cutlass bearing need to be replaced because ?? why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olesouth

Veteran Member
Ok so I have to replace all the running gear on a boat that I am working on because ,* It all got stolen. so I found a set that well work took them off this boat that has been out of the water for 7 years I need the shaft, shaft log, struts 2 on each side and the props, and rudder,* Now with that there are 4 bearing how would I know if these are no good or just how good they are. I hate to spend the money on replacing them all it they don't need. it. so any help great.

It's not easy to tell if the cutlass bearings are good or bad except when installed and matched to the shaft. *Then movement at the prop end indicates the need for replacement. *Also if these have been out of the boat for 7 years, and are the hard rubber type, they are probably so dried out they aren't likely to be good. *Best replace then, I should think.

That said, if you can precisely measure the distance between ribs of the bearing from one side to the other, and they are all equal and conform to the tolerances contained in the following link, then maybe they are ok. *I'd still replace them just because of the age...

http://www.pacificmarine.net/cutlessbearingtolerances.htm

Age alone does not make replacement necessary. For example; a friend of mine has a boat built in 1912 (celebrations of its century this year). One (only one) of its cutless bearings was worn oval when bought by my friend in 1984. He replaced that one in about 2005. The other is going strong. I doubt they were original equipment, but are at least as old as the current engines, installed sometime in the 50s.

I replace all the parts in question once you are there.* 80+ % of the cost to replace/repair is to have the boat pulled, have the prop/rudder taken off and pull the shaft,*so you might as well spend the little extra money and have it done right.

Also you might what to check the shaft run out before you install it?* * Once it's in the water also check the engine/shaft alingment in about a week once things have settled.*

Back
Top Bottom