VWC700 Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scallops

Vessel Name
QUEST
Vessel Make
SEA RAY 430 CONVERTIBLE 1988
I am looking for a shop to repair my VWC700 Vertical Anchor Windlass

It doesn’t seen to have any torque The gear box seem to be cracked

Thanks

Paul

Have you contacted the manufacturer for available parts and/or technical advice to determine what's wrong with it and the possible repair options?

Yes he has suggested to buy a new one a VWC1000 over 5000$ CAN with taxes

I live in Northern Quebec but I can ship it anywhere if you know somebody that has already work on this type of windlass and/or is handy

Yes he has suggested to buy a new one a VWC1000 over 5000$ CAN with taxes

Isn't this just a Maxwell Windlass? Is that $5,000.00 or $500.00.

$5K seems very expensive.

The answer you got from tech support person might be the best advice based on the info you provided. Perhaps they determined it wasn't economically feasible to repair it. Yes, you could pay $5,000 for a windlass, but that would be a much stronger, more durable windlass than the one you have - possibly overkill.

Things you haven't told us would help, like your history with the windlass, how old it is, if it ever worked, whether you changed system components recently - for example, adding a heavier anchor - if you know how to adjust the clutch mechanism, is there adequate voltage at the motor under load, the meaning of 'doesn't have any torque,' and when did that start, have you serviced the gear box, why did it crack, etc. Even with that info, we can't make the repair or replace decision for you.

You don't appear to want to repair the windlass yourself, which would be less expensive (maybe) than paying someone to do it for you. Parts and labor to have it repaired could easily cost more than the price of a new windlass even after you factor in the replacement install cost. Even if you installed it yourself, it won't be without expenses. I went through this myself recently with a different brand windlass and different problems, and repair was 1/3 the cost of replacing with an equivalent.

I suggest you ask other boaters in your area for repair options, marinas, boat yards, nearby machine shops to assess the gearbox, etc. Maybe a fellow Canadian can help. Google is always ready to help.

Good luck!

If you have a cracked gearbox, I wouldn't repair it. It has probably gotten water inside and froze to crack the housing. There could be other problems if that has happened. I would consider buying new one.

Back
Top Bottom