opinions about this survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
Can't expect 23 year old boats to survey as new. This one surveyed as "average". The generator and both gear boxes failed oil test with high levels of lead. Looks like this boat was neglected on standard maintenance items like air filters, hoses, clamps
Should I consider this normal/average to be what I find is this age of trawler in the 120k price range?

The Brockerts

Attachments

• Condensed Report_ WEGO.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 299
  • WE GO Eng survey.pdf
    327 KB · Views: 77
  • WE GO gen oil sample.pdf
    118.4 KB · Views: 51
  • WE GO Port eng oil sample.pdf
    122 KB · Views: 53
  • WE GO Port gear oil sample.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 44
  • WE GO Star eng oil sample.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 37
  • WE GO star gear oil sample.pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 40
Greetings,
Mr. TB. Only read the survey, not the oil analysis. Hmmm...Seems like quite a bit of deferred maintenance IMO. Just a WAG...Put another $5K to $10K in parts alone to bring her up to snuff IF you do the work yourself. Yard costs??? $20K+ perhaps?

Have the leaks been fixed or simply propped up?

I can do a lot of it myself, but gear boxes deferred maintenance could be costly down the line. the gear box on my sailboat isn't to bad to replace , these might be another story?

some of the leaks have been fixes not sure which one, I'll get back on the boat in a couple of weeks

I read the reports and if this boat is average, I'd hate to see one that was below average.

With all the deferred maintenance revealed, the oil analysis, and other deficiencies I would describe the boat as below average or less.

There are many, many boats out there that has had better care than this boat.

The owner of this boat has done nothing other than drive it. Has no pride in ownership, maintenance or cleanliness.

To me it's worth around 70K with all the issues.

If it cost $20K to have yard do the work, I'd want at least another 10K taken off the price for my time seeking repairs, downtime while in yard, my troubles and any hidden issues. Still not worth it at 90k

Last edited:
Ok it's not gloom & doom:socool:

The owner is slob, lets just say it!

But if you're the kind of owner that gets regular manicures this boat's not for you.

Most of this is doable by a handy person, my quick guess is $2500-3500 for parts & materiel's. 75-100 hours

The oil tests may not be 100% valid with old (maybe very old fluids)

You have enough ammunition in the survey to get a price reduction, Min $10K.

But that depends how much you're in love with this boat.

I would buy it but I do all my own work

good luck

Everything looks fixable if you are a do it yourselfer.
In MY experience most marine trannys are neglected, so probably not that big of a deal.
You need to decide what those issues are worth and act or walk away accordingly.
Good luck in your decision.
And happy cruising!

I would give it a rating of "poor".
Several places where the floor is rotted
Water intrusion several places in the saloon
Engines likely aren't original and were used when installed
Apparently leaking water heater
1 air conditioner not cooling well, others near end of life
Ton of deferred maintenance
Bunch of Jack leg installation and repair work

This is a project boat that will give you stuff to do instead of going boating. Imo, average should imply useable with some minor repairs. I see $10K to $20k in materials to square it away, or a list of broken things to fix after each and every outing.

Can't speak to the value of the boat as I'm not familiar with that make and style.

Ted

Handy or not, it still takes time to plan the repairs, locate parts and materials and fix all the issues.

Time that could be spent cruising.

Your time is worth something.

Technicians charge around $85 to $150 depending on type of repair and location.

Unless you are in absolute love with this boat or have been looking for one just like it, I'd pass unless the price drops to around 70K - 80K.

I'm told the engines were replaced in 2003 by previous owner and were new. They are 1997 models and that volvo had stamped out a bunch before some emissions changes. Without any hour meters working how can I trust the approx hours of 900. Do these engines have some type of computer chip like cars to gather that info?

Greetings,
Mr. TB. Oh, Volvos? I'd missed that. Personally I wouldn't have Volvos if given to me free.

If you are OCD and want to bring boat back to Bristol condition then you have a project on your hands. Bring time and money. For example: Excessive belt dust. (Indicative of generally poor maintenance) Belts need replacing obviously but alternator could be misaligned so now you need to fabricate spacers to align alternator with crank pulley. And on it goes.

Might be an issue with second hand engines with no maintenance history and visible signs of poor maintenance. Could be very high hours. They apparently run well but so do the transmissions and the oil sample indicates new clutch plates are in the not to distant future.

Tough call. Every boat has a price.

I have not priced the market. This boat is a little below average for age. It is a bit of a project. As mentioned earlier, old fluids will show higher lead. My biggest concern is the hour meter. Is there a travel or maintenance log to back up the engine hour claims?

I find this boat Worth $25,000 less than market average. I am also concerned about claims of new engines with out any supporting documents. I think I would require more proof of these so called improvement claims.

I agree with RT on the Volvos, high prices and long lead times for soare parts.

I just went through this same experience purchasing our Tollycraft, but our boat is 40 years old. I didn't actually see show stoppers in your survey but lots of signs of severe lack of maintenance. It seems likely that the gears haven't had an oil change for some time. The engines appear neglected (oil leaks are a big deal since you can get fined if your bilge pump starts pumping oil overboard).

It is easy to underestimate the cost to address issues. As you start addressing issues you're very likely to find additional issues. I'd assume you'll have to pay for expert servicing and total up how much that will cost, then adjust the price by at least that much. Bottomline is that the boat needs a bunch of stuff done before it leaves the dock.

IF there's one place I think your surveyor is wrong was the estimated value of $135K. Looking at Yachtworld that is at the high end. Given all the issues that need to be fixed I think you might want to be thinking of a pretty substantial reduction. Even as is you'll not be cruising this summer..to much to fix first.

Uncertainty about the age/hours/history of the Volvo engines (with their parts cost/availability reputation)combined with lack of mechanical maintenance, plus general maintenance all over not being kept up, would make me consider rejection. Unless you get a big reduction. Rating it "average" in condition seems a stretch.

I see no evidence to support the "2007 engine installation" claim. Without some support, that claim should be ignored, as those are 1997 engines, so most likely are originals to that boat.
Engine surveys are consistent with the age being from 1997, not 2007. Hour meters should also be ignored.

I had previously looked at this boat online, but did not consider it for purchase simply based on the description because: 1) no lower helm station; 2) Volvo engines; 3) virtually no electronics. Although we have allowed a substantial electronics budget for installation/upgrades in our next purchase, the fact that the boat did not have even outdated electronics was a red flag that the owner was not really a boating person. I worry about taking on something that has just been used for day cruises or as a floating condo. A boat that has not been loved could present a lot of future work. Another item that was personal for me was the 3rd cabin. I knew that even though I have 3 generations of offspring it would be unlikely enough of them would show up at the same time to justify not only the initial cost of a larger boat that what we really need, & there would be ongoing monthly expenses related just to those few extra feet in length. However, for a different family the extra guest cabin might be a necessity instead of a luxury. All that said, the main concerns with this (beautiful & I know you have your heart set on) boat, in addition to all the time, effort & money to bring her to really cruiseable condition are safety (no protected helm in gawdawful weather) & the inherent problems with Volvo engines. Do keep in mind that walking away from a boat with a bad survey doesn't mean you've lost money, but that you have really $aved a lot. But if you choose to buy & cherish this boat, I understand & wish you the strength to negotiate like a bulldog & the very best in your journey of love. Do keep us posted, no matter your decision, & especially as you refurbish if that is your choice--

Last edited:
Lead and copper are part of gear clutch facing material. Normal for those to be elevated if gear oil has not been changed. Numbers higher than most, though.

Not my idea of a good time. I'd like to use my boat right away and not be working on it.

Wow! Certainly nothing in the survey would be a show-stopper for me. Like many who have commented, I am no fan of Volvo engines, mainly because of the parts (that are seemingly hand made by Swedish elves working under bridges) but I've had many happy hours with them under me. Everything that the surveyor found is easily fixable, big issues for me: floor softness in master stateroom, evidence of leaks. As far as the transmissions go, change the oil, service properly and check after another season of use.
Bottom line: if you like the boat and like working on stuff - go for it.
Let us know how you make out.

So far no one has mentioned the electrical panel issue. Single pole main circuit breaker. That is a big problem. It absolutely needs to be repaired right away. Depending on the panel, you may be replacing the whole electrical panel which is about $1K to buy a decent panel plus any labor you have to pay for. I would ask the surveyor if he or she tested the boat with the new GFI equipped docks and does the boat trip the dock breakers. If it does it could be a potentially costly fix. More and more docks around here are installing GFI breakers and older boats can’t get power from them due to wiring problems in the boat. Reading this survey, I think that this boat may fall into that category. My boat when I bought it only had 1 main 30 amp breaker for the 2 30 amp inlets. President wired the second shore power directly to the main bus without any over current protection. I have seen another President that is wired exactly the same so I am assuming that President did this deliberately. Also they comingled all the neutrals together. It took 2 of us 2 days to just ring out all the neutrals or about 32 hours of labor just doing that. If I were in the market for a used boat I would want to make absolutely sure that the boat would be able to plug into the newer electrical systems on the docks. Your marina may not have new breakers yet but lots of places you will travel to will have the new breakers.

Thanks everyone for your comments, after reviewing this boat in-depth we have withdrawn our offer.

On to looking for the next one.

The Brockerts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom