History of the Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syjos

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Sandpiper
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I received this article a long time ago from Rodgers Jenkins, the original owner of the Bluewater 40 PH "Camelot" that was moored in Gig Harbor, WA. for a long time. He owned Rodgers Marine Electronics and became a dealer for the Bluewater in Portland in the 70's. The boat was in need of a restoration, he was elderly and sold the boat about ten years ago. Camelot was last seen being restored in British Columbia.

Bluewater 40 Pilothouse History

by Norman Milne

The Bluewater PH design came about sometime in early 1970. A San Francisco food importer named Mazzetta got together with a young naval architect named James McPherson and the result was aboat that was designed to operate in blue waters of the Pacific Ocean. Maxetta had enough boating experience to realize that the usual twin screw flat bottom design was useless in rough ocean waters. McPherson had some experience with Monk designs in the Seattle area and I consider his original design a classic example of good small boat practice.

By 1960, I was up to a 25 foot cabin cruiser and with a growing family, needed something larger. I drew up a sketch of what I wanted but there was nothing around that was readily available. I really wanted a bluewater boat as I had some coastal travel in wind. I found a 45 foot trawler design that Peter Varney in Newport beach was importing in the $35,000 range. Built in the Romsdal shipyards in Norway, it was a fishing boat designed for North Sea weather with a master stateroom where the fish hold is normally located, and crew bunks forward. There were a number of things that left me cold in the design and since we were not in a position to go ocean traveling, we passed on it for more civilized 40 foot Owens as an interim solution. One boat had been delivered to a customer at Lowery Yacht harbor in San Rafael north of San Francisco.

The Owens dealer in Stockton, where we lived, took us down to see it and we got a good ride on the way from Bud Lowery. We enjoyed it from 1961 to 1971 but a trip to the Farralones proved that it was no sea boat. In 1970 we were back at Lowerie’s to look at a trawler yacht he was importing from Taiwan. A single screw diesel driven double fiberglass balsa cored hull* sold me on the boat and immediately placed an order based on being allowed to change the design. Being double hulled, it did not rely on bulkheads for strength so there was full freedom to redo the interior layout which I did. I decided that I did not need the wasted space of walkaround decks and this meant a larger salon. The two heads below were next, one with a shower.

(*The first couple boats had balsa cored hulls. The rest of them were solid fiberglass.)

A dodger (portuguese bridge) on the forward deck would turn green water and eliminate the freeing ports along the hull and in the aft end. The wheelhouse was enlarged with a sailing berth and seating. With an eye to living aboard, cabinets were designed into every nook and cranny. I opted to use the English Bedford diesel as a British friend with a Leyland, the parent company, had sold me on it. The 466 cubic inch engine turned out 150 ship horsepower. It had a long history of service in the London Bedford busses and trucks. It also had an engine driven hydraulic pump and an air pump to pump up tires! A 330 to 393 SHP model was also available and would have been a good alternative as my later research into British Admiralty Ship design indicated the hull could be driven at 8 knots with 65 SHP.

The changes I required were put down on paper and passed on to McPherson who came up with the drawings of the new design for the shipyard in Taiwan. The first three boats were all the same design since Mazzetta had decided to name his boat as Bluewater, as shown on artist’s rendering and they all became Bluewaters. Our #4 boat became SUJAN, like the Owens for our daughters Sue and jan. Number 4 finally showed up in June of 1971 and went through a two month outfitting process at Lowerie’s which could provide the details for a book length saga.

Wow. Thanks for the background. I have one, Monarch III, I acquired 3 years ago. I have every installation and operating manual for every system on the boat including the original warranty registration for the the Lehman 120s. I don't think there are many of these left. She is a beauty and I live aboard in SF/Alameda every other month. Your description is very accurate. I have the full layed up fiberglass. I agree with you on capabilities, but w/ 2 - 700 gallon diesel tanks.....can go far, but would stay near shore. More importantly.....she has an ice machine! She is like a restored 38 Lincoln classic car.

That’s some great history Simon, thanks.

They are sturdy and unique little trawlers. We love ours and answer questions on the docks or in the locks about them all the time. Usually starts out with “ I really like your boat, what is it?” and it goes from there.

Having this history is very cool!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. We love our Bluewater and it has served us well up in Alaska for 14 years.

Tator

We usually get mistaken for a Krogen.

We need more threads in the Bluewater forum section. Please write something about your boat, where/how acquired, what you've done to it, where it's been, special features, pictures etc.

bluewater 40 design plans

Hey, im new here and just got myself a 1971 bluewater 40 (I think? because LOA is 40 but beam is 13.10" so basically 14, but it has the hull streaking, not sure if its a tayana or bluewater) with the single bedford/ cored hull. Im thinking it must be hull #2 or 3? Im looking for the design plan drawings of the boat by McPherson. I thought it would look really great framed and hanging in the salon. Does anybody have any blueprints or design drawings? thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hey, im new here and just got myself a 1971 bluewater 40 (I think? because LOA is 40 but beam is 13.10" so basically 14, but it has the hull streaking, not sure if its a tayana or bluewater) with the single bedford/ cored hull. Im thinking it must be hull #2 or 3? Im looking for the design plan drawings of the boat by McPherson. I thought it would look really great framed and hanging in the salon. Does anybody have any blueprints or design drawings? thanks in advance

Welcome to Bluewater ownership!

If it has strakes on the hull, it's a Bluewater 40.

Is the hull cored?

Where did you find the Bluewater?

What was the name of the boat when you bought it?

I have a full size blueprint of the Bluewater, its 32" X 36". It is a specific blueprint for Sandpipers build.

Welcome to Bluewater ownership!

If it has strakes on the hull, it's a Bluewater 40.

Is the hull cored?

Where did you find the Bluewater?

What was the name of the boat when you bought it?

I have a full size blueprint of the Bluewater, its 32" X 36". It is a specific blueprint for Sandpipers build.

The LOA is just over 40' , but the beam is 13.10" almost 14'. I was under the impression the bluewater 40 beam was only 13? Unfortunately it is a cored hull (no moisture detected though, and fitting were well cared for). I picked it up in Bellingham a couple months ago, I think it came from Townsend though. It has some very unique features though, which makes me think it was a very early build, if not the first. The boat was previously name 'Salish Moon' I gotta get my hand on a copy of those prints, so cool!

I just found out the previous name before 'Salish Moon' was 'Silent Night'

I just found out the previous name before 'Salish Moon' was 'Silent Night'

I don't know the boat. I keep an eye on Yacht World for Bluewaters and don't recall seeing it. But, I have not looked for a couple months.

The LOA is just over 40' , but the beam is 13.10" almost 14'. I was under the impression the bluewater 40 beam was only 13? Unfortunately it is a cored hull (no moisture detected though, and fitting were well cared for). I picked it up in Bellingham a couple months ago, I think it came from Townsend though. It has some very unique features though, which makes me think it was a very early build, if not the first. The boat was previously name 'Salish Moon' I gotta get my hand on a copy of those prints, so cool!

The hull number should start with BYY40 if it's a Bluewater.

The hull number should start with BYY40 if it's a Bluewater.

The hull number starts with WNZ, but i don't know if that's the original hull number, because every WA titled boat I've owned had a hull number starting with WNZ. it defiantly has hull strakes. Reported displacement is 36,000. has a reported fuel tank capacity of 600gl which is nice, and 300gl fresh water. has the single bedford 466 diesel, but I am currently re powering it with the cummins 5.9 6BT. Like i said earlier, id like to find out more about these boats, but from what i understand it was only the first couple that had cored hulls, and i haven't seen any other bluewater 40s with the design features this one has. That's why i thought it might be hull number 1,2, or 3.

Petersburg

Thanks for the information. We love our Bluewater and it has served us well up in Alaska for 14 years.

Tator

friend in Petersburg saw your ad and sent it to me. Ad doesn't work or boat sold? currently in Florida but looking to replace my boat.

Fred Becker 386-225-1150 frbcapt@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Never really had an ad. Just put some flyers on the boat ramps here in Petersburg, sign on the boat and word of mouth. Not sure why the contact info wouldn't work. Had a full price offer in two days contingent on survey and haulout which they are trying to arrange for this coming Monday. I was waiting to post that it's been sold here on the forum until it's all final. If it didn't sell before we head south at the end of Aug., we were going to advertise it next Spring on the forum as it will be tented and decommissioned for the winter.

Tator

Bluewater History

Maybe I can help some new Bluewater owners? Maybe not. From my perspective, that refers to Bluewater ownership and use in the 1970s to early 80s.
A quick background: A good friend Norman Milne of Stockton, CA introduced me to the 40’ BW being sold by Bud Lowrie in San Rafael, CA as he was waiting for delivery of his own. I had recently bought a 31’ Concorde in Sausalito and realized I needed more boat for the SF Bay and beyond the Gate. The 40’ Bluewater by McPherson was the choice. So I ordered a modified Acapulco and also ordered the first build with the fly-bridge and waited.
Another owner just ahead of me on the construction schedule was Fred Burger,
and along with Norm Milne, they both offered great suggestions during the months of commissioning. One modification I made was to place a gen.set in line with a large gear secured to the single shaft. Without speed control or reverse, and for emergencies only, the chain-drive setup could at least get me back to a safe anchorage. My only fwd. control was to start and stop the Onan.

The view from the fly-bridge was great when up in the Delta and trying to see over the island levees. It was also great for managing multiple lines when trolling for salmon off the GG Bridge. It was also mighty handy when docking.
The saloon roof was heavily used by family and guests and a dingy was suspended on davits at the stern.

I am a new member and simply want to contribute where I can- and with what I can still remember about the Bluewater and its many years of use in the Sacramento Delta or fishing off the Golden Gate. I have no idea who bought it or where it ended up. I think it was hull #11 and was a balsa-core hull that stayed bone dry. I do know it was transported to SF as deck cargo on a very slow freighter from India. From the date of order to the date of christening was a long 9 months.

Even with the teak decks, she remained in sound condition mostly because of a covered berth in the Delta. I recall that rain water was the enemy to other Bluewater trawlers that remained in and around SF Bay. In the later years of ownership, I docked her at the SFYC in Tiburon, CA. to have better access to open-ocean salmon fishing.

I enjoy the Bluewater Forum and all the many tales of ownership, use and repair. The cost of diesel the last time I filled the 400 gal tank was 46c / gal. Sorry. Capt. Dave

Welcome to Trawler Forum.

What a great story. The people you mentioned are part of Bluewater history. So are you.

I'd be interested in hearing more about ordering and receiving the Bluewater.

About Bluewater dealers.

Also Bluewater cruising stories would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom