Cutlass Bearing length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveandZoila

Vessel Name
Miss Rita
Vessel Make
2004 Heritage East
I have our “New” boat on the hard from some minor repairs. Its a 2004 Heritage East 46”.Thinking of replacing cutlass bearings. The tube holding the bearings is 12” long. But I found the bearings are 8” long, seated up to the prop. Don't know what length to install, although I have started looking and for 2” shaft I haven't found 12” bearings. Also where the shaft enters the boat, it looks like another cutlass bearing. The seals are dripless type. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20190701_100459.jpg
    20190701_100459.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 52
I only see set screws at one end of the strut. If that is correct then just go with the 8” cutless bearing.

I only see set screws at one end of the strut. If that is correct then just go with the 8” cutless bearing.
Why would you need them at both ends? Usually only have them on one end of a shaft tube.

If the alignment is good, really no down side, only upside to longer bearings.

Ted

Why would you need them at both ends? Usually only have them on one end of a shaft tube.

If the alignment is good, really no down side, only upside to longer bearings.

Ted

If he had set screws at both ends he could cut down two cutless bearings to 6” and insert them both. No reason to but some people get OCD. One 8” bearing is good enough. I doubt he has more than the one set of set screws that I can see.

If he had set screws at both ends he could cut down two cutless bearings to 6” and insert them both. No reason to but some people get OCD. One 8” bearing is good enough. I doubt he has more than the one set of set screws that I can see.
I would imagine that it probably had 12" bearings originally. Doubt a manufacturer builds a strut 4" longer than the bearing he intends to use.

Could always drill and tap for 2 more set screws at the other end if you want to use 2 bearings per strut.

Ted

"Also where the shaft enters the boat, it looks like another cutlass bearing."

The shaft diameter decides the distance allowed between bearings.

"Also where the shaft enters the boat, it looks like another cutlass bearing."

The shaft diameter decides the distance allowed between bearings.
"Also where the shaft enters the boat, it looks like another cutlass bearing"
There can be a cutlass bearing at the aft end of the stuffing box. I think these are often missed at bearing change-out time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom