View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
ben2go
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Tools on board. Metric? SAE for sure.

When I was an auto tech in the '90s, I ran into vehicles with both standard and metric fasteners. I still see it from time to time with some equipment I own. When I moved on from being an auto tech, I sold most of my tools. I had no place to move several thousand pounds of tools and tool boxes at that time. Now I have a nice tool assortment to do most anything auto, home, or maintenance to lawn and garden equipment.

Starting this boat build has got me thinking about the mixed SAE and metric fastener situation. I know everything I build or have fabricated will be SAE. My engine will be a Kubota based Beta 38 with a PRM 60 transmission. So far my steering will be SAE. What about things like autopilot pumps and other various systems that may not be made in the US-A? Will I run into mixed SAE and metic fasteners? I ask because I found that Metrinch is still making tools. Back in my auto tech days, I carried a set of sockets and wrenches, with me, made by them. They work on the flats of fasteners and not on the corners. They work well but are pretty expensive. They replace metric and SAE tools with one tool or tool line up. They are/were famous for removing rounded fasteners. I'm considering buying a set before I get to deep into my boat build. Then, I plan to take them on board as a permanent addition to the spares department.

How often have you ran into the mixed metric and SAE nuts and bolts problem onboard your vessel? Is it worth it to buy a dedicated toolset for the boat? I'm not crossing oceans but I may be a good way away from civilization at times.

https://www.amazon.com/76-Piece-Metr...language=en_US

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote