Defever v Gran Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
Been doing online research before I start traveling around Fl looking at several boats with about a 10-200K budget.

I keep being drawn to the Defever 44 and the GB 42

Maybe Monk or O Alexander, don't see that many

What other manufactures might I include in the search:confused:

Any pros cons on either?

Been doing online research before I start traveling around Fl looking at several boats with about a 10-200K budget.

I keep being drawn to the Defever 44 and the GB 42

Maybe Monk or O Alexander, don't see that many

What other manufactures might I include in the search:confused:

Any pros cons on either?

You mean a 100-200K budget, right?

If you can stretch to a bit more I personally know this vessel, and how well it was maintained.

You may want to have a look at it.

http://www.curtisstokes.net/trawler-for-sale-defever-49-escape.html

Last edited:
I like the Defevers over the Grand Banks since the GBs almost always have built in furniture that is like sitting in a church pew. For us the seating is very uncomfortable and not something we can relax in for several hours. For us built in furniture is a deal breaker. However I think the Defever in the Curtis Stokes listing is over priced. I do like the 49 PRHs but this one is priced too high.

I like the Defevers over the Grand Banks since the GBs almost always have built in furniture that is like sitting in a church pew. For us the seating is very uncomfortable and not something we can relax in for several hours. For us built in furniture is a deal breaker. However I think the Defever in the Curtis Stokes listing is over priced. I do like the 49 PRHs but this one is priced too high.

Dave, after I saw your comment I searched YachtWorld for the 49 RPH, and put in 1984 to 1989 and this is the only one on there - so, not knowing these boats more broadly than this one, wondering if you could expound on your assessment?

I have no skin in the game, just that I have buddy boated with this boat in the Exumas and up the Eastern Seaboard, so know it.

Don’t limit your search to a Defever RPH. The 49 cockpit is a great boat. Both 44 and 49 have standing engine rooms, which clinches the deal for me. It will be tough to find a 49 cpmy within your budget, but should be lots of 44s.

Paul

Dave, after I saw your comment I searched YachtWorld for the 49 RPH, and put in 1984 to 1989 and this is the only one on there - so, not knowing these boats more broadly than this one, wondering if you could expound on your assessment?

I have no skin in the game, just that I have buddy boated with this boat in the Exumas and up the Eastern Seaboard, so know it.

I know it is currently the only 49 RPH for sale. However it is a 1986 and I think that $249K is overpriced. There are 53 POCs that are lower priced. The 49 has stabilizers and a watermaker but thoses are the only really expensive “options” on the boat. It does have a nice dinghy. It is a nice looking boat but it is 33 years old.

You mean a 100-200K budget, right?

If you can stretch to a bit more I personally know this vessel, and how well it was maintained.

I meant 150-200K:rolleyes:

49' is more boat than we want to deal with, besides the +50K (even if sold for less)

-----------

The DeFever 49 CPMY aka "44+5" is essentially a 44 with a cockpit. Different hull and layout form the 49 RPH. My previous was a GB 36 classic. better build & Gelcoat but wetter than the DF, plus the hard chine gives a snap roll in a beam sea which gets old over 6 hrs. Different strokes as they say, but we prefer built in furniture - doesn't move in a sea. We didn't want the size and expense of a 49 but needed stabilizers and a decent sized engine room - harder to find in the smaller boats. In your price range, you are looking at older boats all with a lot of grief potential and some gems too. Spend a lot of time crawling around on your best choices, then hire and follow on board the best marine surveyor you can, even if you have to fly one in at sea trial.

I’ll just add that buying a newer boat is no guarantee of quality, reliability or value. Some older, well-kept boats command higher prices because they have good bones, have been brought up to date and were well maintained.

Put us in the camp of few to no built-ins, as well. We have both and a couple of bungees keep our movable furniture in one place in a seaway . . . and they’re pieces we can actually sit on comfortably vs the built-in settee.

Suggest you go aboard — and where possible charter — boats you’re interested in. It will clarify things for you.

Pricing is very difficult on boats(any asset) where these is a small volume of transactions for reference. Setting the asking price on a DeFever 49 RPH is tough, as very few come on the market. Having just been through this on buying a vintage Hatteras motoryacht, I suggest you make an offer you think reasonable on a vessel you like and go from there. All they can say is no.

IMHO, you cannot go wrong in an Art DeFever designed boat. Great cruising and living designs and a superb owners group.

Last edited:
I have a 1985/86 42 GB Motor Yacht listed at $189,000 with twin Cat 320 Hpr and 15 KW Northern Lights Gen set you may look at in Sarasota Florida when you come thru . This is my boat . Capt Jerry

Okay... I confess. I am a multiple DeFever owner having bought my first DeFever over 10 years ago. We moved to our second DeFever 4 years ago and we love her just as much as our first DeFever.

Why a Defever???

When we first started our journey for a trawler style live-aboard, we searched Yacht World daily and sometimes twice a day. I knew I wanted a boat that would "take care of me when I make stupid decisions"! In other words, I wanted a boat that was solid, dependable and reliable.

We joined the DeFever organization and attended a DeFever Rendezvous which is a great place to view different styles and meet some wonderful people. Curtis Stokes is a huge supporter of the DeFever get togethers and will usually be in attendance. Give him a call.

The knowledge base of those on the DeFever forum is amazing. Ron O., Hank H. and others contribute often and if I could ever remember the things they have forgotten about DeFevers and boating in general, I would be grateful.

Now about the specifics of a DeFever. They are a solidly built boat with so many creature comforts. We do have the built in furniture in our salon and it hasn't been an issue.

According to my wife, her galley is perfect!! She has everything she needs within a few steps including a full sized refrigerator.

I have a great "man cave" (engine room) with room to work and stand up room "if" you are under 6'2"! There is plenty of room for spare parts too!

I have had the privilege of meeting the DeFever factory owner (Wilson Lin) and have even toured the factory in Shanghai.

We are the 3rd owners of a 1986 model that has been expertly cared for. So, buying an older boat isn't an issue IF she has been maintained properly.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to drop an email or give us a call.

Good luck!!

Rusty and Kris Bliss
M/V Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS

Last edited:
GB is overpriced and maintenance intensive with all the woodwork. Defever also commands a premium but without the wood. I like the Kady Krogan 42. With it's full displacement hull the seakeeping attributes are second to none. Full disclosure. I have a Mainship 43 aft cabin. If I were shopping that is what I would buy. Beautiful teak interior, low maintenance exterior, and the ability to cruise at 16+ kts. if needed. ( I once had to out run a waterspout in the Keys ). I like the idea of twin engine redundancy but generally cruise at 8 kts on one engine to save fuel. The fully enclosed upper helm seating area is best in class. Lastly, for the same money you can buy one that is 10 years newer than the brands above.

Why listen to Curtis stokes. Honestly? I have a GB 36. Awesome boat. That’s it.

Why listen to Curtis stokes. Honestly? I have a GB 36. Awesome boat. That’s it.

Mr. Young,

I am sure you have an awesome Grand Banks and it will one day make someone a wonderful boat but I am confused about your comment towards Curtis Stokes.

Mr. Stokes can provide expert advice and probably some historical data regarding a particular boat in his inventory. If I was in the market for a boat, I would certainly access all available forms of information.

Respectfully,

Rusty

Follow up, found a super nice Ben Swift 42

My offer was accepted today

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom