Outboards with Torque. Looking ahead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
We've discussed the concepts of "trawler type" boats with outboards, cruisers. One of the issues often brought up is torque, although the engine manufacturers do offer some models designed for work boats.

Perhaps somewhat overlooked as it's not mainstream, Seven Marine was purchased by Volvo not long ago. Many of us wondered what the plan might be. Seven is low volume sales of very large outboards, currently 527, 577 and 627 hp. Well, it's getting interesting.

Recently a test was done with a Tiara Sport 38 and twin 527's. However, these weren't just regular 527's. They were coupled to Volvo's Duoprop drives. They use a ZF type transmission. 8 bladed props. Joysticks. 54 mph on that boat. Certainly enough power to push a much larger boat reasonably well. Perhaps ultimately an outboard perfect for a cruising boat isn't going to come from Yamaha or Mercury or Suzuki but from Volvo.

https://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Seven-Marine/54500218_527_2019

If you dig down into the review you’ll find that each motor has a pair of 4 blade DuoProps, not a single 8 blade prop. The pics show this clearly, also there is a caption that mentions “16 blades” pushing the boat which would be correct for the four separate 4 blade props on two outboard legs.

My problem with outboards in the PNW and coastal BC is not the engine, torque or speed. Or ease of access or easier to repair. On these counts the outboard wins. But on many boats, particularly lets say 36 feet and under, the swim platform is a great place to keep a dinghy which you need in these parts.

Different cruising areas have unique needs suitable for them. For example, with California having only 8 islands, a dinghy isn't a priority I'm sure. Or many areas off Florida. I still don't understand the large center console boats sold out east, I'm talking the big puppy, just saw a review of a 50 foot center console, definitely not my kind of boat. To my way of thinking something like that is more a cigarette boat than anything else.

But many will want to use their center console boat for water skiing. You don't see many water skiers in Desolation Sound, Jarvis Inlet or the Broughton archipelago area. When I was sailboating in the Vancouver, Howe Sounds and surrounding areas and a cigarette boat went by, fairly rare at that, I just wanted to hold up a sign that said: "Yes, your prick is bigger than mine!"

If you dig down into the review you’ll find that each motor has a pair of 4 blade DuoProps, not a single 8 blade prop. The pics show this clearly, also there is a caption that mentions “16 blades” pushing the boat which would be correct for the four separate 4 blade props on two outboard legs.

I didn't intend to imply otherwise, but misworded what I wrote. 8 blades, but not 8 bladed props.

The point is that it's closer to the drive they use on I/O's and even their IPS drives and a significant step for outboards.

My problem with outboards in the PNW and coastal BC is not the engine, torque or speed. Or ease of access or easier to repair. On these counts the outboard wins. But on many boats, particularly lets say 36 feet and under, the swim platform is a great place to keep a dinghy which you need in these parts.

Different cruising areas have unique needs suitable for them. For example, with California having only 8 islands, a dinghy isn't a priority I'm sure. Or many areas off Florida. I still don't understand the large center console boats sold out east, I'm talking the big puppy, just saw a review of a 50 foot center console, definitely not my kind of boat. To my way of thinking something like that is more a cigarette boat than anything else.

But many will want to use their center console boat for water skiing. You don't see many water skiers in Desolation Sound, Jarvis Inlet or the Broughton archipelago area. When I was sailboating in the Vancouver, Howe Sounds and surrounding areas and a cigarette boat went by, fairly rare at that, I just wanted to hold up a sign that said: "Yes, your prick is bigger than mine!"

Why were you bothered by a Cigarette boat going by?

We have a 39' Center Console used by our employees. They love it. Great boat to get out and enjoy the day, occasionally fish, mostly just ride around. Great people carrier in beautiful South Florida weather. Top speed is 57 knots so outruns any boat we run. Rides great. Cruises so nicely in the mid 30's.

I'm with you on the need for a dinghy and definitely if I was getting a boat for long range cruising would want some means of carrying one.

I have yet to hear a quiet cigarette boat, realize there are very few in Greater Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo or Courtney/Comox. I lived in a fjord and I always knew when a cigarette boat was coming.

Loud pipes don't save lives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom