Rudder problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
We purchased our new to us boat three years ago. At the time of the survey it was noticed that the rudder stuffing box was leaking water. No problem we thought. When got the boat to our marina we had it hauled at the yard close to us to get it repacked. At first it seemed okay but over time it started to leak again. We waited to the winter to have it stored and to address the leak. The yard told us that it looked like the stuffing box needed to be rebuilt. We had it done and hoped that was it. Recently took the boat out only to discover it still leaked. Doesn't leak when sitting in the slip, just under way. Called the yard up and talked to them about it. They tell me they had some older boats with the same problem, turns out the rudder post was pitted so bad the packing didn't work. Never heard of this but who knows. Unfortunately the yard we always used is closing down ( Tidewater in Baltimore ) I'm going to try tighening up the stuffing box a little more to see if that helps. Any input at this point would be welcomed.

Put the packing back in there with axle grease (with fiber) and tighten it back down. The grease will lubricate the shaft and help seal the rough shaft to the packing. The fiber will keep the grease where it is put and cut down on it washing out of the packing. It won't be a clean or fun job but it will work until you decide to have the shaft repaired.

There are lots of shaft shops that can put a coat of bronze on the rough spots and turn it back round and smooth so you don't have to replace the shaft just because of crevice corrosion and pitting.

I had a hatteras that did the same thing. I directed the water to the center bilge and that took care of it. It was a rudder post problem.

gonesailing13, What was the outcome, did you repack with fiber to seal the pitting? I have a similar situation that needs attention before winter rebuild.

Still trying to find a yard to fix it. I can live with the problem until the end of the season

Going to check out Anchor Bay East. People told me they were good and have fixed this problem on other boats

Back
Top Bottom