View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #17
rsn48
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Somewhere, looking at a Google map you will have to pay in time, either on your boat or in your car. To be arrogant, the cruising you can do from Blaine will over all be more interesting as you are very close to the Gulph Islands, larger than San Juan Islands, you can bounce over to Victoria or up to Vancouver.

I use to tent camp and trailer camp around La Conner, Deception Pass and Oak Harbor. I drove all the time down from North Vancouver to these locations, no big deal. And that drive is a lot longer from your home to Blaine, which according to Google Maps is 1 hour 54 minutes, which sounds much more accurate than 2 1/2 hours.

My boat is moored one hour from where I live and I happily do that drive as it gets through the long boring part of boating if I had to cruise up. If I were to leave from French Creek marina, literally minutes from my house and easy to get my boat moored, it would take me 4 or 5 hours or more to get to Powell River and access all the fun in Jarvis Inlet, Desolation Sound and the Broughton archipelago.

And the same is true for you, if you are "heavy" cruisers, not discussing weight here but use, then you will be coming up my way as sure as God makes little green barnacles (which reminds me to tell you to get a RIB, not a soft bottom dinghy).

I just finished reading an older Pacific Yachting mag about boaters who store and birth their boats significant distances from their home. The marina I'm at is considered one of the best on the coast for locale, access to great boating playgrounds and services. Apparently 15 % of all boaters out of Comox at both the public and private marina are from Alberta and fly in from Calgary and Edmonton to unite with their boat here. And according to the article, there is a 1000 boat waiting list to get in, part of the reason I purchased my boat from that marina, the slip was part of the deal, I got to jump the line.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote