Greetings To All--Retired Airmen Needs Your Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Bird

Vessel Name
Ali Kai
Vessel Make
Sailfish 2660
Hi to all--apologize for long post!

I'm a retired USAF logistician and my wife is a retired Navy civilian. We'd like to buy a used Express Hard-top type boat--something that'll be capable near shore; could take to the Bahamas and do part/all of the loop. Most of our time will be in the ICW. Our trips will have 2 people--myself and my spouse.

More importantly, I'm looking for mentors who will keep me on track during and after the purchase!

Right now, we have the following criteria:
- Budget is <$140K
- 30-34' range--nearer to 30' the better.
- Hard-Top Express (E.g., Mainship 30 pilot II Sedan; Albin 31 T.E.; BackCove 29)
- Good sea keeping ability
- Single screw, diesel engine
- low hour engine--well documented maint. record
- 12-18knts cruise; wot low 20s
- Quiet, if possible or suggestions on how to make the helm area quiet
- Solid bonded electrical system
- Queen or near queen size birth
- AC in birthing area; helm area would be nice too
- Separate shower in head area
- Diesel Gen Set
- Auto pilot
- Bow Thruster
- Windlass
- Fishing capability a plus
- Protected screw
- Transom door
- Helm door so I can handle docking by myself
- East coast location preferred

I will put good Nav/Electronics on the boat if it does not have it. I will also have a survey done and conduct a sea trial.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
T-Bird,

T-Bird,

Be happy to help, but need more info. You did a good job of outlining your budget and expectations. But additional info and details is need to zero in on the right boat for you.

You said a hardtop, but didn't talk about a flybridge. Is that in or out?
You noted a single engine, but also 20 knot speed. That may be difficult on a single engine. Would 14 knots work out?
How long do you expect to stay on the boat at one time? (day, week, month, year, or years) if you need more live aboard amenities.
Do you plan on doing the loop in one pass, or sections at a time?
Would a second small stateroom for guest be on your list?
It sounds like you may be in the 35-40' range with your budget, and expectations.

Like I said more details would be helpful.:socool:

Welcome Airman (Ret)! I am a fellow Airman.

My one suggestion would be to step on a lot of boats to see what is out there. Attend boat shows, you have two of the best shows in the world.

Does the Admiral have a wish list?

Here I am!!!

Yes, the Mainship Pilot 34 ticks most of your boxes as does its smaller sister the Pilot 30. The boxes it doesn't tick:

V-Berth not a queen
No helm door although getting out the back which is usually open to handle dock lines takes only another second or so. I have easily single handed it.
No A/C at helm, although it could be added to the factory A/C package with some additional ducting/duct damper.

The others you mention: Back Cove 29, Albin 30 all have the same "deficiencies" as above.

The Pilot 34 with the single Yanmar 370 cruises at 14 kts at 2,800 rpm and tops out at barely 20. The Pilot 30 with the Yanmar 315 will go a little faster- cruise at 15+ kts and tops out at low 20s.

With your budget you could easily find a Pilot 34 that would work. I sold my 2003 last year for $110,000. Decent condition but needed new cushions.

It is a damn good boat for what you want to do!!

David

Last edited:
Welcome, T-Bird! I'm sure you'll find lots of support & info here in your boat quest, as well as other retired USAF (my skipper is retired USAF, 32 years, including 14 tours in Vietnam). We are also searching for our next boat, which we plan to keep in Florida. Folks here have been very helpful in our search.

Welcome., T-Bird, from another airman... very likely well before your time. :) Thanks for your service.

I think Hinckley, Sabre, and MJM make some newish boats that might illustrate your target. Sometimes called "picnic boats" or some such (at least by Hinckley, I think).
New boats, very expensive... but reviewing those might help you home in on something similar but closer to your budget. Otherwise, you might search on "Downeast" boats. (yachtworld.com can be your friend.)

Different style altogether, but likely offering most of the features you've cited, are SeaRay Sundancer and similar express boats from Cruisers (brand), Regal, etc. Not single sscrew, and these aren't as close to "trawler-ish" (?) in either looks or usage patterns... but they can be driven at slower speeds some (much?) of the time if necessary, at least when sea states permit, for better fuel economy.

-Chris

Quick Reply USE

Members, I replied to a lot of threads but now I don't see me responses--what I'm I doing wrong?

TBird

Thank you for your service and Welcome aboard TF

David M covered the MS Pilots well... he's one of the MS go to contributors and knows them inside and out.
For some reason I don't see a budget $# like others do / did? But I'll add that our MS 34HT fills a couple of the items a Pilot misses.

Helm door - never had one before but love ours
Separate shower - a nice roomy hard door/enclosure
AC in helm / saloon area - we don't normally use it running but might if in warmer climes
Quiet - the 34 T / HT is a very quiet ride
FWD cabin - island queen... not a lot of room around but it is an island
One drawback we found was the sofa sleeper wasn't comfortable seating and we replaced it w 2 recliners

The 34HTs are somewhat of a rare bird.... MS didn't make a lot but they are around. I found several up/down the E & Gulf Coast when we were looking. Great boat for 2 people IMO.
Good luck w the search

Members, I replied to a lot of threads but now I don't see me responses--what I'm I doing wrong?
I can only guess but wonder if you pressed the "send" button (arrow on top right) if using the App or submit reply if on the website (at bottom)
If you choose "go advanced" it adds some features vs quick reply and will let you preview the post before submitting.

I will second Don's comments about the MS 34HT model. It is in an entirely different class than the express cruisers or downeast style boats you mentioned.

The 34HT has a huge beam for its size and as a result a huge cabin. The single berth forward is a center line queen.

Performance is a step down from the express cruisers due to its weight and beam. I had its sister the 34T with flybridge and it would cruise at 12 kts and top out at 17kts or so. At 12 kts it probably was burning the same or more fuel than the Pilot 34 at 14-15 kts with the same engine and rpm.

But for a comfortable loop or Bahamas boat for two it can't be beat.

David

TBird

Thank you for your service and Welcome aboard TF

David M covered the MS Pilots well... he's one of the MS go to contributors and knows them inside and out.
For some reason I don't see a budget $# like others do / did? But I'll add that our MS 34HT fills a couple of the items a Pilot misses.

Helm door - never had one before but love ours
Separate shower - a nice roomy hard door/enclosure
AC in helm / saloon area - we don't normally use it running but might if in warmer climes
Quiet - the 34 T / HT is a very quiet ride
FWD cabin - island queen... not a lot of room around but it is an island
One drawback we found was the sofa sleeper wasn't comfortable seating and we replaced it w 2 recliners

The 34HTs are somewhat of a rare bird.... MS didn't make a lot but they are around. I found several up/down the E & Gulf Coast when we were looking. Great boat for 2 people IMO.
Good luck w the search
Thanks Bacchus--I like the look of that boat. As I talk to folks on this forum, many are swaying me towards a Flybridge. Plusses & Minuses to everything. I really thought I knew exactly what I wanted but I'm keeping the Admiral involved and she wants us to Sea trial both Fly-Bridge & hard tops. Some of the boats at 34' just look top heavy to me w/a Fly-bridge?

Tracy,

Can you reply to other postings now I called for help.

TBird
Reply success!
Flybridge is a very personal choice... good to try and experience it but I'd suggest to not only pick an ideal day / conditions but to also get the feel in less than ideal.

We are not flybridge fans but I have no argument with those that are.
I certainly would not like a single station flybridge and the extra cost of a second station and equipping it can be a negative.
We're getting older and figure a hardtop w/o a FB could allow us to continue boating an extra 5-10 yrs. We also do a lot of locking and really like the lower helm w a door for that. Currently in the middle of a 2-3 mo cruise w 110 locks.

I wanted a boat I could single hand easily if / when required... and the MS 34HT firs that category well.

Advice I offer to many...

Write down your intended use, length(duration) & style of cruising (anchoring vs marinas)
Make your lists (good start) but categorize into Musts, Wants, and Don't Wants

Have mate/admiral do her own lists

Compare & compromise (do it her way!)

Walk docks, shows, talk to owners what they like/dislike and their style of cruising.
Also consider chartering as a way to experience it for yourself.

Engage your spouse and make the exploration fun vs work. Shows etc csb be mini vacations centered around boats and the water.

I agree.
Both you and your wife are in this.
Have her to make her own list, and then compare.

Last edited:
Welcome! Another former aviator here....CFI, Charter Pilot, FAA ATC, FAA Navaids Flight Inspector- retired.

If you plan to stay aboard at a mooring or underway for long periods, also consider your tankage for fresh water and holding tanks as well as electrical system capabilities like battery storage/charging.

There are many other, older boats out there with several thousand hours that will cost less and outlive all of us. It's a trade off between shine and $$. To me, age is less important than condition. A rarely used boat will likely have more problems than a regularly used and maintained vessel.

In 2007, I bought a 30-year old 1977 34 Californian LRC. Today it's a 42 year old boat and has never been more capable. Sure, it's a slow 7.5 Kt cruise (10 Kt WOT) but I knew that I'd have more time than money in retirement. It's all a trade off.

I think the MS 34T is a great vessel...as is the Camano Troll...now a Helmsman 31 Sedan. Neither checks all the boxes but they're nice vessels.

Enjoy the hunt!

Thanks Bacchus--I like the look of that boat. As I talk to folks on this forum, many are swaying me towards a Flybridge. Plusses & Minuses to everything. I really thought I knew exactly what I wanted but I'm keeping the Admiral involved and she wants us to Sea trial both Fly-Bridge & hard tops. Some of the boats at 34' just look top heavy to me w/a Fly-bridge?

T-Bird, you are right to think twice re the flybridge. We had a CHB 34, (Clipper 34 in Oz waters), and it had a flybridge. Even in the Queensland climate I have to say we spent little time up there. Nice in certain situations, sure. Eg watching NYE fireworks, photographing wildlfie, etc. But instruments don't like being exposed to the elements, and often it's either too hot - or too cold, to be up there, and there's the climbing up and down. And if you're going to enclose it and form essentially what one long-time member on here (FF) calls an oxygen tent, then why not just stay below.

But looking to become say, less fossil fuel dependent for energy, an uncluttered top deck makes for a lot of solar panel room - just sayin.'
Having said that I would regard a pilot side door out a must have. :)

Tbird,

Welcome to the forum. Great people here. Lots of knowledge and great advise.

I crawled around many boats before i found my little Donzi express cruiser (express = goes fast) Its like a 27ft camper that floats. I looked at so many different boats they started to blend together. Started big, then got smaller. Looked at our budget and realized that a bigger boat wasn't practical for us. So, the Donzi was a perfect compromise for us. Its light weight and trailerable without a permit. Way lighter than the comparable Sea Rays. We go on our cruises ad time and money permit. Love all of the boaters we have met in our travels so far.

Have fun looking, ask questions, swap stories and before you know it, the right boat will come along.

Tbird,

Welcome to the forum. Great people here. Lots of knowledge and great advise.

I crawled around many boats before i found my little Donzi express cruiser (express = goes fast) Its like a 27ft camper that floats. I looked at so many different boats they started to blend together. Started big, then got smaller. Looked at our budget and realized that a bigger boat wasn't practical for us. So, the Donzi was a perfect compromise for us. Its light weight and trailerable without a permit. Way lighter than the comparable Sea Rays. We go on our cruises ad time and money permit. Love all of the boaters we have met in our travels so far.

Have fun looking, ask questions, swap stories and before you know it, the right boat will come along.
Thanks Heather & Mack!

T-Bird, you are right to think twice re the flybridge. We had a CHB 34, (Clipper 34 in Oz waters), and it had a flybridge. Even in the Queensland climate I have to say we spent little time up there. Nice in certain situations, sure. Eg watching NYE fireworks, photographing wildlfie, etc. But instruments don't like being exposed to the elements, and often it's either too hot - or too cold, to be up there, and there's the climbing up and down. And if you're going to enclose it and form essentially what one long-time member on here (FF) calls an oxygen tent, then why not just stay below.

But looking to become say, less fossil fuel dependent for energy, an uncluttered top deck makes for a lot of solar panel room - just sayin.'
Having said that I would regard a pilot side door out a must have. :)
Good stuff Sparks and thanks...the solar panels are interesting. I l also need room for SUP and Kayak!
Take care.

In addition to owning a non flybridge MS Pilot 34 in the US NE for five years, I owned a MS 34T, the flybridge version of the 34HT, in southern California. With its wide beam the 34T didn't have significantly different roll characteristics than the Pilot 34. The 34HT probably rolls a little less due to less weight up top but note that the weight difference between the T and HT is only about 1,000 lbs.

I wouldn't want a party of 6 or more going on up top on my 34T while pushing it through 5'+ seas but hey I couldn't have a party of 6 or more on my Pilot 34 anyway.

In SoCal I definitely wanted a flybridge model. In the US NE, I didn't. It all depends on how you use the boat.

David

It appears that I can now send posts. I emailed regarding availability of a Legacy 34' in Ft L. Call me at the phone number emailed if interested. Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom