Ford lehman 2714e trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CIER2

Vessel Name
PLECIER
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
My ford lehman 120 hp stopped when docking. Engine totally solid stuck !
Oil, cooling, everything were ok. All the valves are intact.
Any idea what can be the cause ?

Can the engine when stripped pass through the sliding door ?
Anything can be helpfull, perhaps somebody knows a good engine etc..

Thanks !

Talk to Brian at American Diesel, he is the expert on these engines. 804-436-3107.

Dont overlook the transmission where the drive plate. these things could be preventing you from turning the engine over

What do you mean by stuck? Starter spins but won't start? Starter won't spin at all? DId you bar engine over manually?

Starter blocked, no mm spin.
Try to turn the crankshaft with a big truc and to men. No go, nothing.

Check under bellhousing for rust, small spring parts, metal shavings from a bad dampner plate

Did it stop with a clank or labor down and stop? A sudden clank is almost certainly damper plate or transmission. Laboring down probably prop fouled or some shaft bearing. If the oil looks clean and you didn't overheat I really doubt it is the engine.

Yes the engine will go out the side door. Having just removed mine from my Albin I can attest to this. You do not have to strip it down, I didn't even remove the motor mounts. The width is not the issue, it's the height. You need to lift the engine with almost "0" height adjustment for chain or a come-along. Plan ahead and think it through, it actually comes out pretty easy. A competent mechanic and competent help on the fork lift and it can be out in less that 12 hours. (10 for mine).

Again, Does not sound like the engine. Mine had other problems, Still ran. Mine is at the best, most respected diesel shop in Wisconsin. (read expensive) I will post a cost breakdown when it is back in the boat next week but I expect "all in, all done" to be just under $20,000.

pete

How wide is the door? How wide is the engine?
I had a truck mounted HIAB lift both of mine out and in. With Heat exchangers off, the outgoing had lots of clearance, incoming, with Aftercoolers, had enough for two pieces of cardboard to protect the varnish. I could have removed the ACs, but made it without doing so. All 4 lifts took a couple of hours with an experienced operator.
My door is 27" wide.
Height is critical too. My gate aligns with the door, so helped.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom