New to me Beneteau 42 Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
Since 1972 been sailing in the NE Long Island Sound etc.

Sold my last Benne sailboat 36.7 in 2013, been away from boating too long

We decided to go with a Trawler, been looking online for a few weeks.

Saw a several bad boats that I felt sorry for and few that that were over priced, this brand had a range differential of $80K for the ones on the market $200-$300K crazy:rolleyes:

Found this 2005 in FL, since I was familiar with the build on the Benne I was right at home, I spent two hours going thru the boat and presented a punch list to the selling broker of the items and yard costs to replace repair and made an offer and said I was not interested in a counter from the seller. But like all brokers he called with counter, I said -PASS

An hour later they accepted, based on my punch list not being cause to back out.

So anything major uncovered in the survey I could decline or renegotiate.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 187
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 159
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Congrats on your new boat. Good luck with it and have fun.

Congratulations!

Please keep us posted as you get to know the new boat I currently have a 343 beneteau but have been looking at the swift trawlers. The 42 has always been on my list especially with price of the newer 35 and 44s. Congrats and good luck

Lipets,congratulations, I hope it works out.
I was about to buy an ST42 of similar age but backed out. I started a thread about it on TF and received a lot of good advice.
My main reason not to proceed was the " balsa cored below waterline" hull. I decided that was an unacceptable risk.
The other main issue was the location of the raw water feed insertion point into the exhausts possibly allowing salt water to pool in the turbochargers of the twin Yanmars.
Other concerns were the build quality, the "compact" twin bathrooms(I`d have used one as the shower and one as the head), but otherwise I liked the layout and concept,it was a reluctant decision to say "no".

Here is the thread I started: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s60/comments-2004-swift-trawler-please-42565.html
Thanks for the link to another thread. I was satisfied they were cored below,you could check the Beneteau site. I found online a video of construction, there seemed no doubt they were cored below. When I raised it with the experienced broker, he said all Beneteau boats are cored below.
If they not cored below that`s excellent news for you. Not everyone dislikes the construction method either. But for me, the risk of a leak at a thru hull was a concern, fortified by finding leaks at the bow cabin portlights. If those were not properly sealed, what was the chance of a defect at an underwater one too?
In hindsight, cored hull or not, I was happy with not proceeding and have eyes on something else. Note I`m conservative, retired,and risk averse. The cored hull could be just fine, and it is clearly acceptable to the ST42 adherents.
There may be some other ST42 threads on TF worth review.
As well as the engine raw water issue re the turbos, the raw water routing from thru hull to engine seemed unnecessarily long and convoluted on the boat I saw.
I hope it goes well and you get a lovely boat, they have lots of accommodation and a smart innovative fitout. The dinghy lifting/storage system was very well thought out.
Checking the thread above, I`m sure the thread went multiple pages,maybe part got lost or there was another thread, I especially remember the post from Codger about the commonsense of my previous posts when I was inclined to buy it notwithstanding the cored hull. Can`t find it so far,but sure there was more.

Last edited:
BruceK, we get it you don't like the boat

You go by some sales person telling you it's cored when there was post from someone here stating he called the factory with the name of the person and tel# saying it's not!!!!

In the face of that you persist,

I'm not really interested in your opinions on this fact.

Start your own thread stop raining on my parade please

lipets, that`s quite unpleasant.

Having done the hard yards on one of these boats I shared my research. I believe it was entirely proper to do so, if not part of the duty of one TF member towards another. I would have been remiss being silent, especially with the thread contributions from senior respected and qualified TF members which helped guide my decision.

You reached a different conclusion which of course is your right. I wish you every success with the transaction and great enjoyment of your new boat.

Lipets: He wasn't raining on your parade. He was just trying to share info and help.

Let us know when the survey is over and you're officially the owner. Seems like a cool boat. Welcome aboard.

We just purchased an ST50 in March and we’re very pleased with the boat. The layout, design, reliability has been superb. We’re currently on a trip up to Desolation Sound in BC and in addition to providing everything we need, the boat has been very fuel efficient and comfortable. I would recommend that you join the Beneteau Swift Trawler Owner’s Group on Facebook. It’s quite active and the other owners there are very generous in sharing their knowledge and experience. Congratulations on your new boat!!

Sandy

Thanks Sandy, I take a look at FB

I actually didn't close on the boat till today after surveys & sea trail.

All went well all oil samples were well withing normal ranges.
All A/C's were ok but needed descaling had a factory rep from wabasto check all 3 units yesterday.

Many minor items all were taken in consideration of of my offer

but negotiated further with seller on these two items

Had vibration but found cutlass bearings need changing & barnacles
Trim tabs not working looks like a bad electrical connection

Left boat out water to do bottom & bearings for next few days then take her home.

Congratulations! If we had a re-do we'd buy the ST44 again. Great value, comfortable boat.

Congrats. I am very interested in buying a Swift Trawler and looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you experience the greats, goods and not so goods (all boats have one or two not so goods).

Best of luck!!

Congratulations! I just went through the same decision making process in purchasing a 2013 ST34. I read all the blogs and watched the videos. Some reviews said the underwater hull was cored, some said not. Two Beneteau sales people said no and my surveyor and broker said no. I did several searches for information on Beneteaus having a problem with cored hulls and found nothing. So..., my conclusion was that I don't really know if its cored but if it is I'm fairly confident it was constructed in a sound manner.

Did the bottom work at a DIY yard near Port Salerno south of Stuart fl
clean all paint & growth off and painted all running gear with 4 coats of zinc chromate by rustoleum

Left Thursday morning at dawn non stop to Daytona
at 2800 was doing 17 knots made it by 4pm.

Needed to beat the tropical depression.

Engines ran at 170 degrees and oil at about 58psi

Lots of slow spots for Manatees

Averaged 12 for whole trip didn't burn nearly as much fuel as expected.

Nice! Congrats on your inaugural voyage. Sounds like it went smoothly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom