2006 Mainship 400 Bilge Blower Operation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

Does anybody run the bilge blower under-way and/or after engine shutdown to help cool the engine area?

Or do I have the idea wrong....seems like a good idea...

Jeff

I always run the bilge exhaust blowers before I start the motors and while running them. It helps to cool the engine room.

My thinking is if you calculate the air intake for a / your diesel engine it will likely be way higher than that blower and I will bet one could not measure a difference when running.
I do run mine sometimes in hot Wx after stopping to help cool the ER as then the flow is zero w/o the blower and the hot ER adds to the saloon heat load.

I’d run them for a few minutes after shut down if I was planning to go into the engine room. On a gasoline boat always run blowers a few minutes before starting the engine.

Run for an hour with, and an hour without, the 12v blower. See if it makes a difference; it`s way cooler in my ER if run.

Good design or good fortune, the exhaust intake is right above the eutectic refrigeration compressor. Exhaust fan on,the fridges cool a lot faster.

I think the fan draws around 15A. Running mains there are plenty of amps,pulling down fridges at anchor using the genset I run the battery charger.

On a diesel, waste of time and energy while underway. As someone stated, the engine will draw enough air, unless the vents are undersized.

A standard squirrel cage fan, which most boats are equipped with, does'nt draw enough air to cool an engine after shut off. Unless you run it for hours.

An axial engine room fan will draw a lot more air.

ok, thanks for input, I am on a mooring ball tonight, its about 80F outside,

I ran all day up the ICW...the blower exit on this Mainship 400 is on the side of the bridge steps....the air coming out is warm....the genset is on but I dont think that this air would be coming from that area ...It just seems odd that the air would still be warm since shutdown at 1600...

The heat soaked into the engine, tanks and their contents and anything else with mass in the engine room takes a long time to dissapate.

The heat soaked into the engine, tanks and their contents and anything else with mass in the engine room takes a long time to dissapate.
[emoji106]

Speaking of engines and heat...this vessel has a single Yanmar 6LY2AN-STPC engine.
The temp looks to be running at about 170F....running at 2000 RPM..I am thinking this is normal based on the Yanmar spec....

My Yanmar 4LHA-STP engines both run right at about 170 all day at 2000 and 175 at 3000 so I think you are within spec.

While its called a bilge "blower" it is set to pull air from the engine spaces.

A anchor most are too small to cool an engine,
BUT running the blower may be enough to stop the smells of a warm engine from invading the living spaces.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom