Buying a boat overseas...anyone know how commission works when buying abroad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn James Brett

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
2004 Grand Alaskan 65
Hello all,
I am considering buying a boat overseas. Anyone done this or have first hand experience how the buying/selling fees work?
Here it's usually 10% or so that has been my experience. But what about a boat in europe? I have found my dream boat and have researched getting it "home" but curious about the buying process when buying in europe.
Thanks everyone for any/all thoughts and suggestions.

Hello all,
I am considering buying a boat overseas. Anyone done this or have first hand experience how the buying/selling fees work?
Here it's usually 10% or so that has been my experience. But what about a boat in europe? I have found my dream boat and have researched getting it "home" but curious about the buying process when buying in europe.

A written offer typically stipulates the price you will pay, who the brokers are, and who pays them. Just be sure it's clear what you pay.

A written offer typically stipulates the price you will pay, who the brokers are, and who pays them. Just be sure it's clear what you pay.

Thanks. My question though, so it doesn't really help me negotiating by not using a buying broker? The price of the boat includes the selling/buying comissions?

Thanks. My question though, so it doesn't really help me negotiating by not using a buying broker? The price of the boat includes the selling/buying comissions?

OK, different questions.

The norm is that buyer and seller brokers split the commission.

If there is only the seller's broker involved, you can argue that they should kick into the deal. But they will surely squeal over that.

Europe is a place. What country?

The broker and
boat are in France. Any suggestions?

Best be sure the boat meets US standards. Electrical systems can be very different and expensive to convert. Installed appliances such as stove, fridge and air conditioning might not be suitable for US electrical standards. Check it all carefully.

the boat is coast guard documented and started in the US and was shipped to Europe in 2008 so it is US electrical and document ready.

European commissions are not always the "standard" 10% of North American brokers. I negotiated the purchase of a UK boat for my employer in 2017. The commission was 4%. 3% for the broker and 1% for the Yachtworld listing

Depending of the price of the boat could be betwen 6% up to 10% for a cheaper boat

Just in the process of selling my Mother's home in UK. Real estate Commission (sole agent broker) is 1.5% (vs 6% in USA). I assume there is a similar lower rate for marine brokerage.

Negotiating and closing in France with a French broker and not using a buyer's broker is a very perilous undertaking. Make sure you have a good Documentation agent and Title search.

Why take

Negotiating and closing in France with a French broker and not using a buyer's broker is a very perilous undertaking. Make sure you have a good Documentation agent and Title search.

a buyer broker ? Even why take a broker ?
If you find by yourself the right boat you could by directly to the owner.

a buyer broker ? Even why take a broker ?
If you find by yourself the right boat you could by directly to the owner.

He mentioned a broker and rather than using the seller's I'd like to have my own involved too. I'd like one familiar with buying there and importing as well as I'd use a documentation service to make sure I had all bases covered. It may be rare but there have been those to ship boats to the US and then not be able to import them.

Hello all,
I don't know about commissions but a major consideration that is often over looked when buying boats from Europe is that European boats are wired 220 volts, it might require a lot of electrical rewiring to convert it to 110 volts, just a thought.....

When buying in the Netherlands a couple of years ago, I found the experience identical to buying one stateside. The commission is an issue for the seller, not the buyer. I did not use a buyers broker. The boat was fairly priced, was well represented by the broker and we did the deal painlessly in front of the seller within an hour of the survey ending. The selling broker did the paperwork for closing and getting boat out of that country and I did the paperwork for importing the boat to my country with the help of a marine documentation service.
Real slick, and I was expecting bumpy. Have not yet discovered anything to be disappointed about in the boat or the transaction.

It depends where you buy your boat. In the Netherlands the seller pays the commission to the broker. In southern countries ofEurope often the purchase price is exluding commission. Always be sure that V.A.T, is paid in Europe. We bought a boat in Italy and said to the seller that the price we would pay would be including commission and all costs. Delivery in the water after a survey. In Italy most transaction are done for a notary. So get informed well before do anything.

I don't know about commissions but a major consideration that is often over looked when buying boats from Europe is that European boats are wired 220 volts, it might require a lot of electrical rewiring to convert it to 110 volts, just a thought.....

Long time ago we bought a Cheoy Lee 53, all wiring for 110 volts, but the former owner when arrive in Europe just put "converter on le line" from shore and generator and it work well during decade .

For the VAT

It depends where you buy your boat. In the Netherlands the seller pays the commission to the broker. In southern countries ofEurope often the purchase price is exluding commission. Always be sure that V.A.T, is paid in Europe. We bought a boat in Italy and said to the seller that the price we would pay would be including commission and all costs. Delivery in the water after a survey. In Italy most transaction are done for a notary. So get informed well before do anything.

If I understand he want ship this boat to USA , and i thinks he don't absolutely need a boat with vat paid because he will export her to USA.

My advice would be go to France and inspect the vessel your self and or if you do not have the know how take some one that does.My own experience of Buying cars motorcycles and boats from the USA is the purchases done sight un seen have been my only mistakes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom