View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
rsn48
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
There are advantages of a single screw. First almost all commercial fisherman large and small use single screw vessels and many more other types of commercial vessels use single screw.

Diesels are great if used constantly, not so great if they have sat around for long periods of time, like most diesels on pleasure boats. If you see an older boat with low hours on the diesel(s), don't get it. Surprisingly high hours is better than low hours with diesel, and older marine gas engines.

If you have to re-power or rebuild, two engines is more expensive than one - logically.

If you get a single engine older boat, get one with a bow thruster or plan on having one installed. Forget all the folks here who insist you just need to be a great boat handler with one engine, many commercial vessels have them for a reason. It is entirely possible to be a great boat handler with a bow thruster involved.

Really look closely at your speed requirements. You can always slow down, but you can't always necessarily speed up. When I first got my boat I told me 7 knots would be fine. Now I want some speed especially in the first and last hours of cruising, then slow down to enjoy the area. As many, many here will tell you, fuel is often the least of your costs.

Look at a map, even google map will do of the area you will be cruising, you just need a rough assessment of distance, then decide how'd you like to get there and back, and cruise around where you are going. You may genuinely enjoy motoring on at 7 knots but then again there might be times you want to move quickly. To change styles of boats because you got it wrong will be expensive.

Try to purchase a boat that will serve your needs given the geographical/climate area you will be boating. Don't just go purchase a boat because it is neat looking; whatever you decide, you can find a great looking boat in that category.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote