

I second Matt Harris but is is very hard to get , a friend just tried and he was weeks out

Cale Mathers of Mathers Marine- great surveyor!

Berg is good and I used Craig Smith from Compass Marine for the engines. Only problem is waiting maybe a month. Especially if your not using a broker.

Engine surveyor depends on engine.

Best to higher a mechanic that works exclusively with that manufacturer for an engine survey.

Cale Mathers of Mathers Marine- great surveyor!

Hey Peter this is Ron from EYC. Would you mind if I pick your brain some over the phone? I still have your info in the bluebook.

I appreciate your thoughts. I am still deciding if I survey then offer or offer then survey. I know the asking price. I just thought it might be a bit less contentious if I wait to offer till I survey.

I do realize it is not standard but aren't I out the survey cost either way. If I get an accepted offer then drop the price due to the survey he can still turn me down and I am out the $. Seems like 1/2 dozen 1 way and 6 the other. Maybe I am not understanding though.

I am certainly open to suggestions though.

I think that I would make the offer first. Negotiate the best price you can. Then see what the survey says. If it has a lot of issues, renegotiate. If you go to survey first, if I were the seller I would probably think that you are a really motivated buyer and wouldn’t bargain as much. There is a reason probably 99% of the boat selling proceeds along the normal routine.

I appreciate your thoughts. I am still deciding if I survey then offer or offer then survey. I know the asking price. I just thought it might be a bit less contentious if I wait to offer till I survey.

I do realize it is not standard but aren't I out the survey cost either way. If I get an accepted offer then drop the price due to the survey he can still turn me down and I am out the $. Seems like 1/2 dozen 1 way and 6 the other. Maybe I am not understanding though.

I am certainly open to suggestions though.
I've often thought of this process, as well. Get an agreed price sans survey w/ survey results in further reduction. Seller can disagree w/ this as it's not the "traditional" way, but leaving survey results out of initial offering price seems to me to reflect true value of the boat.

That makes sense. Thx everyone for the advice.

That makes sense. I will take that advice.

Back
Top Bottom