Tools on board. Metric? SAE for sure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
When I was an auto tech in the '90s, I ran into vehicles with both standard and metric fasteners. I still see it from time to time with some equipment I own. When I moved on from being an auto tech, I sold most of my tools. I had no place to move several thousand pounds of tools and tool boxes at that time. Now I have a nice tool assortment to do most anything auto, home, or maintenance to lawn and garden equipment.

Starting this boat build has got me thinking about the mixed SAE and metric fastener situation. I know everything I build or have fabricated will be SAE. My engine will be a Kubota based Beta 38 with a PRM 60 transmission. So far my steering will be SAE. What about things like autopilot pumps and other various systems that may not be made in the US-A? Will I run into mixed SAE and metic fasteners? I ask because I found that Metrinch is still making tools. Back in my auto tech days, I carried a set of sockets and wrenches, with me, made by them. They work on the flats of fasteners and not on the corners. They work well but are pretty expensive. They replace metric and SAE tools with one tool or tool line up. They are/were famous for removing rounded fasteners. I'm considering buying a set before I get to deep into my boat build. Then, I plan to take them on board as a permanent addition to the spares department.

How often have you ran into the mixed metric and SAE nuts and bolts problem onboard your vessel? Is it worth it to buy a dedicated toolset for the boat? I'm not crossing oceans but I may be a good way away from civilization at times.

https://www.amazon.com/76-Piece-Met...48b70e16ed788f109f71cc4edaf5f7&language=en_US

Scan%20Metrinch%201-145.jpg

I have a whole seperate set of tools on board. I was lucky to have taken Bob Smith’s seminar on the Ford Lehman and he gave us a list of tools to carry for the Lehmans. There was only a couple of metric tools he listed so I have just them.

I have an old WM toolbag that I carry both SAE and metric open and box end wrenches and sockets. I have 7 to 19 mm for metric and 3/8 to 13/16" in 3/8" drive and 3/8" down to 1/4" or maybe smaller in 1/4" drive.

I have used virtually all of these wrenches at onetime or another on boats, cars, and home fixups over the years. I couldn't imagine living with either one type or the other. All seem to be needed.

David

I carry both SAE and metric sockets and end wrenches in the boat. I don't want to get surprised far away from home. I have duplicate tools in my shop at home. I've found in the past that the one size I've needed i didn't have, so I'm trying to hedge my bets. On tools, for me more is better and too many is just right.

Last edited:
I have a complete set of 1/4 drive sockets, deep,shallow,sae,metric. Same with 3/8 drive only they are impact not chrome. I care only SAE wrenches but I carry a standard length and an extra long length from 1/4” to 15/16”. Can’t tell you how often you need two 1/2 inch wrenches. I carry a 1” adjustable and a 2” adjustable wrench.

I have a whole bag of other hand tools as well. I have a large boat so storage is not really an issue for me.

I liveaboard and have most of the tools I ever owned. I have a bolted down, roll around tool box and several boxes of other tools related to mechanics. And a bunch of sanders and other tools related to marine. I have both US and metric because the US government failed me a long time ago. Even my Ford truck is metric, but not my Detroits or Perkins.

I broke the springs in a U-Haul trailer moving my tools. Now they're ballast.

You will need both metric and SAE. It's so f-ing pathetic that we backed out of the world change to metric back in the 70s, all because of the whining from the auto manufacturers - who have all now gone metric...... So we remain the one third world country using SAE........

Your Kubota will be metric. My past Deere and Cummins engines have all been metric. But all sorts of other stuff is still SAE.

I've found that from 19mm/3/4" and larger, one standard will fit close enough.

I have both standard and metric, shallow and deep sockets, and the full range of open end wrenches. While I don't lend tools overnight, I have lent tools for a couple of hours to a boater docked next to me. He was quite embarrassed to have to ask for a few common tools that he hadn't considered, and was very appreciative. For the relatively small space that the common mechanical tools occupy, I think it makes sense to have the full selection. Mine are stored in the saloon (climate controlled) to avoid rust. One thing I have considered was separating them into 2 containers. The large combination wrenches will be used very little and always are on top of the smaller ones I need. Same for many of the specialty tools like snap ring pliers.

Ted

You need to carry the tools that your boat needs, if you have a anything but an old domestic or English diesel, you will need metric tools but more importantly the right ones. Use the tools stored on the boat to perform all maintenance to ensure the are everything you need.

Many boaters keep tool kits on boat that are pretty low quality tool kits with the thought that they are seldom used so they can tolerate their shortfalls. Some of these are fine but others are worthless junk, the only way to know for sure is performing regular maintenance on your engine with the tools you keep onboard. Make sure you actually have the right combination of extensions, deep sockets or second set of wrenches to change a water pump, adjust belt tension, change a starter, etc. Some tasks require two of the same size wrench to get something loose and you cannot reach one side with a socket wrench but no off the shelf tool kit is going to have two of the same size. You need to do a little hands on research. You don't need to spend a fortune, I have found that many of the stuff sold at auto parts store is perfectly serviceable. On wrenches, be sure they are not too clunky, as in too much material around the open end of the wrench can prevent you from having much range of motion in tight spots, they do this to make up for inferior steel but it can make the tools worthless, I find cheap homeowners toolsets to be the worst in this aspect.

US based steering, shaft and hydraulic fittings are SAE. Kubota is metric. Many hose clamps are SAE. Most hardware store bolts and nuts are SAE.

So you will need both.

As you go through your build you will have to buy some oddball tools. By the time you are done you will absolutely know what to keep on board.

Been there, done that.

Not mentioned are swivel sockets. multiple sizes extensions and swivels can make difficult jobs easier. I make it a practice to leave every tool I use on the boat. After a while I'm well covered. Even on a new boat you can estimate what tools will be needed.

No set of wrenches or sockets I have seen has every size I needed so I always wind up adding. Forget those pretty boxed sets as there is never extra room for the other sizes you need.

Six point sockets are best IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I have all the tools mentioned and more in my tool boxes at home. I had thought about buying a quality set of thin wrenches. I'm glad that was mentioned here. I'll pick up a quality set of SAE and metric line wrenches and thin wrenches. I know I'll need them for the hydraulics and working on some of the engine parts like fuel lines.

My 19/32 wrench keep disappearing when I have a worker on board. LOL
MORE screw drivers, various lengths and lengths both phillips and straight blade.
socket extensions
set of metric wenches and SAE, set of wrenches both metric and SAE
Set of 3/8 metric and SAE sockets, deep well too(?)
Dead blow hammers
Claw hammer
couple pieces of scrap lumber to use with punches, gasket cutters, back board for drilling holes.
Sure would be nice if you had a place for a medium size vise
Hack saw and extra blades
punches, drift pins, crow bar
Electric drill, battery powered (?), set of drill bits and extra small drill bits, couple of grinding wheels
Dremel and a bunch of bits to use with it
Gasket material, couple different thickness, standing knife
3 sizes of adjustable wrenches aka Chinese socket set
3 sizes of water pump pliers
2-3 sizes of vise grips

That's all off the top of my head.
segregate the wrenches and screw drivers and sockets and pliers and wire cutters into separate small tool bags.
Extra small tool bag to gather up the tools for your intended job.

Ah, 8ft of hose for your boat. common size on my boat... 3/4 inch
More hose clamps than you can possible use in a life time.
extra SW strainer baskets

You have that all onboard and you have a pretty good start.

That fancy plastic that house all those tools? Looks nice.
I will admit bringing my Nordhavn down from Long Island to Miami with 2 screw drivers, 1 adjustable wrench, 1 pliers. Never used the first tool. AND of course, the quality of those tools was questionable. LOL

You'll find you can never have to many tools.

Right about the time you find you don't have the 'right' one....

Experience talking...…

I have a whole seperate set of tools on board. I was lucky to have taken Bob Smith’s seminar on the Ford Lehman and he gave us a list of tools to carry for the Lehmans. There was only a couple of metric tools he listed so I have just them.

Hello Comodave,

Would it be possible to share that list - being the owner of two Lehmans I’d be very interested. Thanks.

Romany275

Recommendations for 1986 Volvo Penta?

I’m a big believer in quality tools so I have a very nice chrome adjustable wrench from China, a two pound hammer and a ten pound sledge hammer. If it can’t be fixed with those tools it can’t be fixed. I forgot I have a screwdriver bit on my Swiss Army knife. :)

Greetings,
As mentioned it's great to have the proper tools at hand BUT a standard SAE set WITH the addition of a 10mm and 17mm wrench/socket will handle 98% of machine type jobs on board IMO. NOTHING fits a 10mm or 17mm fitting except those specific sizes.

... It's so f-ing pathetic that we backed out of the world change to metric back in the 70s, all because of the whining from the auto manufacturers - who have all now gone metric......

As an avid mechanic (amateur), I've just never been able to get that bent about the dual systems to get profane publicly about it, but to each his own. On the other hand, this:

So we remain the one third world country using SAE........

Just doesn't stand up to serious scrutiny:

Attachments

• Metric system.jpg
    Metric system.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 252
Hello Comodave,

Would it be possible to share that list - being the owner of two Lehmans I’d be very interested. Thanks.

Romany275

Unfortunately I lost the list after buying my set. I sent American Diesel an email requesting the list. If they are able to send me a list I will post it for Lehman owners. I will be happy if they send me a new list.

RT. My metric and ASA took kit is adjustable. It fits everything.

I have both on board
But then on my nta855m Cummins there are some of these bastards incorporated type boltheads.

Attachments

• 31vBHdpyzNL.jpg
    31vBHdpyzNL.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 227
OD. You have listed far too many tools. :)

Hi!

Could you possibly share Bob Smith’s list, please.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom