Thread: Beaching
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Phuket
Veteran Member

Beaching

Yesterday I beached my boat for the first time.* It went very well, flat calm weather helped. Somehow in the rush to launch the boat I had put the wrong rotation prop on it.* So had to change the prop, to make it harder the machine shop did not record the taper they used* on the shaft so need a couple of days to get the new prop ready.

So I waited until nine at night when the boat flaoted again and used two long anchors then my runabout to pull and then tow it back out to the mooring.* Will do it again on Saturday to fit the new prop, by then I will have to wait till midnight or so for the boat to float, but at least I will have a prop to use this time when I take it back to the mooring.

Also took the opportunity to rip out the wheelhouse floor while waiting for the tide to go down.* The local boats here have little shelves in the wheelhouse where people can sleep but not even sit up straight - I guess the theory is when you are not working you are lying down.* There is one spot next to the wheel where you can sit up and drive.

With my smaller engine, wet exhaust and no more deck winches driven off a truck differential I can lower the wheelhouse floor a lot and still have good room to work on the engine.* Once that is done I will raise the roof a little and it will be full standing headroom even for me at a little over 6'.

Leon.

-- Edited by Phuket at 20:02, 2009-02-25
Attached Thumbnails
beaching.jpg  
Phuket is offline   Reply With Quote