Sandpiper gets a facelift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Sandpiper is a 2006 Ocean Alexander 42 Sedan powered by twin 6LY2A-STP Yanmars. (440 hp) Although the boat was in pretty good condition when I bought her, I have been trying to get her to like new condition for the last year. I'm almost done as we have decided to change out the carpeting on the fly bridge and throughout the salon & Staterooms. She also is sporting a new suite of electronics. Plotters, AP, fish finders with "down vision", radar & much more. I'll never recoup the money I've spent but this is the boat my wife & I want.:blush:

I recently had the cockpit teak cleaned for the first time in the boat's life. I can't believe the difference!

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 221
you must be neater than I, that teak that close to my grill would look like the BP Deep Water Horizon spill in no time...:D

Looks great! :thumb:

I'd say well done Walt but we've come to expect perfection with your boats. Maintained with an open checkbook is a phrase thrown around far to easily. It does however describe you and Mark Pierce's maintenance programs to a T.

Sandpiper is one pampered princess!

I love your boat!

Maybe a dumb question but is there a special boat carpet? Different than residential carpet?

you must be neater than I, that teak that close to my grill would look like the BP Deep Water Horizon spill in no time...:D
psneeld, It's all for looks....we never use it! :whistling: Seriously, the new Magma grilles are great! Everything is directed to the drip pan and we use aluminum foil in the areas of possible drips. The "angle" of the barbecue housing does 99% of the work, however.

Attachments

• Barbecue.jpg
    Barbecue.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 207
Walt,
Whadda try'in ta do fill up the hole in the water w money?

Walt,
Eric,

I'm fast approaching my 76th year and I've never had a new electronic suite. My kids have been informed that my plan is to spend my last $100 30 minutes before my death. I realize that someday someone is going to get a great boat when they BUY Sandpiper and that the money I'm spending will never be recouped. Besides, the direction that the country is going in will provide everything they need for free!:blush:

Maybe a dumb question but is there a special boat carpet? Different than residential carpet?
Not that I know of but a good commercial grade for the interior and bridge is what others in my marina are doing. Now, if I could only get Larry to photoshop some darker carpet in the photo, I would be ecstatic!

Attachments

• Via lido salon 3.jpg
    Via lido salon 3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 201
Eric,I'm fast approaching my 76th year and I've never had a new electronic suite. My kids have been informed that my plan is to spend my last $100 30 minutes before my death.
What better place to spend the kids inheritance but on the boat.:)

Walt,
No, just trying to update a 13 year old boat for one hell of s lot less than buying new.

My latest, just days ago, was replacing 12 year old TVs with new smart TVs and a Glomex antenna.

I now have HD on the boat and no more Direct TV monthly bills. :dance:

Attachments

• Salon TV.jpg
    Salon TV.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Master Stateroom TV.jpg
    Master Stateroom TV.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Telescoping Wall mount for easy maintenance.jpg
    Telescoping Wall mount for easy maintenance.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Glomex.jpg
    Glomex.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Looking good Walt. Keep spending those boat bucks. Every time we look at how our offspring spend money, we feel we better get rid of ours first.

Isn't that Lefty putting? Does your Glomex work offshore? What channel package do you receive?

Looking good Walt. Keep spending those boat bucks. Every time we look at how our offspring spend money, we feel we better get rid of ours first.

Isn't that Lefty putting? Does your Glomex work offshore? What channel package do you receive?
The flag would support a right hander putting...:socool:

There is no package (to my knowledge) with the Glomex antennas. They pick up the cities you are within 40 miles of and with no mountains in your way. (Example) When I'm on Catalina Island, I get all the LA channels. (26 miles away and all water in-between.)

In my slip I get 63 channels, many of which are in Spanish. (Tijuana?) I have 23 (English) that are in my "favorites." Very impressive for an "over the air" antenna and in HD too! If you Google Glomex, you'll see all the different models....mine is a 14incher and was $105+ installation. $325 total. if you have Direct TV or Dish on your boat, you can disconnect the antenna and re-attach it to the Glomex. (Or Shakespeare!) It should be noted here that old TVs probably won't work as their tuners aren't up to snuff like the newer LEDs & smart TVs are.:blush:

No, just trying to update a 13 year old boat for one hell of s lot less than buying new.

My latest, just days ago, was replacing 12 year old TVs with new smart TVs and a Glomex antenna.

I now have HD on the boat and no more Direct TV monthly bills. :dance:

Walt, have you tried streaming TV content into your Smart TV with a phone wifi hotspot? I recently added a Roku stick to my non-smart TV and link to my cellphone 4G for data when I'm away from my marina wifi source.

I watch our favorite channels with a YouTubeTV subscription of $45/mo. I'm impressed with how well it works. Sometimes, when I'm at the edge of coverage in some of my remote fishing spots, the content will buffer but usually it's just great!

Walt, have you tried streaming TV content into your Smart TV with a phone wifi hotspot?
I haven't got that far yet......Still finishing off the little TV in the Master stateroom. I can't believe the resolution for an OTA antenna though.

Attachments

• telescoped.jpg
    telescoped.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 84
  • shoved in.jpg
    shoved in.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 90
One of the best things I've ever added to the dinghy!

Attachments

• Cup Holder.jpg
    Cup Holder.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 88
You'll never again have to say, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

I can't believe the resolution for an OTA antenna though.

FWIW, resolution isn't a function of the antenna. If the antenna receives, signal strength "good enough" for your TV tuner... the combination of new digital broadcast (from the sender) and your TV tuner is what gets you whatever resolution.

IOW, given a decent over-the-air (OTA) HD digital signal, the tuner does all the resolution work. The picture quality would be the same if you used a coat hanger -- assuming you're close enough to a decent broadcaster for the coat hanger to work. :)

-Chris

FWIW, resolution isn't a function of the antenna.......

IOW, given a decent over-the-air (OTA) HD digital signal, the tuner does all the resolution work.
Thanks, Chris! AllI can say is that a new TV with a modern tuner makes all the difference! :dance:

Walt, have you tried streaming TV content into your Smart TV with a phone wifi hotspot?
All I know how to do is turn the hot spot on my phone on. After that, what do I:angel: do?

On FW, I turn on my phone's hotspot and power up my Roku stick in my TV HDMI port. I select the phone hotspot as the Wifi source on Roku settings then watch streaming TV on YouTubeTV via Roku. It works like a champ in my area. If I can receive cell data, I can watch streaming news/entertainment content.

How much data do you use watching TV? We don’t really use much data so we have a rather small plan now. Thinking about upgrading the data plan but have no idea how much data gets used just streaming.

On FW, I turn on my phone's hotspot and power up my Roku stick in my TV HDMI port.
I activated my iPhone's hot spot and went directly to "Prime Movies" on my Smart TV. Since I'm a Prime member, now I don't just get free shipping, I also get tons of free movies! :dance:(BTW, no monthly bills.:whistling:)

Horn Problems on Sandpiper

Continuing the facelift of Sandpiper, I decided to replace the entire electric horn system. The horns were corroded, leaking air and the compressor was running intermittently.

I had the entire system replaced ( horns, solenoid. pressure switch & accumulator) with the same brand (Grover) and now the compressor runs even after a 1 second blast! The time the compressor runs is 25 seconds to several minutes depending on how long the horn is used. Once it shuts off, it doesn't run again until the horn is activated again. Numerous contacts with the company have resulted in "that's the way the system was designed to work" answers. The old system, when it was working, never ran after each horn activation. ???????????? :banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom