Electrical Surveyors in Tampa Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonScatt

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jackie Season
Vessel Make
Beneteau 50' Swift Trawler
All-
I have a super vexing and soon to be very expensive problem. I picked up my 2019 Beneteau Swift Trawler from the dealer on May 2. The boat had been displayed at boat shows all over FL and used for demonstrations, so there was about 100 hours on it, so it came to me with a 100 hour service on the engines and generator and fresh bottom Paint from a reputable yard.

During the second week of ownership I noticed the bottom paint peeling from the trim tabs. I had my usual dive service do the bottom on 6/3. The diver called me FROM THE BOAT to tell me that the paint on all the metal at the stern - trim tabs and hydraulic lift arms - was flaking off under his hands. He went so far as to send me a video.

The same reputable yard pulled the bottom and confirmed the problem. The owner told me he had sandblasted, primed and painted it properly and he suggested electrical leakage, but he reblasted it, primes it, painted it and got it back in the water in 72 hours so the rest of the paint didn’t dry out.

I contacted the dealer and they sent they’re electronics guy to check, and he gave the boat a clean bill of health.

Today I got my dive report for this month and the same thing is happening again. If it’s electrical I’m pretty sure it must be my boat because no one else in the marina is complaining about this. Bottom line, I want to have a full electrical survey done on the boat and slip so I know how to proceed,

Anybody have any suggestions on a GOOD electrical surveyor in Tampa Bay?

Thanks,
Don

T

Last edited:
found this?

Stray-current corrosion is usually caused by a DC voltage source, such as a battery, accidentally connected between two isolated metals wetted with a common electrolyte, such as seawater. In seawater, the metal connected to the positive terminal will suffer from rapid and catastrophic damage, and white calcareous deposits will form on the metal connected to the battery's negative terminal.
Note that for stray-current corrosion to occur, there must be two isolated metals submerged in seawater (with no bonding system installed). For example, if a radio ground plate is connected to the battery negative and an alternator positive conductor faults to an ungrounded engine block, the prop shaft and prop can be destroyed in a matter of days. However, if the two wetted metals are interconnected with a bonding or grounding conductor, then stray-current corrosion is virtually impossible because the bonding/grounding conductor would short-circuit the errant voltage source. Preventing stray-current corrosion requires boat owners to periodically check their 12-volt electrical system for loose wires or poor or inadequate connections, especially in bilge areas, which can be full of seawater that acts as an electrolyte.

and this

Epoxies bond to surfaces at the molecular level by tiny electrical charges. Sometimes in marine settings there can be pre-existing electrical charges in the underwater environment that interfere with the bonding mechanism of the coatings. Such electrical cells can be either intentional or accidental.

Active or passive cathodic protection systems, designed to protect against underwater corrosion, will produce electrical fields that disrupt coating bonding. Dissimilar metals in the immediate vicinity (identified or unidentified) will also produce stray electrical fields. Even chemicals and pollution in the water may be responsible for or enhance the voltage of existing underwater electrical cells. The problem is more often observed in dirty harbors, full of unidentified metal junk, and chemical/industrial waste. Even ongoing arc welding on a ship will produce electrical charges on and around the hull. Ships tied to dockside facilities with their own cathodic protection systems or sloppy electrical systems, can cause underwater coating bonding problems on conductive (metallic) surfaces. Generally there is no problem on non-conductive surfaces such as concrete and wood.

---

I would be on the phone with Beny Monday morning, the boat must be under warranty

Oh believe me, I’m there. Thanks for the quick reply

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom