Chart error St. Joseph. Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davb1947

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Molly
Vessel Make
Albin 36
I just noticed that Navionics chart doesn’t show either of the two lighthouses on the north breakwater of the channel leading into St. Joseph Michigan harbor. This could be deadly, especially in this high water year when the breakwater is slightly above water level, and especially to sailors coming to St Joseph from the north. I’ve reported it to Navionics but no response yet. I’ll post screenshots of the offending Navionics chart and the corresponding NOAA chart, which has it correct.

Dave & Chris VanDenburgh
Albin 36 Molly

Attachments

• 8CCBDCF2-507B-4C0E-9786-8E6773D1DF37.jpg
    8CCBDCF2-507B-4C0E-9786-8E6773D1DF37.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 63
  • 88C38A9F-80B1-4F52-B118-2FCB15DB2938.jpg
    88C38A9F-80B1-4F52-B118-2FCB15DB2938.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 68
My navionics charts, which are not necessarily up to date show the outer light. When was the last time you updated?

Navionics online chart viewer shows the outer light but not the inner. Doesn't give one confidence in Navionics charts. Yes, this time it is only the outer light. But what else is missing? And where?

Isn't there are disclaimer when you start your chart plotter that says the charts aren't supposed to be used for navigation or something like that.

Further:
- the north and south breakwaters are marked on the charts and that is the part you say people need to avoid.
- even if the lights are not on the chart, they are still there and will be visible at night.
- even if the breakwater is underwater, the lighthouses themselves and the elevated walkway will still be visible. You'd be seriously negligent if you hit the breakwater.
- if you are concerned about breakwaters, the southern breakwater is a bigger threat because the outer half is only about a foot above water level right now and does not have any railings, walkways, etc. to help distinguish it. The light at the end works though.

St. Joe north breakwater last week:

Attachments

• P7040190_sm.jpg
    P7040190_sm.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom