View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
Lepke
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
You can clean the tanks w/o cutting them open. I've done it many times, mostly for other people. It's a direct result of water the tanks and no fuel conditioner. I use a conditioner every time I fuel, whether I plan on using the fuel right away or not. The right conditioner will kill the organisms and make it easier for a full size Racor to remove the water. Without water, the organisms cannot live.

You can pay a fuel polisher or buy a pump, if necessary a better Racor, kill the organisms, and probably circulate the fuel for several days. Killing a mess like yours will take at least a 3x dose and maybe additional dosing. Until you kill the organisms, everything else is wasted time.
My current boat sat 6 years without any mothballing. It has 4 tanks capable of holding 2000 gallons total. Only the day tank was accessible. I used a 3x dose of Algae-X and I pumped the fuel with the transfer pump thru a 900 Racor with a 30 micron filter between tanks. Later with the engines. I got a lot of water, but never plugged the filter. Now I run a 2 micron. 3 years later during a remodel I entered the tanks and they were clean, no water, no debris.

I currently use Archoil AR6200 I like a little better and have used it to clean tanks for other people.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR6200-compressed.pdf (1.61 MB, 95 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote