rudder indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
On my 2007 40 ft mainship trawler the rudder indicator works if i start the boat from the upper helm.It does not work if i start it from the lower helm. Anyone have this happen and if so what did you find was the problem? Tom

Where is the Rudder Indicator? Upper Helm? Follow the positive lead from the rudder indicator. I suspect it is wired into the ignition switch at the upper.

If so, set the ignition to RUN at the upper station after starting the engine on the lower and see if the rudder indicator starts working.

If you have not done so already. Check the connection on the indicator it could be loose or have corrosion.

rudder sender

Does anyone know how to get a new rudder indicator for a 40 ft mainship 2007 trawler its light blue and attaches to the rudder with a adjustable arm.I tried loading picture but iu can't get it to load.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2101.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 95
I'm sure it doesn't have to be that one.

EBay have plenty of similar ones that I am sure will do the same job but, how do you know its the rudder indicator at fault?

Last edited:
Maybe try a new electrician.

It turns on and indicates from one switch,
I don't think the problem is in the sensor,
it only has two wires.

Ted

rudder sender

I think the electrician broke it by tighten the nut on the post to tight.I think once I get a new sender I will be right where I started.It's so hard to find good mechanics in this business they tend to replace parts until they find the one that works.I'm going thru the same thing with my AC unit.If you have good mechanics where you are appreciate them

I think the electrician broke it by tighten the nut on the post to tight.I think once I get a new sender I will be right where I started.It's so hard to find good mechanics in this business they tend to replace parts until they find the one that works.I'm going thru the same thing with my AC unit.If you have good mechanics where you are appreciate them
Is your problem with gauges showing rudder position or with the sender unit itself ? Or did it start as a single gauge problem and then while trying to help, your electrician broke the sender? Do you have an autopilot ? If so the sender may need matching with that. Someone might comment on how interchangeable rudder position senders are with different pilots.

From what I can see in picture is that you have just 2 wires from the sender going to the gauges in parallel set up. Thus one gauge works (which means sender IS WORKING). I would check the wires going to the gauge not working, and especially the connections at the rear of the not working gauge.

Mine did not work due to 19 years of corrosion, so I replaced the entire set up. I installed a sender with connections for both the fly bridge and inside helm gauges. I posted my installation of new here on the TF.

Rudder sender

I see a reply that said any sender of 12 volt 0 to 180 ohms will work .I can't get anything thru England I just want to make sure 12 volt 0 to 180 ohms will work can anyone confirm this for a 40 ft 2007 Mainship trawler. Thanks Tom

You guys have larger vessels than me (34” CHB). Any thoughts on just using the gravity based Rulan-type indicator mounted to the boss of your wheel? Do they stay calibrated better than my yellow electrical tape marking what I think my center rudder position is....plus or minus a few revolutions?

You guys have larger vessels than me (34” CHB). Any thoughts on just using the gravity based Rulan-type indicator mounted to the boss of your wheel? Do they stay calibrated better than my yellow electrical tape marking what I think my center rudder position is....plus or minus a few revolutions?

If you have hydraulic steering, then there's no consistent correlation between the position of the wheel and the position of rudder. Especially if you have two stations, or an autopilot.

Then again, if you have an autopilot you probably already have a rudder position sensor, and it's just a matter of interfacing it with your primary display.

I never really used a rudder indicator with single screw boats, but with twins, where I'm often doing more complicated maneuvers with more variables in play, it really helps.

If your bozo mechanic broke it is his problem. Let us know what he does for you?

On my sender 10-180 is for a single display and 10-90 is for a dual display

I hate to run a single screw boat without a rudder angle indicator. Twin screw, not so much but its basic info that the helmsman needs.

I hate to run a single screw boat without a rudder angle indicator. Twin screw, not so much but its basic info that the helmsman needs.

Interesting. My experience is the opposite. I seem to always just know where the rudder is with a single. The rudder and throttle are all I've got. Plus I can tell right away if I'm wrong.

OTOH, with twins I primarily use the clutches and throttles. The rudder is more of an added bonus, and it tends to drift out of focus for me. Until I notice an unexpected side force acting on me. Then I have to process; is it wind? current? No, darn, I left the helm hard over!

I've finally got so it's second nature to check the rudder indicator when maneuvering. Maybe I'll find myself doing that when running a single screw next time. I just haven't done that as much lately.

Yep

Seems odd that it works from one helm station but not the other.

Perhaps the electrician is the problem? ;)

Correct. If it works on one helm and not the other, the sensor is not the problem. Likely a ground or corrosion problem. PS: The lower helm is primary and the signal has to get through that before reaching the upper helm...

:iagree: Almost every time my boat's direction did not agree with what my brain said, it was the rudder position (not me :whistling:) that caused my confusion. I now check the rudder position on my scan to verify that what I plan to do will happen! :nonono:

I have 2 check points that I can verify the rudder position at a casual glance. The first is the MFD and the second is the AP.

Attachments

• MFD Rudder Indicator.jpg
    MFD Rudder Indicator.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 36
  • AP Rudder Indicator.jpg
    AP Rudder Indicator.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My plan is to DIY a cable and pointer set up along with the AP hopefully being output to the plotter.

Interesting. My experience is the opposite. I seem to always just know where the rudder is with a single. The rudder and throttle are all I've got. Plus I can tell right away if I'm wrong.

OTOH, with twins I primarily use the clutches and throttles. The rudder is more of an added bonus, and it tends to drift out of focus for me. Until I notice an unexpected side force acting on me. Then I have to process; is it wind? current? No, darn, I left the helm hard over!

I've finally got so it's second nature to check the rudder indicator when maneuvering. Maybe I'll find myself doing that when running a single screw next time. I just haven't done that as much lately.

With twins I usually pick a point where I'm going to transition from using the rudders to maneuvering 100% with the engines as I approach a dock. So at that point, I just center the wheel (based on making the boat go straight) and then don't touch it unless I need it for something. And that leaves it centered when I arrive in the slip, so it's good to go the next time I leave.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom