Down East Style boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys all know the difference in the 2 major keel designs?
Built down and solid....
Just trivia until you try certain things in the bilge.

Hi Bob, I am so glad to see a "little brother" here! We ain't trawlers, but we are BIG little boats! I am amazed at the number of systems technology has enabled builders to pack in smaller vessels. That is a great boat you have there, and even better, you are USING it to the max!

Coming from a "trawler" to a ?????, I struggled to define my new-to-me boat to folks, and because the boat has an aft cockpit (albeit small), a hardtop over the helm area and open aft, and most importantly, accommodation only DOWN forward, I elected to call in a downeast STYLE (note, not downeaster) rather than a fast cruiser, which it is not either. Single screw may have entered into the decision, but it is more the general look and layout which determined me on the descriptive term. I am not going to Maine and could give a rat's patootie what Mainers might think about my elective. Heck, I ran a GB "trawler" all those years and called it that, knowing full well there are SOOO many ways it was NOT one. These are just approximation terms we use.

Ok last post on our little cruiser ...

rgano, yup, not a trawler, but a heck of a comfortable nice boat for my wife and our two dogs. We traveled over the last 4 days about 150 nautical miles up and down current on the Mississippi River, Pools 9 and 10. Used about 40 gallons of diesel, up current we ran about 6.5 knots average, and down we ran 10 or so.

Lots of interest along the way with our new to us boat, from lock masters to boats on the river to folks at the fuel doc, that was fun for us. The Acadia is not a large boat but I will say my wife (6'0) and myself (6'2") and our 2 - 60 plus pound dogs did sleep in the single birth with the AC on and were very comfortable.

We had the locks all to our selves and talked with the lock master about our boat.

Eventually we made it up to La Crosse and then putted our way north to the Black River. We stayed at a small marina and were the only ones there, enjoying the maria to ourselves with a great sunset.

We motored back early and had awesome conditions, for hours no one was on the water - the river is so beautiful. The Acadia is an awesome trailer-able trawler, and just about perfect for a couple who like to explore. So far since mid June, we have put on 35 hours and have plans to continue to cruise with her ... adventure is just a truck ride away.

Bob.

Attachments

• Floatiing in Lock 8.jpg
    Floatiing in Lock 8.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Entire tiny marina to ourselves.jpg
    Entire tiny marina to ourselves.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 83
  • Just reached La Crosse!.jpg
    Just reached La Crosse!.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 60
  • early morning life at 8 knots ... nice!.jpg
    early morning life at 8 knots ... nice!.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Morning travels.jpg
    Morning travels.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 62
Nice ride out.

ForceMultiplier,

What pics would you like to see, there are some on page one and two of this thread. Is there a particular picture or so you would like to see?

Bob.

ForceMultiplier,

What pics would you like to see, there are some on page one and two of this thread. Is there a particular picture or so you would like to see?

Bob.
Pictures of the inside setup, please - cabin and V-berth.
What kind of A/C do you have and where is it mounted?

Ok, lets see - the air conditioner is Mermaid, 6200 BTU. It is located under the V-birth, just aft of the bow thruster, so the price for amenities is lack of stowage.

Here are pics of the inside birth ...

Cabin 1.jpg

Cabin 2.jpg

Next are pics of the aft cockpit and helm. It is not really a working type boat now, it is a pleasure craft for entertaining and cruising with my wife and our two dogs ...

Attachments

• Empty deck, old teak.jpg
    Empty deck, old teak.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Deck 1.jpg
    Deck 1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Deck 2.jpg
    Deck 2.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 56
  • deck 3.jpg
    deck 3.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Deck 4.jpg
    Deck 4.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 70
Last two,

Home on trailer waiting to explore Lake Michigan this weekend. I just have to get time to remove the Prescott Arizona tag from it.

Bob.

Attachments

• Trailer at home.jpg
    Trailer at home.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Hono name.jpg
    Hono name.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 56
Bob:

How do you power your A/C at anchor?

David

I have a 2000 watt portable Generac I bring along. It will run the fridge, AC and battery charger all at the same time, but that is a big load for it.

Bob.

Very nice Bob. I could spend a week on that boat pretty comfortably.

My Mainship Mk1 has Downeast attributes.

Dig your boat and it's trailerable to boot. You lucky dog.

The best part about trailerable boats is this, we purchased the boat in
June ... so far we have put over 60 hours on her. She has been in the Gulf of Mexico, well over 150 nm on the upper Mississippi River, and we just got back today from a trip to Lake Michigan, exploring Milwaukee to Racine and back. We have experienced swells, chop, 4 foot waves with an occasional 6-er , 20 plus knot winds, 4 knot current and of course more pleasant conditions. The little big boat is comfortable and easy enough for a couple to handle. The versatility is exactly what we were looking for, visiting the Gulf, the Missy, and a Great Lake all in a little over a month. Trailerable trawlers are awesome!

Bob

... Trailerable trawlers are awesome!

We do similar things in our boat. Had it on Lake MI a couple of weeks ago. On the way home spent a night each on two different lakes. One in OH and one in PA. Had the boat on many other bodies of water in the past (including different places on the same large body).

IMO, way better than a slipped boat where you cruise the same area over and over and over ....

Back
Top Bottom