older KKs with beamed ceilings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hayesdvm

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Just One Look
Vessel Make
Back Cove 41, Boston Whaler Montauk 210
I am looking at brokerage boats and am trying to decide between the newer boats and boats one generation back. Looking at the newer boats, in the saloon, pilothouse and cabins they have the smooth ceilings with a grab rail. This gives a nice finished look, but I kind of like the older boats that had the beamed ceiling. I am guessing there were other benefits to the change beyond looks, such as sound dampening, possibly insulation?

I was hoping someone that had experience with both might could provide some information on the benefits of one versus the other?

Any other significant differences/improvements made over the last 15 years that anyone feels makes a big difference?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

I was on the last 42 made. It had beamed ceilings as best I recall. A big change was going from cores to solid FRP hull below the waterline. Lots of members with 42s will chime in with many other details on changes.

Last edited:
They look like “beamed” ceilings, but the wood you see there is just teak trim. So those are FRP panels with gel coat. I’m not certain what lies under the teak trim.

Tom: Gary’s boat was something else wasn’t it? He kept it in Bristol condition.

Salon looking Forward.jpg

The newer KKs have better noise and temperature control.

The older KK’s have that, as you call it, “beamed” ceilings, but they are ribbed fiberglass panels capped with teak. Structural rigidity is greatly enhanced and holds the port to starboard crown quite well. Rigidity forward to aft is more reliant on bulkheads and integrity of the coring, and things like pilothouse joints, mast locations and over-burdened deck boxes can take their toll over the years.

Manatees, in particular, have both the pilothouse and mast joint meeting directly over the center of the saloon windows. It’s likely you’ll find a small (but harmless) water collection area on the walkways in that area. Those ribbed ceiling panels go a long way towards maintaining the center crown, pushing the water towards the edges of the deck.

Last edited:
They look like “beamed” ceilings, but the wood you see there is just teak trim. So those are FRP panels with gel coat. I’m not certain what lies under the teak trim.

Tom: Gary’s boat was something else wasn’t it? He kept it in Bristol condition.

View attachment 90959

Yes, Gary’s boat was indeed special. BTW I spent some time on a KK 44 last week. Some interesting changes from the 42 especially in the ER and access to.

Larry,

Thanks for that information. With the panel in the new KKs you can't see what is above it. I can see how the ribbed fiberglass would add additional rigidity and stability. It would be nice to see what lies above the ceiling in the newer boats.

Mark

hayesdvm,

When we were researching, we had this same thought. We liked the older look more than the current vinyl. Ultimately the other improvements made in the newer generation won out. Also, the older style requires more gelcoat to keep waxed. The vinyl ceiling has a few removable panels for access which actually works out nicely. The Kadey Krogen office can share which panels on which hull are removeable.

As for differences in the last 15 years, it really depends on which model and which hull you are talking about. For the 48, they phased in some of the newer changes in 2008-2010 ahead of the official AE transition in 2010. I'm less familiar with the 44. Most changes are either ergonomic or cosmetic. Nothing structural that I'm aware of.

--Jeremiah

The newer boats with vinyl ceilings still have stiffeners much like the visible beams running across the overhead.

They're rough glass with gel-coat rolled on to seal, and there are several strategic conduits laminated in that pass through the beams for existing and future electrical.
As said above several panels are removable for wiring access.
If you press your finger hard at the corners of the panels, the removable panel edge will have a very slight flex, the fixed panels will be very solid.

Brian

Last edited:
Ahh, but for those of us with the older KKs: That is exactly what you are looking at, covers over the mahogany stringers. While I love the new and shiny as much as the next guy, Ive experienced the trials and tribulations of water intrusion. With the old style, you get to pry loose the stringer covers and voila, you have access to the whole of the base of the upper deck. Needless to say, when it comes time to work on it, having immediate access to both upper and lower structure is marvelous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom