Mainship 30 Pilot, stereo replace access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beekeepergreg

Vessel Name
Mayrose
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 pilot
I am considering changing our existing stereo.
Before I take out a mess of screw...
Is there an access from the outside under the sliding door?
Any recommendations on inexpensive stereo's?

Thank You

Attachments

• Photo Jul 07, 9 14 52 AM.jpg
    Photo Jul 07, 9 14 52 AM.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo Jul 07, 9 15 00 AM.jpg
    Photo Jul 07, 9 15 00 AM.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 35
I think your pic is of a typical car stereo, maybe AM/FM/CD, mounted within a cage?

If so... typically those are dismounted/mounted from the front, and typically there's a set of "keys" (tools) that slides into the sides -- in between actual stereo and the external cage bezel. The tools open the inside retaining clips so you can slide the unit out toward the front...

New car stereos all seem to be standard size, and they usually come with "keys" to be able to dismount the old and insert the new. Speaker connections are usually plug-and-play in the back of the stereo. Once you get the hang of it, replacement can be a 5-minute job.

I see our newest replacement is a Sony CDXGT700HD, for example, although they probably have several generations newer than that by now... so that's just an observation, not a recommendation. I see folks go on about the Fusion brand, a lot...

-Chris

Chris,
I really appreciate the information.
Now I have to find the keys--I hope we didn't throw them away not knowing.

Thank You
Greg

Greg,
On 2003 and newer Pilots just below your stereo in the square section they have a five inch speaker installed which gives access to the stereo and wiring. I know this does not help with de-install but you may look at installing a speaker in that location with the new system?
Jeff.

Jeff,
Great tip.
I wonder how much space in that area for a shelf or drawer.

Thank YOu.
Greg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom