Jabsco Oil changing pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
I decided to take on the task of changing my oil in my port, starboard and Genset. This was my first attempt at doing this. My boat is equipped with the jabsco oil changing pump and it has three levers to control which engine oil you can pump out. My initial pump out was to be for the port engine. I wound up not only pumping the port engine but the generator as well, No problem as I wanted to change that oil anyway. I filled both the port engine and generator with the correct amount of oil. Then I moved to the starboard engine pumped out the oil and replaced it with fresh oil. I then went up and started the engine and within a few seconds my oil pressure alarm went off. I came down to check the oil and it showed nothing on the dipstick in my port engine. so obviously I pumped out the port Starboard engine. Anyway I’m trying to figure out what the correct configuration is for the valves on this pump to make sure it is shut off.

Attachments

• FBF38F58-A543-42BA-A479-1AAEF05E127A.jpg
    FBF38F58-A543-42BA-A479-1AAEF05E127A.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 65
Usually when the handle is in line with the valve body and hose, fluid flows. When perpendicular to the hose, valve is closed. My simple rule when changing oil is, "Pump.it out; pour it in. Clearly you have mastered the pumping it out part.

Ted

You did not mention the oil filters. I dont know if your Jabsco will drain them but I doubt it since the jabsco would typically connect low perhaps at the drain pan. So if you dont change the filter you will leave old oil in the system. Also when you do change the filters you need to prefill the new filters with oil.

Usually when the handle is in line with the valve body and hose, fluid flows. When perpendicular to the hose, valve is closed. My simple rule when changing oil is, "Pump.it out; pour it in. Clearly you have mastered the pumping it out part.

Ted
LOL yes I have mastered that part!

You did not mention the oil filters. I dont know if your Jabsco will drain them but I doubt it since the jabsco would typically connect low perhaps at the drain pan. So if you dont change the filter you will leave old oil in the system. Also when you do change the filters you need to prefill the new filters with oil.

How does one prefill horizontal filters?

Perkins 6.354 upside down oil filers

My perkin's oil filters are upside down and I prefill them. The correct ones have ani-draindown valves in them!

Gotta be quick on the flip.

I am not sure on your Jabsco system. We use Revsrso system with a manifold that you select the engine and open that valve then place the toggle switch in the pump out position and it pumps from the selected engine to the waste oil tank. When you hear the pump stop gurgling oil, then set the toggle switch to the pump in position, and it pumps fresh oil from the new oil tank to the engine. After about 45-60 seconds check the oil level on the dipstick for the correct oil level. Do that on each engine, and then you are finished. My main engines take 6 gal of oil each and the generator takes 1 gal. It is a very simple operation. Just turn on the switch and select the valve for the motor you wish to service.
IB00287418_2.jpg

The is no mess and no fuss, it is a very clean operation.

I hope the helps, be happy to provide any additional info if needed.

Even better, how does one pre-fill upside down filters :facepalm::facepalm:

When changing oil on a nice warmed engine there is little load on the internals when restarting that the residual oil film cant handle .

The warm oil pan and oil pump will heat the oil a bit ,so it pumps readily.
Oil already in place will allow sliding of unloaded parts before a proper pumping oil film is developed.

Restart the engine at idle as soon after the change , you will see the oil pressure rise rapidly , no wear / harm done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom