Bottom / prop paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
I'm having a boat being surveyed soon and since it out of the water anyway I thought I give a fresh coat of paint.

The boat will be kept central Fl east coast

What is the current thinking on painting props/rudders etc
Been seeing other options like Prop Glide

Paint everything except the ZINKS.

As far as "prop glide or prop speed" it only works on fast boats.

I've tried a variety of prop paint and they are all mediocre in protection from growth. In the PNW, barnacles and slime are the major problems.

Prop Speed was pretty good but had to apply it more frequently. Prep and painting is a lot of steps.

Interlux Interprotect 2000 epoxy primer and Micron Extra bottom paint worked the best. Lasted 5 years, kept growth from growing on the prop. Prep and painting is a lot of steps. The bottom paint on the tips were worn away by year 5 but the center of the prop was barnacle free. Interlux recommends Trilux 33 for paint but the Extra worked fine.

Rust-Oleum Cold Galvanizing paint spray paint works pretty good. No prep other than sand. Lasts one to two years. Pettit Paint sells the cold galvanizing paint for underwater metals and calls it "Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier" and it costs about 5 times more than the Rust-Oleum. Has less zinc in it than the Rust-Oleum.

A lot depends on the water where you moor, the RPM of the prop and how often the boat is used - how often the propeller is spun. We keep the boat in the water all year. Those on the east coast, who haul out every fall has an advantage on the prop maintenance.

Sandpiper has a 2.5 to 1 gear and cruises at 1700 rpm. The propeller spins at 680 RPM. Not enough RPM's to spin the baby barnacles off the prop.

Last edited:
Rust-Oleum Cold Galvanizing paint spray paint works pretty good. No prep other than sand. Lasts one to two years. Pettit Paint sells the cold galvanizing paint for underwater metals and calls it "Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier" and it costs about 5 times more than the Rust-Oleum. Has less zinc in it than the Rust-Oleum.

As they say - all growth is local. Actually, I don't know if anyone says that, but they should.

I found the advice above to be right for my conditions in Chesapeake Bay and when I was in Tampa Bay.

Second the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray. We just did our props/shafts with 6 coats. Hoping for a good couple years of protection.

The price difference between Rustoleum and Pettit’s products was substantial. The former was $8.99/can at our local hardware store while the latter was $26 at the chandlery. We went through 9 spray cans for our application.

We've had decent luck with the Barnacle Barrier. Haven't tried the Rust-Oleum yet...

-Chris

I've tried a variety of prop paint and they are all mediocre in protection from growth. In the PNW, barnacles and slime are the major problems.

Prop Speed was pretty good but had to apply it more frequently. Prep and painting is a lot of steps.

Interlux Interprotect 2000 epoxy primer and Micron Extra bottom paint worked the best. Lasted 5 years, kept growth from growing on the prop. Prep and painting is a lot of steps. The bottom paint on the tips were worn away by year 5 but the center of the prop was barnacle free. Interlux recommends Trilux 33 for paint but the Extra worked fine.

A lot depends on the water where you moor, the RPM of the prop and how often the boat is used - how often the propeller is spun. We keep the boat in the water all year. Those on the east coast, who haul out every fall has an advantage on the prop maintenance.

Sandpiper has a 2.5 to 1 gear and cruises at 1700 rpm. The propeller spins at 680 RPM. Not enough RPM's to spin the baby barnacles off the prop.

I am early in experiential application of the Petit cold galvanizing paint on my running gear.
Last year I applied Petit to all of my running gear. Going in I had barnacle growth of up to 1" tall and 1" diameter barncles on 13 months since the previous haulout, when I had painted the running gear with Petit Horizon antifouling, the same as I use on the hull. The hull had no barnacles whatsoever.
This year the barnacles were a little smaller. the propellers were completely covered with very small barnacles and the rest of the running gear with larger barnacles, though none as large as the previous year. This time I used Petit Horizon on the port side running gear and cold galvanizing on starboard. I don't have high hopes for either.
The days of no hard growth seem to be gone with the switch away from high copper content paints.

I am early in experiential application of the Petit cold galvanizing paint on my running gear.
Last year I applied Petit to all of my running gear. Going in I had barnacle growth of up to 1" tall and 1" diameter barncles on 13 months since the previous haulout, when I had painted the running gear with Petit Horizon antifouling, the same as I use on the hull. The hull had no barnacles whatsoever.
This year the barnacles were a little smaller. the propellers were completely covered with very small barnacles and the rest of the running gear with larger barnacles, though none as large as the previous year. This time I used Petit Horizon on the port side running gear and cold galvanizing on starboard. I don't have high hopes for either.
The days of no hard growth seem to be gone with the switch away from high copper content paints.

Applying copper based anti fouling like Pettitt Horizon directly on underwater metal will never last. A barrier coat like epoxy or special primer is needed to electrically isolate the underwater metal from the copper in the paint. Otherwise the copper in the paint will sacrifice itself to the dissimilar metal prop, SS shaft or strut.

You might be pleasantly surprised by how the galvanizing performs.

Can the cold galvanizing be applied to an aluminum outdrive or do you need a primer? If so, what is recommended?

Rob

Ok 6 coats of Rustoleum it is.

Also found Pettit Trinidad Pro on sale at Defender for $135

Two coats of petit barrier coat, one coat of blue interlux fiberglass bottomkote and finally 2 coats of international interspeed. The blue is used for the wear indicator. I also coated the running gear with petit cold galvanizing spray paint for the first time. I hope it works. I do agree the rustoleum cold galvanizing paint is very similar and much cheaper at $10 a can at Canadian tire. I seen this stuff after i bought the petit. I coated the first 10 ft of my anchor chain with it. Will see how it holds up. 20190703_130128.jpeg20190704_170014.jpeg20190707_102635.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom