Do you boat with a parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A one-time berth neighbor, who lived aboard and cruised extensively, had parrot "Captain Bligh." Who else has a parrot?

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I have a peach-faced love bird, a small species of parrot.
Don't intentionally let it outside the cabin,

African Grey

We have a 14 year old (Teenager) African Grey and whenever we cruise, we bring her along with our one year puppy.

Only downside is the bird loves to mimic alarms, beeps, etc. so sometimes it hard to know if an alarm is going off or my bird.

Animals are so wonderful to include in cruising!

There was a macaw on a boat next to a friend's boat 2 winters ago in Marathon Florida that put construction generators to shame....

I doubt that bird is still cruising or maybe the owner isn't as that bid made that boat Persona non grata wherever it was.... :eek:

Full time liveaboard here. NO WAY. I keep the wild outdoors where they belong. In the the wild outdoors!

While I have a firm belief that everyone has a right to live in a way that makes them happy, I resent when someone elses 'bliss' bleeds into my tranquility.

I love dogs, I love that you love your dog. If we're neighbors I'm sure I'd love your dog and already know that my wife would love your dog. However, I don't love your dog barking 'constantly'.

The same goes with screeching children. I see the potential for a bird to become a cumbersome imposition on neighbors.

While I have a firm belief that everyone has a right to live in a way that makes them happy, I resent when someone elses 'bliss' bleeds into my tranquility.

I love dogs, I love that you love your dog. If we're neighbors I'm sure I'd love your dog and already know that my wife would love your dog. However, I don't love your dog barking 'constantly'.

The same goes with screeching children. I see the potential for a bird to become a cumbersome imposition on neighbors.

I agree. Barking dogs in an anchorage or at a marina are highly annoying. Pet birds would be the same if they are loud.

Children I have more patience with. Unfortunately, children take more time to teach appropriate behavior than dogs. Kids can sometimes be loud. They are only annoying if the adults fail to respond appropriately. FWIW, shouting at kids to shut-up, ignoring them completely, or slapping them around are not appropriate responses.

Pets aren’t a problem anymore than music is a problem. Owners of pets and music systems can be a problem however.

Amen.
Maybe its because I'm getting older but every day seems noisier than the last.
In Englewood Beach there was a parrot on one of the live aboard boats out in the anchorage. It would start screeching and then one of the neighboring homeowners would start yelling back from 100 yards away. Comical but got old real fast.

Hardly heard a peep from Captain Bligh.

Our black Lab, Radar, barks when someone comes to the house which is OK with me. He wants to meet everyone. However there is a friend of ours across the river that babysits occasionally for a Beagle that barks at everything and it gets old quickly. If it was her dog we would have to have a discussion about it, but since it is only a day or two at a time it isn’t too bad.

An advantage of wolves is that they do not bark.

Man domesticated wolves, turning them into dogs. Thus, man is responsible for barking dogs.

Last edited:
My kitty is very quiet. Only screams if her curiosity gets her into a spot she should not be in the first place. Sits on the bow watching marina denizens pass.

We have the perfect bird onboard. She is showy but quiet.

Attachments

• MadameMazanga.jpg
    MadameMazanga.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 109
My kitty is very quiet. Only screams if her curiosity gets her into a spot she should not be in the first place. Sits on the bow watching marina denizens pass.

Difference between cats and dogs is that a dog is like a 2 year old and just loves to say "Me too, Me too" and bark for attention. A cat on the other hand is like a teenager. Would rather sit in the corner playing video games on the phone and ignoring EVERYONE. I love my cat that knows where to poop and doesnt make a sound unless I am talking to her.

Cruising with two parrots http://www.idylltime.com

Several years ago we were anchored for the night near another trawler, so naturally we went to the other boat for happy hour. At first, their parrot made cat sounds which were amusing, but then suddenly their anchor drag alarm went off. I immediately headed for our dingy to return to our boat since if our hosts boat was dragging, ours may be too.

Everyone was laughing (except for me). The water was glassy calm. It was the parrot. I vowed then that I would never have an animal on board that was capable of sounding false alarms.

In a long ago college age former life I raised and trained parrots. Have had everything from your run of the mill Amazon yellow heads, Mexican Red Heads, various Cockatoos and Macaws. All had different personalities, some noisy and some not. They all had one thing in common that I would caution anyone wanting one on a boat about....5 minutes unwatched can result in your nicely varnished anything- toerail, wheel, cabinetry, ANYTHING, being turned to toothpicks. Shredded. Loved my parrots but learned the hard way. I would never have one on a boat. I guess you could keep one in a cage but that's just mean and no fun. And who has room for a full size parrot cage on a boat!?!?

Last edited:
I have always wanted a Military Macaw or a Blue one and I live in south Texas where it could live outdoors most of the year. I love their personality. But at my age I would not want to bond with a bird that could outlive me by another 50 years. It woulnt be fair to the bird.

Parrotts

The bird in the first post is a yellow naped Amazon parrott. We have two of those, plus a red lored amazon, plus a blue front amazon.

One of our past boats was named AMAZON DOT CALM. We had profile pictures of each bird posted on the transom along with the boat name.

Never brought the birds on the boat, though, the noise would be unbelievable. :facepalm:

Sounds like Captain Bligh is fine, though, not all parrotts squawk!

Parrotts

Calm down...
I concur that noise by people or pets is rude and uncalled for.
There are bad parents and animal owners everywhere and they suck.

We have an African Grey that LOVES her cage inside our trawler and stays in her cage when we are underway. I would never put her in danger. She is quiet in our cabin and does not squawk. (OK- she mimics a few alarms, but mostly just talks) I don't think it's "MEAN" to leave a house pet in it's cage...we have another cage outside at our home for her to enjoy nature, but enjoy it SAFELY.

Our puppy is trained...and does not bark. So chill out please. For many of us who love our pets, boating is a way to travel with them without having to put them in a kennel for boarding.

If you really want to vent, vent at the a-holes who rock our trawlers with no clue what a slow pass is about. Now that is rude, careless and downright dangerous.

I have a Norwegian Blue onboard. Lovely plumage! Seems as if it always pining for the fjords, however...

Calm down...
I concur that noise by people or pets is rude and uncalled for.
There are bad parents and animal owners everywhere and they suck.

We have an African Grey that LOVES her cage inside our trawler and stays in her cage when we are underway. I would never put her in danger. She is quiet in our cabin and does not squawk. (OK- she mimics a few alarms, but mostly just talks) I don't think it's "MEAN" to leave a house pet in it's cage...we have another cage outside at our home for her to enjoy nature, but enjoy it SAFELY.

Our puppy is trained...and does not bark. So chill out please. For many of us who love our pets, boating is a way to travel with them without having to put them in a kennel for boarding.

If you really want to vent, vent at the a-holes who rock our trawlers with no clue what a slow pass is about. Now that is rude, careless and downright dangerous.

Can appreciate your...sensitivity...to the issue. I don't think anyone is talking about responsible pet owners such as yourself. I find most are exactly that but it only takes one out of 20 with an out of control barking dog in an anchorage. As for the parrot, good for you. They do enjoy their cages and being out as well. What I meant about "mean" is someone who keeps one in a cage below decks 24/7. Don't think that is very kind to the bird at all!

I have a Norwegian Blue onboard. Lovely plumage! Seems as if it always pining for the fjords, however...
Ah, the delightful Norwegian Blue.With an unusual attachment to its perch,no doubt. And so quiet for a parrot....:)

Same squawking less poop? She puts in the appropriate place, at least. Cat follows us into adult litter box. Wants people to go with her.

I'm telling her on you!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom