Survey costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
I always purchased new boats in the past, but will need a surveyor for an upcoming purchase of an older 40-44'

What has been your experience in these fees.

When we bought our current boat 4 years ago it was $18 per foot.

My surveyor usually charged me in the neighborhood of $600 but we had a long history together. $20 a foot for 40-44 feet wouldn’t surprise me. Expect more for a 50-60 foot boat. Don’t forget the cost of haul out.

"I always purchased new boats in the past, but will need a surveyor for an upcoming purchase of an older 40-44'."

You purchased a new boat WITHOUT a survey?

Correct, they were under factory warranty.

Why do think banks & insurance companies have no such requirement?

You should consider a second surveyor, an engine surveyor. Both the hull surveyor and engine surveyor can check the boat at the same time - both will require a sea trial - or if you have concerns about the condition of the boat, have the hull surveyor results first and then consult with an engine surveyor if the hull surveyor recommends it and you decide to proceed. Get recommendations for an engine surveyor experienced with the engines in the boat, including the generator, if there is one (or two). Talk to the engine surveyor about the cost of the survey; get multiple estimates if you can.

I haven't heard too many people, if any, say that the money spent on surveyors was a waste, but you should do your own educated appraisal of the boat's condition before calling the surveyors. Refer to Boat Search 101 and Marine Survey 101. Trust your own results, set aside any emotional attachment you've already made, and don't bother paying a professional surveyor if not needed. If you do decide to proceed to purchase, the insurer and/or loan agency will require a hull survey done by an accredited professional.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

I paid $1200 for a survey and all they did was list the equipment. I don't think he ever even checked the oil. He checked all the boxes so I could get insurance, that was about it. Took lots of pictures. I paid for the haul out, boat is 65'

Depending on the expenditure, I think a lot of folks would get a survey even on a NEW boat. Just because something is new doesn't necessarily mean it has been done right! Having a survey upon delivery can fix any manufacturing errors early.

With my skinny wallet, not a decision I would have to make! :D

Jim

I sold 4 sailboats that I bought new and watched them being surveyed.

Some were better than others, but know what they should be doing to do it right.

Before I hire the surveyors I'll do my own inspections to find obvious issues and maybe bail at that point.

1) Factory warranty has usual CYA verbiage that protects the factory, PLUS it is up to you to discover the defects & return the boat before it runs out. I guarantee you a good surveyor will $ave you money, not cost you. Get yourself a sea trial & someone good to go over your engines, etc., too, exactly like buying a used boat. You will be amazed how many wrong things will turn up. Much better to find them prior to title transfer when factory is VERY motivated to complete sale.
2) Bankers know nothing about money or boats; insurance companies know nothing about what they insure (which is why my boat ins. co. quickly went bankrupt). That is why both banks & insurance companies always overcharge. They have to cover their mistakes in addition to making their obscene profits.

if you say so, I disagree

I always purchased new boats in the past, but will need a surveyor for an upcoming purchase of an older 40-44'

$20 / foot plus haulout is reasonable for a good hull and condition surveyor. $600 - $800 for engine survey on a single engine boat, more for twins. Get the broker and seller to agree to a cold start for the engine survey.

How old is older? If you've watched surveyors work then you know they tap the hull, decks, house sides and tops to find delamination. Many will use a moisture meter as well. Consider doing a pre-survey yourself to reject obvious defective boats. That's what I've done since a purchase went south recently due to excessive de-lamination and high moisture in the decks, cabin sides and house top. I can't by any stretch of the imagination call myself a surveyor. But I can find obvious problems and save myself $ by not surveying bad boats.
Tapping is self explanatory. A sharp report or a dull thud. Dull thuds are bad. Moisture meters require quite a bit more experience and knowledge to yield good results, but I am reasonably confident I can find obvious bad spots.

Before you tie yourself in knots over a moisture meter....
Moisture Meters on Boat Hulls: Do They Produce Reliable Results?

Moisture Meter Mythology , NDT(and a soupcon of Thermal Imaging)
Understanding The Moisture Meter

Do ask permission before you do your own pre-survey survey. You will be held responsible for any damage to the gel coat or other finishes.

"Why do think banks & insurance companies have no such requirement?"

The bank doesn't care f the engine doesn't move the boat, if the shower is warm or the reefer never gets cold and kills the batts in 30 min.

The ins co just cares you never, ever make a claim ,,not if the boat goes faster in reverse than fwd.

Some folks find a pre-deliver survey is like all others ,

the surveyor will attempt to find enough wrong to pay for his survey.

Last edited:
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

$25 /ft. In Annapolis MD area— just had one done!

I humbly recommend that you go back to Greg Brannon's post and read it line for line over again. He recommends: (1) read Marine Survey 101. This was written by a Port Credit Marine Surveys and it is a very comprehensive look at a pre-purchase by a prospective owner. Then, Greg says (2) Hire both a hull and engine surveyor and have them both go over the boat. Get some local recommendations for thorough surveyors.
You are considering the purchase of an older 40 + foot boat. Any money you spend on surveys and pre-purchase investigation is money well spent. Some of the best decisions I have ever made have been to walk away from a prospective deal because of the survey.
Good Luck.

Survey

I just had a survey done last month in Florida and it cost $400. My boat was already out of the water on the hard. Normally would be in charge for that, 400-500

I would never consider buying a boat (other than a small outboard) with out a survey. Best money you can spend and I’m sure the surveyor will find multiple items that need repair.

Good luck finding a good, hardworking knowledgeable surveyor. The last 2 surveyors I had end up to be a waste of time and money. I even got one guy to return all my money. He knew he did a poor job, because he didn’t fuss about returning my money. Last boat I surveyed myself, gave the marina a list of maintenance items to perform and have had no surprises. The captain I hired to bring my boat home with me was well worth the money. He provided great info and training along the way. He even provided some training for my wife.

It’s amazing to me that people think a seller should fix everything wrong w the boat. Unless it’s new ... it’s not new. Old boats ... guess what .. samo samo. Used boats aren’t perfect.

Survey a new boat?

"I always purchased new boats in the past, but will need a surveyor for an upcoming purchase of an older 40-44'."

Did that once. Got a boat with a soaking wet hull which was discovered when the yard tapped the hull to install an tri-ducer. The hull core was dripping-water-wet. If I had not decided to augment the builders' basic electronics package, I might not have discovered the problem for years and maybe past any warranty.

Regarding cost, I have also purchased 4 used large boats in addition to the new one referred to above. I would ask knowledgeable people you trust for recommendations on a quality surveyor, not one who will do it for a price.

Back
Top Bottom