soldboats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
Thinking (just thinking at this point) of selling our current boat. If anyone would be willing to run a soldboats report please PM me. Thanks.

Soldboats is part of the Yachtworld system and is only available to paying subscribers like brokers and surveyors. It gives actual sales prices and has all of the search features of the public Yachtworld and includes the sold date range. Very useful in determining real world boat values.

I used to have access through a broker's account, but alas no more.

David

Last edited:
What’s a SB report?

Yacht World publishes actuall selling prices of all boats sold on Yacht World on a subscription only website called soldboats.com

Info includes all previous sales listings including photos, Location of vessel, date listed. Asking price, date sold and actual sales price.

Maybe it has changed from in the past. Previously it relied on subscribers entering information about the sale. Since Yachtworld is a listing service, it is not part of the sales transaction.

When doing search's for previous boats, I did find occurrences where the sales price in soldboats was significantly higher than the asking price since I had looked at those boats. On two boats that come to mind, I had visited both boats in person so had a good idea what they were. Deeper than just looking online.

All that said, if a given boat has significant velocity (ie: lot of transactions) the data probably evens out over time and is pretty accurate. If there is only 1-2 sales per year reported, much tougher to rely on the data.

My approach when selling and buying changed to searching available sources for the mfg/model to review Asking Price. Assume there is some discount (5 -10 %) - I think that is a more accurate way to determine what a given boat is worth.

Just my opinion...

Greetings,
As above. I've heard that brokers may inflate the sales price, perhaps to make themselves look better.

Re soldboats sounds like a good list to have access to.

But the essence of soldboats could be mostly had by knowing the percentage of difference there is between the typical asking price and the sold price. Could that be had? I’m sure it’s well over 10% but is it over 30%?

RT you mean the soldprice?

Greetings,
Mr. NW. Yes. Sold price. A broker lists a boat for a certain price and it sells for 10% to 20% less for instance. Broker reports he sold the boat for full price. He's a heck of a broker...See, says so right here in soldboats.

A helpful member here was able to supply the data I requested.

A helpful member here was able to supply the data I requested.

Glad you got what you needed.

To answer those who say that brokers inflate sales prices:

I was a broker for a short while some 15 years ago. Yes I saw a few instances of the broker reporting a price higher than the actual sales price. How did I know this- I was on the buyer's side of the transaction and I looked at the Soldboats price that the seller's broker reported. But I only saw this happen when the boat was resold by the dealer for that boat. Otherwise, for some 30 transactions I knew about, they were reported accurately and only a couple were inflated.

David

Greetings,
Mr. dj. Indeed. I don't think the practice is widespread but just a few "adjusted" sold prices can skew the values.

Greetings,
Mr. dj. Indeed. I don't think the practice is widespread but just a few "adjusted" sold prices can skew the values.

Yes, and if you are talking about buying a 3-4 year old boat many of these are resold by the original dealer, so there probably is a high level of distortion in the reported prices of those boats.

But after 5 years, the dealer doesn't care or the boats are sold by independent brokers, so the reported priced becomes fairly accurate.

I trust Soldboats more than any other source.

David

All the sold boat data I have seen, at least for coastal cruisers/trawlers includes the listing price, sold price, (most recent) listing date & sold date. Pretty easy to see if the numbers have been massaged, especially if there are 5-10 roughly similar boats. In my experience, the good buyer’s brokers can usually recount why each boat sold for the listed price - often from memory. Just more useful info in the decision tree

My bottom line about SB, if you see a listing that shows 2-3 boats, its probably not a good indicator of the value of your boat. Just the variability in condition of boats which impacts value makes it tough to know your value.
If you see 20 boats listed, then you have enough data to even out the variability of condition and reporting.

"SoldBoats" Reports

"SoldBoats" is a professional subscription portion of YachWorld. It is also used by lenders and tax departments along with those of us professional brokers to establish not only an "ask" price but to determine what a good offer is. In my 20 years I've found that the credibility is fairly well balanced: while brokers may want to "inflate" the selling price, buyers and lenders want to limit their exposure to the taxman and collateral outlays.
Here in California the property tax department and DMV (for CF registration) check the site on a regular basis.
If and when you do get a report, it is important to view each boat as options, engines, electronics and condition etc vary tremendously. Also, skip the "estate sales" and those of "liquidators" as they seldom represent the market.

For future reference, you can get the average selling price for free from BoatUS if you are a member. It is one of the services they offer. We used it both when pricing our last boat for sale (we did not use a broker), and before putting in an offer on our current boat. They won't give you the full sold boat data, but will at least provide an average selling price based on the model/year and options.

Powerboat Guide?

I just purchased the 2019 edition of Powerboat guide. Ivealso had many previous ones. They include sales prices for the boats listed if there is enough traffic in the model. Grantyed, the 2019 edition was written in 2018, but you can get an idea of previous sales prices.

I like PBG also. The problem is the pricing data does not go back too far.

Just purchased a boat in November and it showed up correctly. Two others like it sold as well in the past year and they two were listed correctly.

Attachments

• 20181127_133301.jpg
    20181127_133301.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 50
Soldboats

Not as extensive as yachtworld, but try www.soldboatprices.com and it’s free.

Not as extensive as yachtworld, but try www.soldboatprices.com and it’s free.

Actually it is soldboatprice.com, singular. But not much data. For 2001-2004 Mainships only two entries and both were 3-4 years old, not the model, the sale date. One was a Pilot 34, the other was a 400. So pretty useless.

David

Dave, I looked up several brands, not just one , and found several listings. Again, not as extensive as the info that you would normally have to pay for, but it may be helpful to some. Hope so.

Perhaps it is understood, but many, many boats sell without the assistance, and commission, of a broker. These sales are not recorded in SoldBoats/Yachtworld. SoldBoats is a data source. As has been said, when twenty 40’ Mainships sell in a 2-year period the data is pretty good. When four boats of a model sell in 2-years and only two are through Yachtworld, there is little value in the data.

Following the current public listings of a boat model you are interested in buying or selling, noting which ones sell, their price and relative value is another form of data. Many type-clubs, such as Krogen and Great Harbour, have public bulletin boards (classified’s) listing club members’ yachts for sale. Many of these are private listings that never appear in Yachtworld or SoldBoats.

In a private transaction, 100% of the buyer’s price motivates the seller to sell. Some buyers and sellers want or need the assistance of a broker. Many do not and for those that do not, the 10% commission overhead makes reaching a mutually satisfactory price agreement that much more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom