refrigerator upper summer galley 40ft trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
Has anyone removed the ice maker on a 40ft mainship summer galley and put in a refrigerator if so what refrigerator were you able to put in? Tom

Not exactly what you are asking, installed a drop in box fridge from isotherm in the spot where the largely worthless electric grill is usually placed. It works great. I use a propane rail clamp grill, much better set up.

My boat didn't have the ice maker though, that could affect how much room you have for the box install.

400 MS Replace Grill with Refrig

What a great idea replacing the electric grill. Can you share photos please? Parts? Hassle factor?

Thank you.

Icemakers and electric grills are typically 120V powered appliances. If you replace one of these with a refrigerator then the 120V power should be right behind it, usually in a 120V outlet.

But if I had a summer refrigerator I would want it to be 120V and 12V powered, so it would continue to run on battery power when 120V is unavailable. Many marine refrigerators are 120V/12V powered. You will have to run a 12V circuit to the refrigerator. Either use a spare 12v breaker or an existing one that doesn't have much load on it. Size the wire to match the breaker: 12 gauge minimum for 20A, 14 gauge minimum for 15A. These refrigerators typically draw 3-5 amps on 12V DC.

David

Summer refrig

Good points. Thank you. Any thoughts on Make and model for this particular project.

Question, if it's 120/12v

does the fridge have two plugs?

I believe all 120/12V marine fridges actually run on 12V all the time. When 120V is provided, it goes through a transformer on the control unit to convert it to 12V. If no 120V is provided, it operates on direct 12V via a dedicated DC circuit. Switching is automatic. So, yes, it is wired to both AC and DC circuits.

You should be able to hardwire both the AC and the DC to respective circuits. I would not expect to see a DC plug. There is often an AC 'pigtail' wired into the fridge so it can be plugged into an AC outlet.

Back
Top Bottom