Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
ben2go
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For any engine a great question to the seller is what power can be taken of the front of any engine.

Some lawn equipment runs hyd pumps off the front ,so the output is good.

Most marinizers offer a large number of packages.

I like a stock alt to charge the start batt , as most time it does almost nothing so will not wear out its bearing, so the stock water pump operation is at less risk.

A dual pulley bolt on, can operate a large alt and a water maker or hyd , or refrigeration pump with low loads if installed on either side of the engine.If any fail, the engine can keep operating.

Funny you should mention these points. When I was emailing with Mr. Spira about engine options, I never took into consideration my possible alternator size or prop size. Beta rep led me to water and I finally took a drink. Through research, I have been looking at horsepower versus alternators. I may be undersized with a 38hp engine. The engine alone will get me just over 6.5kts at 3/4 throttle add in a 120-130 amp alternator that may pull as much as 7hp and the continuous 16hp of the 38 drops to 9hp when the alternator is really working. I may end up going to the 50hp it's the same as the 43 and spins at 2800 rpm max where the 38 sings at 3600 rpm max. I believe I would rather hum along at 14-1600 rpm rather than 22-2400 rpm. With the 50hp I could run the ZF25A. My prop size choices expand from 16-18 inches with the 1.9:1 ratio or 18-20 inches with the 2.29:1 ratio. I'm hoping for a larger wheel with less pitch, 17x10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Ben- Talk to Beta, many engine packagers will put on the gear of your choice with no fuss.

I been in contact with them and will be staying in contact.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote