Rudder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcan

I'm not sure I'm in the right place the guy was telling me they have bolt on Rutter's make your rudder bigger for maneuvering I was wondering where you would get those how I would determine the size I have a 34 foot chb trawler any help would be greatly appreciated thank you very much

Rcan,
Don’t need products for that.
Just have a fab shop weld on 2” or whatever you need.
Ideally you’d add to both LE and TE.
I think a member w a CHB did this or something similar not long ago. Do a search and see what turns up.

Is there more than one hole in the rudder horn? If so you can attach to the hole closest to the shaft to get a wider and faster rudder swing. I did that on my Willard and have no rudder authority problems at all now. Takes a bit more physical effort at the helm though.

You need to balance the rudder. If you add too much to the tail it can be too hard to turn and may overpower an autopilot. You also add to the rudder in front of the rudder post in the same ratio as the original rudder.

You need to balance the rudder. If you add too much to the tail it can be too hard to turn and may overpower an autopilot. You also add to the rudder in front of the rudder post in the same ratio as the original rudder.
For most boats 25 to 28% of what's behind the post should be what's in front of the post.

The first and easiest thing to do to improve low speed maneuvering is to make sure you can get near 45 degrees of turn.

Ted

IF the rudder is simple flat plate a simple addition is to boly 11/2 anfle SS to the trailing edge.

It should form a T at the aft edge of the rudder.

It does help with low docking speed control,and allows tighter slow speed turning.

Quick , cheap and found on many lobster boats.

lookup articulating rudders

and fish tail rudders

Back
Top Bottom