Refrigerator Question......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Today I was looking at a Mainship 37 and a Southern Star 40. Both had refrigerators that had that built-in look. It appeared that the refrige was set into a formica type cabinet and there was some black metal molding around it.

How difficult would it be to replace if one had to?

Does the metal trim simply come off and the frige slides out or is the trim part of the frige?

If the trim is part of the frige, does that mean you must buy the identical frige to fit in there or is there another mounting system?

They usually just slide in and out, but the problem is the manufactures change their fridge*dimmensions every so often.* I recently changed mine out and had to have a cabinet maker raise my*built-in cabinetry 5 inches.**Norcold doesn't make a 42" tall fridge any longer.* Go figure.* The only thing that was close was a Nova Kool*fridge out of Vancouver, BC.*

Larry B

While the fridge is out of the cabinet, is a good time to add one or two computer fans (12v) to come on with th e fridge. They do a lot of cooling for a very low electrical load.

Carl:

Your fridge will be on the 12v system, so you tap into the fridge's wiring after the thermostat, so the fans only come on when the fridge compressor is running. If you still have an AC/DC fridge (which, if you have been paying attention you will know you shouldn't) there is still the 12v only side, just might be harder to find. So no adapter needed.

Carl
Right, a totally different can of worms. I agree, a live aboard will need AC. My bias is because I like to anchor out a lot.

Old Stone wrote:*At this point, not likely to even have dual voltage in fact. Just my opinion, but both sides of the fence have valid arguments.
* * * * * I tend to agree with the above statement and have a 110V refer on my boat. It's been workng great for the past five years but as was pointed out in a previous thread, I don't keep anything in it.*
biggrin.gif

Old Stone wrote:
Does the beer disappear THAT fast ??????
*I'll bet Walt is a Scotch neat drinker.

Carey wrote: I'll bet Walt is a Scotch neat drinker.
******* You are absolutely correct but I do keep a bottle of Jack Daniels on hand for the occaisional boat bum that comes in from the cold. (
biggrin.gif
to you know who.)

SeaHorse II wrote:Carey wrote: I'll bet Walt is a Scotch neat drinker.
******* You are absolutely correct but I do keep a bottle of Jack Daniels on hand for the occaisional boat bum that comes in from the cold. (
biggrin.gif
to you know who.)

*Ouch. That had to hurt.*
no.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:Carey wrote: I'll bet Walt is a Scotch neat drinker.
biggrin.gif
to you know who.)

no.gif

"Just my opinion, but both sides of the fence have valid arguments."

There is little argument IF the boat is cruised.

For the dock queen ,Home Cheapo and a noisemaker a few nights a year does work great, the owner could never amortize the cost of a good cruising reefer setup.

For a cruising boat that does not normally operate a noisemaker 24/7 there is little to love in an insanely inefficient setup, regardless of its initial coat , or tiny replacement cost..

Carey wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Carey wrote: I'll bet Walt is a Scotch neat drinker.
biggrin.gif
to you know who.)

no.gif

*Must be Flywright. Poor boy.

We've got a 40 year old 12/120 fridge on Big Duck. We carried a cooler and stocked it with ice if we had anything we wanted to keep reliably refrigerated...until now. I bought a small chest freezer and a remote bulb line thermostat and now use the freezer as a cooler/refrigerator. It takes up less floor space than the cooler.

The freezer will go to -40°. For cruises of 5 days or so, we freeze 6 to 8 gallon jugs of water in the bottom of the freezer on shore power and use the chest unpowered underway as a cooler, drinking the ice water as it becomes available. I'm thinking that in the summer we may need to run the generator every now and then to bring the temp down, but we regularly run the air conditioner so generator time isn't a problem. The remote bulb thermostat can be programed to turn on a 12vdc light or alarm when the freezer/fridge temp gets to 40° (or any temp for that matter) so we'll know when to start the generator. Our old, 'Nearcold', will now be relegated to being a bread box.

"Insanely inefficient? Not if you think right about how to manage it"

What makes the inefficiency is the normal role in a house, with unlimited energy , cheap.

The interior volume is maxinised by using very thin insulation ,

to restore any insulation properties of this thin stuff it must be heated ,

with resistance heat to drive the moisture out.

Running heat into the insulation is not what most battery systems are sized to do.

Years ago, while cruising the Sea of Cortez with my brother on his 42' Californian, I noticed that he had a "brown" end table with a lamp on it in the salon. It turned out to be a cheap, small freezer from Sears that doubled as a frig/freezer and end table. He spray painted it brown so as to make it less noticable and fit in with his teak interior. Worked like a charm and in later years when it quit, it was "over the side" and back to sears. I bought one recently for my garage and it cost $222.00.

dwhatty wrote:Carey wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Carey wrote:I'll bet Walt is a Scotch neat drinker.
biggrin.gif
to you know who.)

no.gif

*Must be Flywright. Poor boy.

*I'm impressed Dwhatty...you can sure take a punch without wincing.*

I just show up late notice, empty-handed, one night stand.* It's the way I roll.

Keeping with the thread, here's a nice, clean*fridge.

img_77854_2_9ac583c9d93c48c49b6b54adced9454e.jpg

But here is a nicer, more inviting fridge.

Old Stone wrote:
That fridge on the boat or the Lear Jet?
It's on Walt's boat. Flywright found it not to pass survey and that it needed improvement. Walt's statement that he keeps one bottle of JD on hand was not adequate.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 12:02:21 PM

dwhatty wrote:
But here is a nicer, more inviting fridge.

*I've got to admit....I like it!! (You have a lot of time on your hands until the thaw comes, huh David?)
no.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 02:07:57 PM

Attachments

• screen shot 2012-03-03 at 12.06.06 pm.jpg
    screen shot 2012-03-03 at 12.06.06 pm.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 98
Really? I don't see it that way To me what they are doing is like posting mail from prison. You can spin it any way you like to the people you're writing to but you're still in prison.

OK, be jealous.

Last weekend:

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 07:00:16 PM

Attachments

• up lazy river.jpg
    up lazy river.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 92
Ha!* Marin, you're a very funny guy.* But that's no way to speak of your birthplace and the previous home to your boat!* Are you having a bad day?

I guess us jailbirds will just have to suffer through life knowing this is all we'll have to look forward to.

Mark, what are you doing out in the yard?* We better get back in our cells!!*

[video=[MEDIA=youtube]N5Ts4M3irWM[/MEDIA]]

Old Stone wrote:
You know, those folks who post temperatures from Florida or California to the rest of us during the winter months are really dicks, you know that, right?
*Sorry, Carl, It won't happen again. From now on I'll PM my weather reports by PM.
no.gif
(BTW, Is it OK to use an emoticon or two?)

markpierce wrote:
OK, be jealous.

Last weekend:

*Hmmmm--- I notice your two foredeck folks are wrapped up like Inuits.* I'll buy the sunny skies bit not the "tropical temperature" bit.

FlyWright wrote:
Ha!* Marin, you're a very funny guy.* But that's no way to speak of your birthplace and the previous home to your boat!* Are you having a bad day?
*No, I'm having a great day.* Went up to the boat today, looked at all the islands and great cruising grounds, plotted some routes up the north end of Vancouver Island, Blackfish Sound, and Knight inlet for our upcoming halibut trip, had a nice dinner of fresh clams and mussels, looked at the sunset illuminating Mt. Baker, stuff like that.

Our boat and I are very lucky.* We escaped from prison and have never looked back.

The first two photos are of where our boat lived before we liberated it.* The three shots following them are where it lives now.

Attachments

• delta 2.jpg
    delta 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 92
  • delta 4.jpg
    delta 4.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 104
  • underway 2 copy.jpg
    underway 2 copy.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 76
  • running home.jpg
    running home.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 106
  • sucia1.jpg
    sucia1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 96
You're in a beautiful location Marin. Not sure I could cope with the cold but the pristine environment could very well be worth it.

I'd tell you what the seasonal average temperatures are around here but then you might want to come boat here and we don't want that.

Suffice it to say the temperatures along the PNW, BC, and SE Alaska coasts aren't exactly the same as, say, the Alaskan interior.* But we encourage people to think that they are.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 5th of March 2012 02:09:48 AM

Marin wrote:
I'd tell you what the seasonal average temperatures are around here but then you might want to come boat here and we don't want that.
I'd tell you what the seasonal average temperatures are around here but then you might NEVER want to come boat here. Except maybe for July and August. :cry: :cry:

(Sent from my cabin fever Snow Bunker)

download.spark

download.spark

Back
Top Bottom