Has anyone used the Dingy Davits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
After trying a number of ways to stow our dingy, none of which we liked very much, we're very interested in these stow-away davits from Dingy Davits in Canada.

Dinghy Davits for your yacht

What I like:

1. The dingy lays flat and low below the transom. Our previous Weaver Davits required swinging up the dingy 90 degrees on the swim platform which created a big dingy shaped "scoop" to catch our exhaust and obscure the boat name.

2. They mount and stow under the swim platform. Nothing to stub or catch a tow on (I did this constantly with our previously installed Weaver Davits).

3. Launch and retrieval seems easy for our light, 150# hard shell dinghy (although their promotional video shows a dude trying to wrestle a heavy jet ski on there which looks like a ton of work).

4. Cost. They are $1600 and I can DIY the installation.

I haven't seen them in person before so I wondered if anyone here has them and wouldn't mind commenting on how they worked out.

Thank in advance.

Attachments

• assemblypic.jpg
    assemblypic.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 52
the guy in the demo was having issues getting it to work and using fair amount muscle.

reaching in the water then crawl under to get lock pin in (and that was on a narrow jet ski not wide dink.

Not ready for prime time

No experience with them. With a lightweight dinghy I think they would work fine.

However, I noticed that when he retrieved the davits from the deployed position, he had to reach under water to grab the davit and swing it up. Today that wouldn’t be bad. The weather is warm and I’m in short sleeves. However, what about the other 10 months of the year when we are wearing long sleeves, sweaters, and jackets. I’m not sure I want to bury my forearm in the cold Puget Sound water to retrieve my davits.

I had a similar design set on our 40' searay.. worked ok with a 200lb inflatable but still could be tricky to get it up evenly. That PWC and the boat would get the crap beat out of them both on anything but smooth conditions. Takes too long for the guy to get it up on the platform. Notice he does it in dead flat conditions in the video.
HOLLYWOOD

600 boats in our YC marinas and not one has those. I have never seen one on a boat in BC waters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom