Threaded Beer Cans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I don’t know what to think of this. Corona Beer has invented beer cans that can be screwed together. You can screw ten cans together like a stick.

I know there are a lot of beer experts on this forum. Can anybody tell me why you would want to do that?

Is there a use for the empty cans? Maybe you could build a dinghy mast with them.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/corona-unveils-stackable-cans-twisted-184536048.html

I don’t know what to think of this. Corona Beer has invented beer cans that can be screwed together. You can screw ten cans together like a stick.

I know there are a lot of beer experts on this forum. Can anybody tell me why you would want to do that?

Is there a use for the empty cans? Maybe you could build a dinghy mast with them.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/corona-unveils-stackable-cans-twisted-184536048.html
Choose this brand of beer because the cans screw together and you think we care about the environment. :nonono: The marketing department hard at work.

Ted

Beer/soda can cannons go back before my teen years...into the 60's at least.

I was made aware of highly technical people in small businesses with a sense of humor trying to out "potato gun" each other even to this day.

Not sure if this new development will assist in construction..... :D

While I am sure there have been a few accidents out there....I will bet the stats are pretty low compared to the number of cannons made.....fun has it's risks...we all take certain risks....stupidity is muti-level across the board.

Potato cannons, and more

Web search for "pumpkin chunking" long range throwing of 10 lb pumpkins, some by massively oversized propane potato guns. 700+ yard range.

Screwed this cannon upside down!

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 105
That's about the most redneck video I've ever watched. Did anyone notice the pile of empty beer cans and Mike's Lemondade bottles on the ground.

What those boys need is a spud gun. I have built over 20 of them in the past 30-40 years and given them to friends. The one I have now will launch a spud over a hundred yards.

It's definitely a guy toy, makes a lot of noise and shoots stuff. Great fun even when you're sober.

That's about the most redneck video I've ever watched. Did anyone notice the pile of empty beer cans and Mike's Lemondade bottles on the ground.

What those boys need is a spud gun. I have built over 20 of them in the past 30-40 years and given them to friends. The one I have now will launch a spud over a hundred yards.

It's definitely a guy toy, makes a lot of noise and shoots stuff. Great fun even when you're sober.

Did they make them illegal because someone get injured if you were unlucky enough to get hit by the potato?

Boy having fun:

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 112
Web search for "pumpkin chunking" long range throwing of 10 lb pumpkins, some by massively oversized propane potato guns. 700+ yard range.

The fall event they hold in Delaware is a hoot. 700 yards is nothing for the compressed air powered guns. They'd chunkin' at least a mile. I don't recall any of them using propane though.

There's also a range of trebuchet, catapult, spring, and other mechanical contraptions that compete. It's a hoot watching the scrambling over them trying to get them ready or repaired when things fail (often spectacularly).

My bad. There used to be propane powered ones. Eliminated because of danger of explosions. DUH!
We used to make tennis ball guns out of soup cans, powered by lighter fluid vapors.
JohnS

The fall event they hold in Delaware is a hoot. 700 yards is nothing for the compressed air powered guns. They'd chunkin' at least a mile. I don't recall any of them using propane though.

There's also a range of trebuchet, catapult, spring, and other mechanical contraptions that compete. It's a hoot watching the scrambling over them trying to get them ready or repaired when things fail (often spectacularly).

Sadly the event has moved to the midwest somewhere this year. I think Illinois but not sure.

UPDATE:
OFFICIAL RELEASE

It is official! The World Punkin Chunkin Championship is leaving Delaware. The team captains voted on a change of venue to the Village of Rantoul, Illinois. With 75% involvement, the vote was 70% YES and 30% NO. This is our event’s 4th change of venue since 1986. For over 33 years, we have called Sussex County Delaware our home but the chunk must go on. With many other Punkin Chunkin related events going on, there needs to be a World Championship.

Last edited:
Why do big companies create/market anything new anymore? --- to save the planet, of course.:confused:

"In an effort to move away from plastic six-pack rings, Corona is testing out a new type of beer can."

The idea anyone's going to carry beer like that is ridiculous. That and who's ever going to be carrying just two or three? Even with larger cans (like Foster 'oil can' sized) it's still not realistic.

Me, I'm more annoyed Corona changed their boxes a while back and removed any way to open them from the top, keeping the beer accessible vertically. Oh sure, it was probably cheaper to avoid having the cut-out stamped in during printing, but, really?

Well, I applaud a company trying new ideas, even if they are silly. I also like the movement to cans rather than bottles by more and more brewers. I really like beer on the boat. I really don’t like bottles. I also refuse to drink the classic American rice-based lager swill that has been available in cans.

It is wonderful to be able to drink a variety of good ales while on the boat.

Well, I applaud a company trying new ideas, even if they are silly. I also like the movement to cans rather than bottles by more and more brewers. I really like beer on the boat. I really don’t like bottles. I also refuse to drink the classic American rice-based lager swill that has been available in cans.

It is wonderful to be able to drink a variety of good ales while on the boat.

True, it is nice to have options.

Aluminum cans are often viewed as a lot more recyclable (as a raw material) than glass bottles, at least as part of general residential recycling stream involving multiple kinds of materials. Not talking about bottle returns for stuff like dairies or local breweries, as those programs are generally much more closely tied to the consumer/producer.

But, really? Threaded cans? Well, at least the can collector fanatics will have something to obsess over a decade from now...

I like beer!

I won't drink beer out of a can. If served in a can I will pour into a mug. And then drink.

I understand about beer bottles and boating. Or any glass and boating. There is a safety factor with the possibility of broken glass. But drinking beer out of a can reduces the experience for me. If we are serving beer in a can, gimme a mug. Even if it is a metal mug!

I understand about beer bottles and boating. Or any glass and boating. There is a safety factor with the possibility of broken glass.
In many decades of boating I've yet to have any glass bottles actually break on a boat. Wood, fiberglass... all the usual surfaces don't typically seem to cause dropped bottles to break. Now, denting teak or gelcoat, yeah, that's a problem... but glass/cans are equally problematic for that kind of damage.

So I don't really differentiate between glass or bottles when re-stocking the boat. Cans fit better in the fridges, so if they're on sale that's what I'll get. But those new skinny cans are annoying as most cupholders/covers don't fit.

I don't either. My boat's refer is stocked with bottled beverages.

However one of the areas I boat in is a National Forest. (I know what you are thinking. A forest I Arizona. Mostly cactus for trees) And glass bottles are forbidden. So when the ranger motors around checking for violations we conceal the bottles or stow them in the galley.

I have seen a number of passive solar heat exchangers made with beer cans glued or siliconed together. I guess screwing them together would be faster and easier but for the amount of these made it would not justify the beer companies changing over IMO.

Don't like Corona beer.

Prefer the taste of beer coming from bottles rather than cans.

Holding onto ice-cold cans of beer for transport is uncomfortable.

Current cans don't alter the taste of beer IMO.

I also prefer to drink beer from a glass or mug than a bottle or can. Amazingly, you can poor beer out of either into an appropriate drinking container if you desire.

One of the issues that boaters have in my part of the world it how to deal with garbage. We usually are in inland waterways. There is no place to go 3 miles off shore to legally dispose of trash overboard (and it is a bad idea anyway). Finding marinas that will take boating garbage, even with a fee, can be difficult.

So beyond the issues of breakage, there is the issue of onboard storage of garbage. Cans can be crushed. Bottles, not so much. Cans are lighter in weight than bottles as well. So while I refuse to drink Budweiser, I'm not so much of a beer snob as to avoid drinking canned beer.

FWIW, I like wine in boxes as well.

There are some acceptable ones and wayyyyy easier to store on a boat.....along with other reasons.

Both my kids (19 and 21) occasionally drink Corona. Why? I don't know. They think it's a pretty stupid idea, but allow that they may make for interesting sword fights around the campfire after a few.

Target market?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom