Connecting Chain Links

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Wondering if anyone has put 2 lengths of chain together with a connector and felt the connection was strong enough to trust?
With the cost of new chain, I’m considering cutting off about 1/2 of my all chain rode (rusty part of chain) and replacing just the rusty part.
If you’ve done this, which connectors can you trust?

Thank you.

Taras

I'm sure the commercials do it all the time and you can find a good solution.

Me? With my longer term plans?

New chain is a very inexpensive alternative to being on the rocks somewhere remote!

But that's just me.

Again, I am sure it is doable in a very secure way. Just not for me, I would rather use disposable income to get new.

What Menzies said. Plus will it pass thru a windless?

I am pretty sure there are posts in the archives about this.

At the time I remember welding was an option, stainless link if it goes through the windlass and one keeps an eye on corrosion, and wide condemnation of the little links that rivet together.

Is there a quick way to cut through a galvanized, frozen hasp?

I can think of two other options. As an owner of a sailboat in addition to my power boat I am intrinsically cheap. So I would suggest end-for-end rotation of your chain so you are using the good part and the rusty part mainly stays in the chain locker. Alternatively you can have the chain regalvanized. Either is cheaper than buying half new and somehow connecting the new half.

As far as connecting new chain to old, I would take the chain to a welder who can open a link, connect the two chains with it and then reweld the cut link. You would need to put some spray galvanizing on that part of the chain.

I put one in about a year ago to more length of chain. I used a hammer link. I’m thinking the brand was Crosby. So far so good.

Last edited:
I just looked it up. What I used was called a missing link.

Crosby also offers a “Grade 100” link that appears slightly larger than the hammer one, but reportedly is tested at 2.5 times the working load of the chain. From the look of it, it appears to be designed to go through most gypsies. Anybody have experience with one of these?

Attachments

• 898BD9EF-4F00-43B3-9ADA-863223268151.jpeg
    898BD9EF-4F00-43B3-9ADA-863223268151.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,132
I used a peening link to extend chain to 400 feet on a previous boat. Had no issues in 10 years. The link passed through chain gypsy just fine.

This thread reminds me to check the Crosby missing link I installed 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I went on a six month cruise to the Bahamas with two sections of chain held together with the peened "c" links. They never gave the slightest problem, but I don't think I ever quit worrying about them. That was the last time I did it.

But, there was a site somewhere, that did extensive testing on various chain connectors, tested to failure, that I saw later, that me feel a lot better.

Here's one, but I don't think this is the one I was thinking of.

http://coxeng.co.uk/anchoring/c-links/

Last edited:
Some boaters have big budgets....others no.

Some boaters sail around the world with turnbuckles rated for their rigging and cost $xxx, others have rigging that cost 1/10 as much, is stronger and may survive longer.

Tech is out there to solve many problems....just because some don't like to deal with it, doesn't mean it isn't viable or a good idea.

Great comment, Scott.

Great comment, Scott.
I just try to stay on your good side as well as Don's. Larry knows I have his back so your supply of rum in February is always my pleasure..... :)

Rum, wine whatever you want. Looking forward to February and spending time with good friends and making Watfa cook. :)

Kenter shackles are for stud link chain. You must have a "real" trawler.

All the comment on Cruisers Forum points to Crosby missing link being the best as its forged, tested and goes through the chainwheel.
Unfortunately, near impossible to get in Australia.

Have someone here buy one and then ship it to you.

Paypal them in advance for the part purchase and then Paypal them in advance for the shipping.

I had a professional welder reweld a galvanized link and then regalvanized the chain. No issues with the welded link and don't worry about it.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom