Proper fuel tank filling system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Finally !!

Sparkman anmd Stephens has a fantastic web site for folks looking for the better construction techniques.

I have long been a proponent of the concept that a fuel tank is not just a box of fuel.

http://www.sparkmanstephens.com/yachtdesign/design_typeplans/typeplans_M3.php

IF the new boat purchasers would DEMAND this style furl fill, we would have no problems from fuel , regadless of age or the water content when delivered.

Folks renewing iron or aluninum tanks night take this drawing to the builder.

FF wrote:
Sparkman anmd Stephens has a fantastic web site for folks looking for the better construction techniques.
******** This has served to remind me why I like Halvorsen boats. They have great construction techniques (IMHO) throughout. One that is relative to FF's post is the design of the fuel fills, water fill and pumpout access. They are recessed into the cabin wall so as not to interfere with going forward and aft & they are angled to shed water from rain and boat washing. (No standing water over the fuel fill cap.) Along with heavy hardware, bow rails, grid system throughout the hull, etc, they are a well built boat. I will admit to being a little biased as I have one and it only took me 11 years to discover the build quality of these fine little trawlers.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 09:22:41 AM

Attachments

• water fill.jpg
    water fill.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 115
  • port side.jpg
    port side.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 88
  • cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 106
SeaHorse II wrote:________________________________________________________
******** This has served to remind me why I like Halvorsen boats... the design of the fuel fills, water fill and pumpout access...recessed into the cabin wall, angled to shed water from rain and boat washing.
*I like the fuel filler NOT set into the deck like mine. I smear rubber safe grease over the filler "O" rings and cap threads to exclude the rainwater running over them.We never fill* the side water tanks until we finish refuelling.

Comparing your underwater hull shot to our IG36 "Doriana", suggests little, if any, design change, since at least 1981.* BruceK

Our technique is an 8 inch deck port that is removed . Then a common 2 inch pipe cap is unscrewed and the tank filled.

Any leak , or even the lack of the 8 inch cover would only equal some water in the boat , nor in the fuel tank.

KISS

FF--aready have the tank built but your last description of your fill system gives me a thought. Instead of system as it is--deck filler- I could cut the deck-put in a 6 or 8 inch access plate, shorten the now existing, straight down into the tank, hose connection and put a cap on the shortened (6 inch) hose that connects to the tank. Does that sound reasonable? No water stands on the existing deck mount so not sure how risky it is for water intrusion. Rubber acceptable grease on the O ring sounds like a good idea as well. Thanks

"and put a cap on the shortened (6 inch) hose that connects to the tank"

Works like a charm , because any deck water runs off the pipe cap and drains down.

Be sure to use a good sized bonding wire from the fuel tank to the threads for the cap , as well as to the deck plate if metal.

Some deck plated have a chain , so they cant be kicked overboard when loose.

Back
Top Bottom