Great Harbour Trawlers Build History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island Bound

Vessel Name
Semper Fi
Vessel Make
2005 Great Harbour N37
Now that Great Harbour Trawlers have their own forum, I thought it would be appropriate to re-post this. It was originally posted two years ago under the the "Great Harbour N37 Young America at our dock yesterday" thread. It has been updated and lightly edited for accuracy and clarification.

[FONT=&quot]There has been a lot of interest on this forum recently in Great Harbour Trawlers and I thought I might provide, with some help from the Great Harbour Trawler Association (GHTA) archives, a little bit of build history. To date there has been a total of 57 of these stout little ships built, spanning 1996 to 2016. These 57 boats can be broken down into two size groups and four different models.

The original concept vessel was a 37’ model designated a GH37. Christened Hemisphere Dancer, she was completed in 1996 and was given hull #10 in the trawler series. The first GH47, a ten foot longer version of the GH37, was built in 2000 and assigned hull #21.

In 2002, the first flush deck N37 was completed (hull #25) using the same hull mold as the GH37. This vessel was the first of three Great Harbour N37s to be christened Semper Fi and she was used as a demo boat for Mirage Manufacturing, the parent company of Great Harbor Trawlers. The last model to be introduced by Mirage was the N47.[FONT=&quot] It was[/FONT] similar in layout to the N37 but built on the GH47 hull, which added ten more feet of waterline and featured larger staterooms, a lower level dinette and an extra head. The first N47 model was launched in 2007 (hull #46) and is considered by many to be their favorite Great Harbour Trawler model. The below note was added by Eric Kraft (Kraftee) after my original post two years ago and I am including it here for the additional insight it provides:[/FONT]

To add just a little: Not only were the early GH37s and N37s built in the same hull mold - but all of the GH47s and N47s were built in this same mold! There was a pair of ten-foot inserts that were bolted into the mold to make it 47' long. This mold was eventually made into a permanent 47' mold and a new 37' mold was made off of the 12th N37 hull (#44), "Meermin".

[FONT=&quot]Of the 57 trawlers built, 55 of them are still plying the coastal and near shore island waterways as they were designed to do. The only total hull loss has been the last GH37 built (hull #53), which was tragically destroyed in an arson fire that resulted in the death of the owner. Last fall Esmeralda, the fifth N37 model built (hull #31) was severely damaged during Hurricane Matthew and sold as salvage. She is back in the Mirage yard in Gainesville, FL and it is reported that she will be rebuilt.

For those of you keeping score here is the build breakdown over the past twenty years:

20 GH37 Models
22 N37 Models
9 GH47 Models
6 N47 Models

Until recently, the last trawler built was Island Swan (hull #65), an N37 model completed in 2010. In late 2014, Mirage started building a new N37, which was splashed last spring and assigned hull #67 in the Great Harbour Trawler sequence. That disconnect in hull numbers came about because hull #66 has been reassigned to Spoonbill (previously hull #64), an N47 model Mirage charter boat built just prior to Island Swan in 2009. Spoonbill was sold in April of 2014 and certified and re-documented with the USCG as Almost Heaven, a 2014 model year new build. She was given a new Hull Identification Number (HIN) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]reflecting hull #66 and a March of 2014 certification or completion date. [/FONT]

Last edited:
There was one of these tied up in Bellingham a few months ago. Didn't get the name. They are as rare as hen's teeth here and in Alaska. How do they do in a beam sea, roll-wise? Seems like they have a ton of room inside for their size.

Hi Ken,

Most of the Great Harbour trawlers built have stayed on the eastern half of the country with a few exceptions that I know of. I am familiar with the GH37 you mentioned at Bellingham. It was sold a few years ago and then listed for sale again last year. There was an N37 in California up until 2014, it was sold to a couple from Tennessee and moved to a marina on the Tennessee River.

The last exception is the most notable and that is Ho'Okele (hull #28). She was the third N37 model built and was rigged to be a commercial fishing vessel in Hawaii. Launched in Green Cove Spring, FL in 2003, she traveled to Hawaii on her own bottom. Reportedly the smallest twin engine powerboat to ever do so. She was eventually sold and ended up being owned by the University of Hawaii as a research vessel. She is for sale again, but it would take a lot of work to bring her up to cruising standards.

As to your question about beam seas, Great Harbour trawler owners have successfully cruised the coastal waters of the US, the Bahamas and the Caribbean for the past twenty years. While nobody likes a full on beam sea, these boats are certainly capable of handling any sea conditions within reason. The crew will want to give up long before the boat will.

The 15'10" beam on all Great Harbour trawlers give them incredible living space. Our N37 has more interior room than a Grand Banks 42. We have a galley that is really a kitchen, a shower you can turn around in, a walk in engine room and a basement to store all of the miscellaneous stuff you collect as a full time liveaboard. They are truly unique vessels and it is always fun to give tours to admiring dock walkers.

GH37 vs. N37

This photo of Twelve Stones and Semper Fi was taken last week at the Clarksville, TN city marina. It gives a great comparison between the relative sizes of the GH37 and N37. The hull dimensions from the rubrail down are the same for both vessels, but there is quite a bit more interior space in the GH37 due to the structural height and the lack of walk around side decks, the salon extends across the width of the boat. Each version has its proponents and it all comes down to personal preference, or in some cases, availability at time of purchase.

The walk around side decks, fly bridge option, and lower windage profile of Semper Fi were all important factors when my wife and I were looking at Great Harbor trawlers. There is plenty of interior room for a couple aboard an N37, but if you are looking for more space, the GH37 is the way to go. The intent of this post is informational only, the last thing I want to do is start a my boat is better than your boat thread. :)

Attachments

• DSC05607.jpg
    DSC05607.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Ken,
The Great Harbour handle beam seas a bit different than many boats that tend to roll. It has been explained to me that the handling is because of the hard chines . We have found in a beam sea like our crossing from Apalachicola to Clearwater Florida, the boat will roll over a bit but not roll fully back, instead it tends to come back to level and then settle. In our salon, we have two lamps sitting on the end tables, and they ride there fine except in very short beam seas.

It is my understanding that of the nine GH47s built, 4 have the $30K Flybridge option.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 233
I stand corrected (thanks Henry) their are 6 GH47s with the Flybridge option.

Last edited:

Until recently, the last trawler built was Island Swan (hull #65), an N37 model completed in 2010. In late 2014, Mirage started building a new N37, which was splashed last spring and assigned hull #67 in the Great Harbour Trawler sequence. That disconnect in hull numbers came about because hull #66 has been reassigned to Spoonbill (previously hull #64), an N47 model Mirage charter boat built just prior to Island Swan in 2009. Spoonbill was sold in April of 2014 and certified and re-documented with the USCG as Almost Heaven, a 2014 model year new build. She was given a new Hull Identification Number (HIN) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]reflecting hull #66 and a March of 2014 certification or completion date. [/FONT]

Are you saying a boat built in 2009 was then renumbered and given a 2014 build date? Were the engines and equipment all replaced or is it now a 2014 boat with 2009 engines and electronics?

You say the boat was a charter boat initially. Was it ever chartered? I'm confused by the entire recertification you describe.

I stand corrected (thanks Henry) their are 6 GH47s with the Flybridge option.

Hi Norm,

My research confirms what Henry wrote. In the GH47 series, Hull numbers 1, 3 and 8 were built without the fly bridge. Henry's boat, Hull #1, was built in 2000 after the first 11 GH37s were splashed. At that time the fly bridge was not an option. The first fly bridge installed by Mirage on a Great Harbour Trawler was in 2003. That vessel was Hull #4 in the N37 series. After that, the fly bridge option was offered on all subsequent builds except for the GH37s.

In 2004, the second GH47 was completed and coincidentally was also the second Great Harbour Trawler to be outfitted with a fly bridge. It became a very popular option and the majority of the boats built after that came with a fly bridge.

Are you saying a boat built in 2009 was then renumbered and given a 2014 build date? Were the engines and equipment all replaced or is it now a 2014 boat with 2009 engines and electronics?

You say the boat was a charter boat initially. Was it ever chartered? I'm confused by the entire recertification you describe.

Spoonbill was completed in 2009 and assigned HIN# MGYDH064J809. The first Great Harbour Trawler built was given Hull #10, so Spoonbill's 064 designation indicates that she was the 55th Great Harbour Trawler built. Mirage signed the Builder's Certification and First Transfer of Title (USCG Form 1261) for Spoonbill on February 04, 2009 and applied for USCG Documentation in the Passenger (Uninspected Category). An original issuance Documentation# 1218535 was granted on April 24, 2009. The documentation was last renewed in 2014 and Spoonbill has since been moved to the Coast Guard's historical documentation database with Mirage Manufacturing still listed as the owner.

Spoonbill was specifically designed from the beginning for charter service and was the only N47 constructed with a Captain's cabin under the salon. Here is a link to some of her 2011/2012 charter adventures in the Bahamas:

https://greatharbour2012.blogspot.com/

Mirage sold Spoonbill, as is with her original furnishings and equipment, in April 2014. A new Builder's Certification and First Transfer of Title form, certifying Spoonbill as a 2014 new construction vessel, was prepared for the sale and signed by Mirage on April 24, 2014. The Vessel Data section of this form shows MGYDH066C414 as the new HIN# and Almost Heaven as the vessel name. The buyers applied for Coast Guard Documentation under the Recreational category and were issued Documentation# 1253389, which is current, having been renewed on June 1, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoonbill was completed in 2009 and assigned HIN# MGYDH064J809. The first Great Harbour Trawler built was given Hull #10, so Spoonbill's 064 designation indicates that she was the 54th Great Harbour Trawler built. Mirage signed the Builder's Certification and First Transfer of Title (USCG Form 1261) for Spoonbill on February 04, 2009 and applied for USCG Documentation in the Passenger (Uninspected Category). An original issuance Documentation# 1218535 was granted on April 24, 2009. The documentation was last renewed in 2014 and Spoonbill has since been moved to the Coast Guard's historical documentation database with Mirage Manufacturing still listed as the owner.

Spoonbill was specifically designed from the beginning for charter service and was the only N47 constructed with a Captain's cabin under the salon. Here is a link to some of her 2011/2012 charter adventures in the Bahamas:

https://greatharbour2012.blogspot.com/

Mirage sold Spoonbill, as is with her original furnishings and equipment, in April 2014. A new Builder's Certification and First Transfer of Title form, certifying Spoonbill as a 2014 new construction vessel, was prepared for the sale and signed by Mirage on April 24, 2014. The Vessel Data section of this form shows MGYDH066C414 as the new HIN# and Almost Heaven as the vessel name. The buyers applied for Coast Guard Documentation under the Recreational category and were issued Documentation# 1253389, which is current, having been renewed on June 9. 2016.

So simply a 2009 boat which was used, was sold as a new boat and as a 2014 new construction. That's wrong in every way. I've never heard of a builder doing that and am disgusted by it. Thanks for making that information public. I admit to negative opinions about the builder before but nothing near what I do after that revelation. I don't care how good the boats they build are.

The worst I'd seen before was Trinity Yachts selling boats with engines that were two and three years old, although new engines. I've known other builders to use engines from one year previous and occasional some i'm sure have gone two years. Never used for new though or five years old for current.

My opinion is based strictly on the information presented in this thread which I haven't verified, but have seen the detail offered and believe those posting to have the facts.

Last edited:
So simply a 2009 boat which was used, was sold as a new boat and as a 2014 new construction. That's wrong in every way. I've never heard of a builder doing that and am disgusted by it. Thanks for making that information public. I admit to negative opinions about the builder before but nothing near what I do after that revelation. I don't care how good the boats they build are.

The worst I'd seen before was Trinity Yachts selling boats with engines that were two and three years old, although new engines. I've known other builders to use engines from one year previous and occasional some i'm sure have gone two years. Never used for new though or five years old for current.

My opinion is based strictly on the information presented in this thread which I haven't verified, but have seen the detail offered and believe those posting to have the facts.

:thumb:
Sounds (reads) terrible. But I'd like to hear/read the builders side of the story as well.

:thumb:
Sounds (reads) terrible. But I'd like to hear/read the builders side of the story as well.

I would also like to know if he disputes the facts as presented. If he acknowledges them as true, then I don't care to hear any why's or excuses. The person posting the scenario has been a supporter of GH and certainly no axe to grind. A couple of other of his supporters and friends are here and I'm waiting to see if they have responses or contradictions.

But then I'd like to hear his latest excuse for missing another date on the TT35.

Great Harbour Trawlers Build History (Update #1)

With the news last week that Mirage had received an order to build a new N37 I thought it would be an appropriate time to update my original post in this thread. When finished, hull #68 will be the 58th full displacement Great Harbour Trawler built. As the 23rd N37 constructed, she will provide further validation of the N37 as the most popular model.

Esmeralda, was rebuilt and offered for sale last summer under her new name Cabana. The damage to the STBD side of the hull and the resulting interior flooding was extensive as the attached photos will attest. The dock she was tied to broke away and you can see that her dock lines remained attached to the dock when found. She is still for sale and a quick Google search similar to "Great Harbour N37 Cabana" will give you hits from websites like cheapboats4sale.us, boats-from-usa.com, usedcarnation.com and eBay. I have found the asking price varying from $239K to $289K.

Attachments

• Esmeralda Aground.jpg
    Esmeralda Aground.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Esmeralda Still Tied to the Dock.jpg
    Esmeralda Still Tied to the Dock.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Esmeralda Bow Hole.jpg
    Esmeralda Bow Hole.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Esmeralda STBD Deck Damage.jpg
    Esmeralda STBD Deck Damage.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 242
  • Esmeralda STBD Side Damage.jpg
    Esmeralda STBD Side Damage.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Esmeralda Galley Aft Damage.jpg
    Esmeralda Galley Aft Damage.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 222
  • Esmeralda Flooded Engine Room.jpg
    Esmeralda Flooded Engine Room.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Esmeralda Repairs.jpg
    Esmeralda Repairs.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 280
I`m sure this came up on TF before, and it was made clear the factory had nothing to do with the repairs.

I used to see Esmarelda regularly at her dock in Conch House Marina, St Augustine, Fl. She looked to be well maintained and in great shape before the Hurricane. Its disturbing to see her and the other boat with there dock up on what looks like Snake Island.

I thought Mirage was doing the repairs/restoration. Who actually did them? The glass work repair is the easy part,it everything else thats the devil.

The asking price of 2008 N37 Young America has been reduced to $325K on YW and as far as I know, she has had no hurricane damage. So, $289K is being asked for the salvage repaired 2004 N37 Esmeralda/Cabana? Good luck on that. But certainly, there will be a cheap sucker out there who will buy it. And you have to give the guy(s) who did the repair work credit because the pics of Cabana look real good.

The Esmeralda pics of the Hurricane Matthew damage shows significantly more of the damage than observed in previous posted pics. The engine room looks particularly scary.

I`m sure this came up on TF before, and it was made clear the factory had nothing to do with the repairs.

Mirage has gone on record saying that they were not involved in the rebuild of Esmeralda. That being said, they did provide some assistance with yard space and the use of their facilities. The below photo shows Esmeralda inside Mirage's construction shed in what appears to be a very early stage of the project.

Attachments

• Esmarlda in the straps in shed.jpg
    Esmarlda in the straps in shed.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 201
The asking price of 2008 N37 Young America has been reduced to $325K on YW and as far as I know, she has had no hurricane damage. So, $289K is being asked for the salvage repaired 2004 N37 Esmeralda/Cabana? Good luck on that. But certainly, there will be a cheap sucker out there who will buy it. And you have to give the guy(s) who did the repair work credit because the pics of Cabana look real good.

Morning Don,

Young America has never had any storm damage. I agree that the photos of Cabana do show what appears to be a very nicely finished boat. It would sure be interesting to see her up close.

If not already done, all of the electrical wiring on Cabana - AC, DC, as well as engine harnesses, will need to be replaced, stem to stern. If not now, at some time soon as corrosion wicks its way up the insulation, fueled by moisture, voltage and current......

Regardless of anything else, Cabana is a salvaged boat and should be priced and valued accordingly and it should be fully disclosed by anyone selling it now or ever in the future.

The latest attempt to sell Cabana, formerly Esmeralda, involves repricing at $259K, moving her to Ft Lauderdale and listing with another broker. There is now a listing on Yachtworld that again fails to mention she is a salvage. The broker states "all info is according to seller" but allegedly, more info and pics coming soon. For good measure a custom matching 16' skiff with cover and trailer is included. Wonder if that is likewise a salvage?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...0052/?refSource=standard listing#.W8hzL_YpARA

Cabana Photos

The latest attempt to sell Cabana, formerly Esmeralda, involves repricing at $259K, moving her to Ft Lauderdale and listing with another broker. There is now a listing on Yachtworld that again fails to mention she is a salvage. The broker states "all info is according to seller" but allegedly, more info and pics coming soon. For good measure a custom matching 16' skiff with cover and trailer is included. Wonder if that is likewise a salvage?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/mirage-great-harbour-n-37-trawler-passagemaker-3470052/?refSource=standard%20listing#.W8hzL_YpARA

We saw Cabana near Sebastian, FL on our way to Key West from New Bern, NC in mid-September. We hailed them on Channel 16 with no response. They had manually dropped their anchor on a sandbar that appears to be a rather popular and fun place to hang out. She looks good, but she will always be a salvage boat and there is no way to hide that information from a buyer who does even a modicum of due diligence.

Attachments

• DSC07822.jpg
    DSC07822.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC07897.jpg
    DSC07897.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC07898.jpg
    DSC07898.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
We saw Cabana near Sebastian, FL on our way to Key West from New Bern, NC in mid-September. We hailed them on Channel 16 with no response. They had manually dropped their anchor on a sandbar that appears to be a rather popular and fun place to hang out. She looks good, but she will always be a salvage boat and there is no way to hide that information from a buyer who does even a modicum of due diligence.

Sounds like you were trying to interfere with a photo shoot...haha.

Glad to hear you made it out of New Bern before Florence! Did you luck out or run it out intentionally? We were sweating it in North FL and even put the shudders down on the condo.

Sounds like you were trying to interfere with a photo shoot...haha.

Glad to hear you made it out of New Bern before Florence! Did you luck out or run it out intentionally? We were sweating it in North FL and even put the shudders down on the condo.

Hi Don,

It was more luck than intentions. I have sent you an e-mail with more details, but we left New Bern on the afternoon of September 4th as originally planned. Ninety-seven hours later we were in Saint Simons, GA, well south of the eventual path of Florence.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for posting the pictures. I went to a showing of Cabanas, the seller failed to show up. I spoke to him on the phone, and his attitude was that the submerged engines were no big deal, as the wiring harness had been replaced and Yanmar had checked them out. He replaced no other wiring in the boat. Then he told me it was $100,000 underpriced. He would not have mentioned the hurricane damage had I not known, so thank you very much

Is Cabana the N37 that Pop yachts has listed for around $239,000?

The 23rd N37 in the series is currently under construction at the Mirage facility in Gainesville, FL. When finished, it will be the 58th full displacement Great Harbour Trawler launched. With the exception of the GH37 destroyed in an arson fire in 2012, there are 56 Great Harbour Trawlers on the water, including Cabana (formerly Esmeralda). With the recent sale of the N37 Young America, I am unaware of any current N37 sales listing except for Cabana.

The first N37 was built in 2002 and quickly became the most popular model in the Great Harbour Trawler lineup, with more than half the remaining trawlers built since then being N37s. Because of their popularity, N37s are typically not on the market very long when offered for sale. Cabana has been listed for sale under various yacht brokers and internet sales sites (e-Bay, Craigslist, etc.) for well over a year within a wide pricing band. None of the ads that I have read notes that Cabana was a hurricane damaged boat.

The 23rd N37 in the series is currently under construction at the Mirage facility in Gainesville, FL. When finished, it will be the 58th full displacement Great Harbour Trawler launched. With the exception of the GH37 destroyed in an arson fire in 2012, there are 56 Great Harbour Trawlers on the water, including Cabana (formerly Esmeralda). With the recent sale of the N37 Young America, I am unaware of any current N37 sales listing except for Cabana.

The first N37 was built in 2002 and quickly became the most popular model in the Great Harbour Trawler lineup, with more than half the remaining trawlers built since then being N37s. Because of their popularity, N37s are typically not on the market very long when offered for sale. Cabana has been listed for sale under various yacht brokers and internet sales sites (e-Bay, Craigslist, etc.) for well over a year within a wide pricing band. None of the ads that I have read notes that Cabana was a hurricane damaged boat.
Just noticed this morning that Jack of Hearts is for sale on YW Dighton ,MA.229k

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom